lets see YOUR two channel setups

----------------

On 7/10/2005 10:50:39 AM arthurs wrote:

Nah...just a rumor....unless there's room over at your place for all of us when my wife tosses me...then I'll give it a try
9.gif

----------------

I would love to have you over, but if my wife thought your friends were coming to stay (Dunlavy's), I believe a plot and gravedigger would be in order.6.gif

Maybe we can build some sort of "Halfway House," in our neck of the woods and put several systems in it. Our families could have visitation. 9.gif

here is what i hope to be my final step in stereo heaven

pair of craigs VRD's

juicy music blueberry with nos tube upgrade

teac X1000R reel to reel

marantz model 125 tuner

nakamichi RX 505 cassette

jolida jd100 CDP with tube upgrade

basis 1400 TT with rega 300, incognito wires, grado ref sonata cartridge

last but not least the MIGHTY KLIPSCH BELLES

setting here listening to vinyl frampton im in you and sounds so sweet "LIFE IS GOOD"10.gif JOE

Codhead, fabulous system as well! Can't never have enough tube amps, eh? Sweet!2.gif

Just curious...I'm thinking of trying out a pair of Loth-X Amaze single-driver (Fostex) bookshelf loudspeakers and I see you have the Abby's. Being single-drivers as well, I was just wondering what your thoughts are on their sonics, especially compared with horn-loaded Klipsch (love my Cornwall's sound...the Amaze won't have any useful bass below 50Hz and will require a subwoofer).

Loth-X Amaze.jpg

post-11084-13819266888504_thumb.jpg

Jim, those would seem to match quite nicely with the 300B amps. In principle, you might not be too ecstatic about single driver behaviour at higher SPL, e.g. the pipe organ stuff that the Corns and other three-ways handled so well for you.

I've actually been considering a similar plan for my bedroom system, though. I can't fall asleep with any reasonable SPL of music in the room. It tends to distract me. But anyway, I'm thinking of a single driver HE bookshelf, cheaply DIYed, matched up with a nice low power amp and compact digital source.

Then again, I've also considered buying those little plastic jobbies that Klipsch has for $80, and be done with it...

----------------

On 7/13/2005 11:02:57 PM jt1stcav wrote:

Just curious...I'm thinking of trying out a pair of Loth-X Amaze single-driver (Fostex) bookshelf loudspeakers and I see you have the Abby's. Being single-drivers as well, I was just wondering what your thoughts are on their sonics, especially compared with horn-loaded Klipsch (love my Cornwall's sound...the Amaze won't have any useful bass below 50Hz and will require a subwoofer).

----------------

For me, the single driver speakers still take some getting used to. In addition to the limited bass, they seem to like a fair amount of power to sound their best. With the Abbys, this often ends up being louder than I would prefer - at least for the type of music that they seem best suited to. I don't have a sub, but I've always been curious about how this combination would sound.

Ben, codhead, thanks for your replies. I'm still gonna give the Loth-X a whirl, though.

My brother just bought a pair for his lil' 4 watt 6BQ5 amp (Chinese Sonice modified by Erik Mandaville), so I'll try out his pair after they're broken in. Organ music at high SPL...well, we'll see.2.gif Worth a shot IMO.

Some of my 2 channel stuff. I also have an office/storage bedroom with more turntables almost 6,000 records reel to reels and solid state and tube preamps and amps some are restored some not yet. But if I showed you that room I would have to.....11.gif well you know. I left my wide angle lens at work so all I have are close ups.

My old Vandersteen setup with parasound and dynaco power!

13238listening-room-1.jpg

Modded Dynaco ST-70

13238dynaco-modedupload.jpg

Musical fidelity cd player

13238cd.jpg

My dads jve/niveco TT this was my first as I have pics of when I was 1 year old with this TT I'm now 35

13238jve.jpg

My Modded wright 3.5w 2a3's

13238wrights.jpg

My moded Thorens 160BMKII w/ rega 250 re-wired arm w/Ortfon 30 mm

13238thorens.jpg

My latest yard sale find. This came out of a 1958 Thomas console. No mods or anything. Its pure magic with my cornwalls and Khorns.

13238preandpower.jpg

More to come!2.gif

Your Thomas reminds me of my brother's '62 Magnavox single-ended 6BQ5 console amp that I borrowed before my 300B SET arrived from Hong Kong. The ol' Maggie sounded excellent with my Cornwalls too, even if it was only 2 or 3 watts per side.2.gif

DSCF0949B_73.jpg

post-11084-13819266889664_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

This is my 2 channel setup . Sony NS999ES DVD/CD player , Sony TA9000ES ( 1.8 Ver. ) pre/proc. , Quad 606 140 watt per SS amp. , '76 unmodded walnut Belles . Same pic I used in the home theatre thread . When I play music I play it flat , no sub , speakers set to large . " They are large after all " . Right now I am listening to the Diane Krall Live In Paris CD . Not exactly my cup of tea musicaly , but I must say the soundstage is incredible . You would swear the center speaker is on , but it ain't . The cat in the left corner of the photo is a kinda roving bass trap , really helps the dynamics of the room . [:P]

post-18289-13819269513558_thumb.jpg