For me, the war is winding down...

Mallette

...and I'll be shipping out soon. At home, there will be shouts of "huzzah!" and "well done!" and the welcoming embrace of my wife, son, and daughter. I am short, very short. Can't even see over my boots.

However, this evening I am still far away sitting alone in the summer heat of a foreign land with the sun setting behind the mountain. Such small comfort as provided by my little duty location music system is already gone with my household goods shipment and the only music I hear is that of the mind. I'm thinking about the R&R spent with Thebes down in the delta watching the fireflies flicker between porch and the river and listening to the answer of men to the music of the Gods waft through the heavy wet air. I am reminded of his Tails of the Twins that are much better experienced vicariously than in person. I've realized my objective is taken and my ammo is almost spent. As with all wars, there will be yet another objective and another will take my place and look towards the mountain while thinking of home, hearth, and 'horns. The war will go on without me. They always do whether you go home on your feet or on your shield.

This time next week I will have crossed the Red River into the Lone Star Republic and be home. I will have watched my son and daughter do dances of pure unadulterated joy to my Jan&Dean vinyl. They will soon be put to bed and my wife and I will cuddle to Miles Davis or whatever she desires. Perhaps her desires will turn to another form of music...

Well, that's were my head is. And that is where my heart is as the sun sets in this foreign land of Missouri where the war rages on.

Dave

Dang, HDBR, never knew you were a Sarge. Long time since I've heard from you...

However, just to make sure there are no misunderstandings here in my little tome which mixes reality and fantasy (as in real life), the close reader will note that my part of the war is as a civilian at Fort Lost in the Woods, MO. But since I feel the need to insure no one actually mistakes me for one of our honored soldiers serving in "the real war," I'll take a moment to indulge in a fit of pique over something that is just eating at me.

I did my bit in the one where a "grateful" nation is now trying to honor us by celebrating the occupation of Saigon.

Wish someone had remembered two years ago in April on the 30th anniversary of the end of American part of that war with the withdrawal of the last American forces from RVN under the Paris Peace Accords. Since I was there, or at least think I was, I remember this.

Nobody else seems to remember that.

Nobody seems to remember that we'd whipped Charlie to near ineffectiveness.

Nobody seems to remember that the NVA and NV itself were in deep trouble from our efforts.

Nobody seems to remember that it was not NV that forced the U.S. out of there, but complete lack of support at home.

Nobody seems to remember that, as soon as our combat troups were out, Congress passed the War Powers Act which prevented the President from acting in the event of NV military action in violation of those accords, effectively untieing their hands and leaving South Vietnam completely at their mercy...not to mention nullifying any meaning to the 55,000 of my friends and peers who gave the ultimate sacrifce in that cause whether they agreed or not.

Some of us DO remember that the last instructions we were given before boarding the "Freedom Bird" was to make sure we changed to civies at Clark so we could avoid being spat on and abused when we got off the plane at Oakland.

I wrote a note to the White House asking why the President was appearing at this celebration of the Fall of Saigon, and if they'd bothered to keep a copy of the Peace Accords with the actual date of the end of that conflict. I also suggested if the couldn't find a copy or understand its contents, perhaps they could check the Oxford Companion to Military History for a refresher on the facts.

Sorry about the above. It had been my intention just to let my mixture of reality and fantasy be a sharing of my solitary musings here in my Waynesville hootch whilst I wait for the contract clock to time out and as a bit of divertisement to the Forum, which has been my "family" while I've been away. While my efforts here do support the war in a very real way by turning the lessons learned from our losses to mines and IED's into effective training for our soldiers, I wouldn't want anyone to confuse that with the very real sacrifices made by you guys with boots on the ground. I know how that feels...

God bless all of you and bring you safely home to the welcome you deserve...

Dave

Sweet melancholy and homesickness, beautifull thoughts on a warm summers eve.

I wish you joy of your reunion.

HBDR, glad to see you checking in and it's good to know you are holding up.

Keep your head down. (Wonder if that phrase came from the Germans. Just finished a book about World War I. It seems that many Germans had worked in London restaurants and returned home at the start of the war. Knowing this every now and then a British soldier would shout out in a high class British accent "Waiter" and some poor soul in the German trench would pop his head up and be immediately potted.)

Dave, your move does create some problems. It appears I'm in trouble with The Twins again, and when they are on a rampage nations tremble. I had hoped to fall back to a line the Red River where you could cover my six, but maybe, just maybe, we can hold them at the Perdaneles.

----------------

On 6/25/2005 3:38:23 PM Mallette wrote:

Nobody seems to remember that we'd whipped Charlie to near ineffectiveness.

Nobody seems to remember that the NVA and NV itself were in deep trouble from our efforts.

Nobody seems to remember that it was not NV that forced the U.S. out of there, but complete lack of support at home.

Nobody seems to remember that, as soon as our combat troups were out, Congress passed the War Powers Act which prevented the President from acting in the event of NV military action in violation of those accords, effectively untieing their hands and leaving South Vietnam completely at their mercy...not to mention nullifying any meaning to the 55,000 of my friends and peers who gave the ultimate sacrifce in that cause whether they agreed or not.

Some of us DO remember that the last instructions we were given before boarding the "Freedom Bird" was to make sure we changed to civies at Clark so we could avoid being spat on and abused when we got off the plane at Oakland.

----------------

Excellently put. Unfortunately in the modern era we have TV and newspapers that do the enemy's propaganda work against the US for him. When Walter Cronkite said the Vietnam war was unwinnable, he convinced a lot of TV viewers. Thank God we can get the truth out a lot better now with alternative media and military blogs.

I've been meaning to let this go, as it was inappropriate in this venue and the result of one too many beers in isolation far from home and family. If I were Sheriff Amy I'd toss it and me out in a heartbeat.

However, TC, your post made me need to throw in one more comment. It was a long time ago. If I were not the son of a Baptist preacher in a family with military service going back to my great grandfather, 1rst Sergeant, Co. F, 33rd Alabama I'd have been out there with you. With a number of 113 and a warning from a friends mother on the draft board, I had the choice to either head for Canada or draw my issue. I was totally against the war by that time. It was only when I was privy to intelligence briefings and able to see for myself the whipping we were giving them that I realized that their days were numbered, and not that many. Very few people outside those of us in the Thailand/Cambodia/Laos (TLC) Brotherhood realize that by the early '70s we were engaging the enemy all across SEA. We had one base in central Laos with over 10,000 troops right in the middle of a communist country. I've talked with those who were there and seen the pictures. There wasn't a dang thing the Pathet Lao could do about it, so they pretty much ignored it and all the other bases we strung from Lao/Northern Thailand/Cambodia used to strangle Charlie and the NVA in the south. I've seen before and after photos of industrial areas in the north reduced to overlapping water-filled craters in a matter of hours during operation Linebacker II in late 1972. That was the one that finally convinced the NV government that they needed to agree to something now or lose. It was a smart choice, both because they were about to lose it all and because once they'd agreed to cease hostilities and the U.S. withdrew, they knew that Fonda et al had so turned American sentiments against the war that we could never return.

With the possible exception of Fonda, I've long since forgotten and forgiven those of my generation who just said "No." They acted on the best information they had and from their hearts. You can't hold that against a person.

However, to dishonor the sacrifices of my peers with the idea that we were "whipped" and by celebrating the 30th anniversery of the occupation of Saigon by dishonorable communists up against nothing but the remnants of ARVN (many of whom I've met and recieved honor from that brought me to tears) just chaps...

TC, may I return the honors to you as a person who acted in good faith and allegiance as you saw it.

OK, I'm done. Wish I could turn on some music but my "duty" system went back to Texas a week ago. Oh well, three more days...

Dave

I'm glad we've got people like Dave Mallette on our side fighting for us, in Humvies overseas, or in an office at a base in MO.

The "Fonda's" are still here, crying for our boys to come home. Who doesn't want them to come home? But not before the job is done. Let them come home proud and victorious.

Greg

From one vet to another let me say this simple thing. You sir are an American Hero. Tried and true. You and your brethren are the very best this country has to offer. We are so very proud of you and so very thankful for your sacrifice. May you receive a warm, peaceful, and joyous welcome home just as you envision it. Thank you so much for all you do. Please accept this advance welcome home from a job well done.

R/Jim