Some good vibes needed!

charlieboy

Usually I am always thinking of others but mabye someone can give me a good thought. Last Thursday on my way home my right ear went quiet with a VERY high pitch ringing. It did not go away after a day and nothing in my normal day was different to cause this. Well I got in to a ENT doctor today and after a ton of tests and talking my hearing has dropped off the charts at around 3500hz in my right ear. I was told it everything looks fine as my eardrum, and all other parts checked out but it was a nerve. I was told it can come back or it may never come back. I respect this doctor as I have seen him for years. Needless to say I am really bummed out as in the last 6 months or so my 2 channel system has seemed to come full circle and was the best it has EVER been. I know I should feel lucky as I am a parent of a special needs child things can be much worse! I'm hoping for the best and mabye with your good thoughts things will be back to normal again! Thanks everyone!

prayers out to you. I caught a nasty blast in my headset one day thanks to some doofus musician. Rang for weeks, Dr. wasn't sure if permanent damage or not. It did come in back in time. Do whatever Dr. says and hopefully hearing will return. It is a difficult sense to diagnose and recovery sometimes takes weeks or months. Hang in there. DON"T SELL ANYTHING.

Michael

Charlieboy, An audiogram (hearing test) conducted by an audiologist can help differentiate hearing difficiencies. Ask your ENT if a visit to a neurologist might not be in order. If it's inflammatory in nature a short course of systemic steroids may quell the problem. If it's anything more serious early intervention may prove fruitfull. Take heart and pursue a diagnosis so treatment can be instituted. Treatment may well be just wait and see. Sorry to learn of your problem and hope all works out well soon.

colterphoto1

In the field we are in I did not think I would ever lose my hearing this soon as I always concentrated on the visual side many times. Im only a part time photographer but each one makes me appreciate the other that much more.

I have been told by many people, most recently by Jim Hunter, that the brain has the ability to compensate for some hearing loss or a change in frequency response in your ears. Keep that in mind as you progress through this troubling time. I think that's a positive thought.

I myself have some trouble with my hearing, such as constant ringing (although not too loud), and sometimes with louder volumes I have a "fuzziness" in one ear. The ringing I have to live with. The fuzziness goes away though if I rest the ear for a week or two by not listening to loud volumes, or avoiding the stereo all-together.

I bet you'll find that resting your hearing for a bit will bring things back closer to normal.

Greg

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

In addition to the many good suggestions, avoid loud noises. Wear ear protection around equipment that makes noise. Foam plugs are inexpensive and inconspicuous. More sophisticated ear protection blanks out loud noises and allows human voices through.

Ear protection will help prevent new losses and may aid healing.

Bill

Has your doctor looked into the possibility of an acoustic neuroma? It's a small tumor that grows inside the ear canal, where the 3 nerves travel from the ear to the brain (one for hearing, one for balance, & one for facial control). Trust me, now is the time to catch it, before your balance goes. It can only be found by an MRI scan.