Heritage gathering in Hope

Tony Reed

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 7/21/2005 12:43:03 PM triceratops wrote:

Gee, a four-hour drive at the end of an extended plane ride might not be the best way to go....

----------------

IMO to make DFW to Hope in 4 hours is REALLY boogying!6.gif

I would allow for 5 hours and that's not planning on arriving during high traffic times. Not a bad drive though {edit: expressway all of the way}.

Hey guys:

IF anyone is flying in to DFW and wants a ride, I can accomodate. Yeah, it's a long trip, but I gotta drive it anyway and there'd be plenty to talk about - it would be a fun road trip. LMK who plans to do this and I will adjust accorsingly. I can take three others, I'd like to have some room in the back to drag gear along (speakers, probably some empty cabs) and a bit o'luggage .

Chris

Yo folks - a little late to this party. I would like to try this. I could drop by Daddy Dee's (promised a year or so ago to do so), stop in to visit Mom, visit brother and visit other brother on the way back. It really does interest me, so count me in for now.

Fini - fly to St. Louis and take a road trip with me....

----------------

On 7/21/2005 10:38:17 PM hwatkins wrote:

Yo folks - a little late to this party. I would like to try this. I could drop by Daddy Dee's (promised a year or so ago to do so), stop in to visit Mom, visit brother and visit other brother on the way back. It really does interest me, so count me in for now.

Fini - fly to St. Louis and take a road trip with me....

----------------

Sounds like fun, Henry!

Good grief, talk about your ground roots campaign! I know of no other product whose devotees approach with such fervor (well, possibly beer).

I was raised in Texarkana and my sister still lives there, so I've guaranteed housing 35 minutes away. My first visit was with PWK himself and my college roommate arranged by Fr. Risinger, PWK's parish priest at the time who was also vicar at Magnolia, AR where we attended Suffrin' State College. It was a couple of hours of pure attention from the Great One as though we were the first honored guests to every ask dumb questions. What a fine man! My friend and I hadn't enough money between us to buy a catedral sound spring reverb speaker for our car, much less a Klipsch product, but that didn't seem to bother him a bit. He knew one or the other, or both of us would carry forth the TVRTH and never look back. I returned about 10 years later for a tour with my first wife and rec'd yet another open arms welcome (even though they no longer did tours!) from the Kg2 designer (forget his name at them moment...sorry!) and the Klipsch hospitality was still there even though PWK was not that day.

Anway, to the subject at hand. My schedule is hard to predict as I am doing short-term contract work and looking for a long-term assignment or employment at the moment. However, I have WAF buy-in (she wants to visit as well!) to say we will be there unless prevented by forces beyond our control.

Also, it is 4 hours from DFW-Hope from my just north of DFW Airport location EXCEPT at rush when we must go north to US 380 to bypass the mess...and I do not speed. Been doing it for 20 years.

I recommend Txk as a place to stay for most attending. Unless something has changed, there is no alcohol in Hope. Txk is a pleasant 35 minutes from Hope via Interstate 30 and, though hardly the most exciting city in the south, has accomadations at most price points. Sheraton at I-35 and State Line Ave is recommended as probably the best in town as well as right on the road to Hope. Also, a little-known nearby tourist attraction will be of interest to some of you who either like Civil War history or just preservation in general. The town of Washington, AR is just a few minutes past the Klipsch plant site and almost like Pompeii in being preserved in time. Sam Houston and others met there to plan the Texas Revolution, there is evidence the Bowie knife was forged there, and one of the finely preserved buildings served as Arkansas' last confederate state capitol. If that isn't enough, the world's large Magnolia tree is also there! Lightly traveled, in my experience, and well worth an afternoon, especially for those who may get "dragged along" with you and want some diversion.

Make a run down to the Txk AR-TX Post Office and get a quick picture of yourself with your head in TX and your *** in AR (or vice versa) while you are at it. Everybody does...

Finally, while a trip to Hope is always nifty, it is the names I know so well from the list that are planning to attend that has my blood pumping. Can't wait to put faces to all this fertilizer we've churned out over the years.

Dave

----------------

On 7/25/2005 9:58:25 AM Mallette wrote:

Good grief, talk about your ground roots campaign! I know of no other product whose devotees approach with such fervor (well, possibly beer).

Finally, while a trip to Hope is always nifty, it is the names I know so well from the list that are planning to attend that has my blood pumping. Can't wait to put faces to all this fertilizer we've churned out over the years.

Dave

----------------

Amen to that! Btw, you had better bring some of your projects to listen to! I am definitely interested in the work you do.

Woo

Good point about listening, Woo. However, where is the equip coming from to listen? Whilst I've little doubt the gates of Klipsch will finally make a rare opening (even the Queen steps out on the balcony if enough adoring subjects demand it) I rather doubt they'll let us play in the lab.

Dave

Well,

Since I'm driving down there, and since a pair of Cornwalls will fit in my little station wagon, and since I have 4 of em....

I could bring a pair down. I'm thinking my 1976 pair with its 30 year old stock crossovers. Perhaps Bob Crites or Dean could bring a refurbished set of B's to the gathering to listen to the difference in a crossover upgrade?

wink wink, nudge nudge, etc.

I could bring my pair of 15" Tannoy Monitor Golds (if other folks were bringing Cornwalls or RF-7's or ??? Klipsch), but that would seem like a bad thing at a Klipsch gathering. 9.gif

Woo

• 2 weeks later...