How do you deql with neighbors?

jnorv

I am curious on how you deal with neighbors when you crank up the sound level. I gave up on my La Scalas and went to the dark side. JBL 2245s in 828s with 515s and 1005s above that. Needless to say, I have ample clean dBs. I am fortunate in that my wife and I occupy two houses (side by side), but she complains about the sound level. My tenants, next door and the people across the street dont complain at all. My favorite listening level is in the range of 100 dB. What do you locals have to say?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever looked at the Fletcher-Munchen curves? You have to get up to 90 to 100 db to get flat. I am not worried about my wife, she is gone 50% of the time. I am interested in how most of you deal with your neighbors when you crank it up.

It's just plain rude to crank a stereo at 100 db if you live in an urban or suburban environment with close-by neighbors.

Then again, when I do it it's always in the middle of the afternoon and for short bursts! 2.gif

Do it for 10-15 minutes and then back off and you won't seriously piss anyone off.

Otherwise your just asking for ANGRY neighbors.

My music room is in our basement, and our lots are mostly 100 feet wide. If the neighbors are hearing much of anything they must be on our property.

100dB is pretty loud if that's the average level. Not quite so bad if it's peaks. Still it's loud enough to damage your hearing if you do it for too long. I think you could safely listen at 90-95dB peaks nearly all day.

You have to listen at >= 100dB because of the Robinson-Dobson update to Fletcher-Miunson loudness equivalence contours?!?

Hmmmm!?!?!?! Perhaps you might want to re-examine their significance.

And I suspect that many other folks do not have the problem with neighbors.

And until you are in a place whereby you do not impose on others' comfort in their own residence, show a little respect for others and turn it down! Just as you might hope they would do for you if they were playing music that you hated in the same manner.

This isn't rocket science!

I dunno, when the neighbour decided to start mowing grass with a noisy old 2-stroke lawnboy at 7:30 am when most of us are sleeping, I just had to dig out Metallica, drag the mains over to the front window and run the system wide open for a few selections.

After that, he got the hint not to do that anymore. The girls downstairs ( relatives ) are usually never here, and the other neighbour spends most of his time away at his summer camp. The people across the street are good friends, if we did have it too loud, they let us know.

I unfortunately have the same neighbor as MH.

Guy runs a commercial leaf blower ALL DAY SUNDAY for about two months in the fall. I went over to ask him about his technique for fetching every single leaf and blowing them all to the far side of the yard (instead of hitting the high spots and blowing to centralized collection points), as well as what I consider the sanctity of Sundays, and he bellows to me:

I hope there isn't going to be any problems.

Just wait until the LS double stacks appear in my drive this autumn. A**hole!

I have two acres in nice area of city but can still feel the BOOMBOOMBOOM as the ghetto boy's cars drive down the main road. Hate it. Probably have to move again.

Michael

Everybodys house is stone and their windows are closed with the A/C running plus they are old and hard of hearing. So I'm pretty free to run it loud but that isnt very often.

If noise was a problem concentrating on very high quality low volume would be my goal.....maybe tube amps.

I also agree with Allan S.

I live on 20 acres in an area where my nearest neighbors are 500 yards away, and I still can hear the guys in the cars with the BOOM-BOOM thumpers. They do tend to drive buy pretty quick. I do have the pleasure of setting my LaScalas up in the Garage and sitting on the drive and hearing them in a great controled outdoor setting. Wonderful. That is worth the higher commuting cost...

I am a blessed man.

1BB

In 1969 I lived in an apartment complex of 8 apartments in one building, two story. I would crank up the horns on Saturday morning and then would hear many doors slamming and cars starting and leaving the area. I would feel real bad about it but then when the "trumpet guy" would start practicing his scales out on the second story balcany it didn't bother me anymore. There was not one complaint during my tenure, not even the garbage can full of empty beer cans rattling down the stairs. Then I would leave and crank up the L-88 Corvette and the resounding echos from the carport would fill the valley with the sounds of youthfull vigor. The apartment and carport rented for $169.00 per month in a very hoy-poloy area. The apartments are still there and so are the carports and I often wonder what the rent is.

JJK

There is another option which is to take some steps to soundproof the room. If you want to spend a bit of money, put some double paned glass in your windows. They do an incredible job of containing sound.

The last house I was in had them and you could crank the music as loud as you could stand and not be able to hear it standing outside the glass.

I have moved around a fair amount and had neighbors of just about every type. Some were friends, some we barely talked to, some of them pissed me off, and I pissed some of them off.

Overall, I learned that the best policy is to stay on good terms with the neighbors whether you socialize with them or just give them that little wave every now and then.

What ever it takes to be neigborly is probably in order here. You should consider talking to them about it and find out if you're too loud or what their threshold might be. Also, what times it may be cool to really let it loose when it won't bother them.

Being a nice neighbor will come back to you in many ways. I'm sure you already understand.13.gif

----------------

On 8/15/2005 5:11:33 AM Speedball wrote:

Everybodys house is stone and their windows are closed with the A/C running plus they are old and hard of hearing. So I'm pretty free to run it loud but that isnt very often.

----------------

I live in a detached home... and most people in a similar situation shouldn't have any problem IF your windows are closed. Sound loss through thermally insulated exterior walls is pretty high... added to the distance it travels to the neighbours home is pretty safe. I can listen to it a concert levels, at night, without a problem.

Living in an apartment, attached home, condo, etc... is an entirely different story... as it'll depend on the buildings construction. High volumes are not recommended.

Rob

I bought a house with two noisey clubs right behind me and empty lots on either side 9.gif . The condo/apartments across the street are under renovation and have no occupants 9.gif . The nighborhood is loud anyway so I would go unoticed. I just like to fill the room with music that is nice and clean. I don't know how loud it is but ear splitting damaging spl's have never been for me.