What 200 WPC power amp??

rockbobmel

My next step is a 200 WPC power amp. I will prolly get it used. Price is an issue. My system for 2 channel is: Arcam CD72 player> Rotel RSP-985> ??????P.Amp> RF-7s. I have an Arcam 100WPC mosfet amp (Nice sweet highs/mids, lows tight but thin) and a Rotel RB976 - 6x 60 or 3 x 150WPC (slower, but nice bass, highs/mids not as clear as Arcam) I am thinking a Rotel RB 1080? How about NAD? B&K? Sunfire? Thanks

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NAD only make one stereo power amp at the moment, being the C272. It features 220 watts per channel. Absolute Sound posted a positive review of this amplifier in their May 2004 issue.

Rotel offer several stereo power amps. The RC1070 features 130 watts per channel, the RC1080 - 200 watts, and the RC1090 380 watts.

I have never compared the Rotel and the NAD power amps directly together. My brother used to own the RB1090. This is one scary amplifier. Every time he turned the amplifier on, the lights dimmed. It sounded pretty good too. But the value for money pick should go with the RB1080. 200 watts per channel and nearly reference sound - it has to be a good choice.

Edit: The RC prefix I used for the Rotel power amps should read RB.

i was using a couple phase linear model 400 amps with klipsch and i thought they sounded very respectable, im sure the flame linear jab will come out but that was a product of people using the amps for commercial use and as instrument amps that they were never intended for. the amp is 200 wpc. and can be had in the 400.00 range in ebay Joe

Bob, I still have my Rotel 1080 for sale here in the forum. I will bump the thread so you can see the details. I was getting ready to list it on Audiogon or Ebay after the holidays but would rather have a forum member grab it. A veteran forum member, Sheltie Dave ("veteran" is a compliment) has heard it on my former RF-7s, and it is a great amp for those speakers. I originally listed it in here for $675 but now would be willing to part with it for $650 - just to save on the hassle of putting it up on the 'gon or ebay.

Let me know if you are interested. pmessage me or email me at multistate1@hotmail.com.

Carl.

Hafler DH-500. I had one with Klipsch KLF-20's. The lay back

presentation mated extremely well with the horns. THe bass was

awesome.They run about $250-400 on Ebay/Audiogon. They do have a

fan that I could hear during extemely low musical passages. It was not

distracting and I had to strain to be aware of it. If you listen to

rock, it won't be an issue. That fan probably makes them one of the

most durable and long lasting amps ever made. Built like a tank!

You can get an Earthquake cinenova grande 3 channel 300x3 for $1100 + shipping brand new I have the legends series speakers sounds really good it has a slightly laid back sound to it which I think is a good match for Klipsch If interested let me now and I will give you the name of the dealer Rich

OOPS I didn't realize this was for a 2 channel amp I had a Rotel 1080 200x2 sounded really good retail is $1000

Just wanted to add my five cents worth. I am currently running a Nad

S200 power amp through my Cornwalls and it sounds fantastic. If you

think 225 watts is enough of course?. You can pick them up on Audiogon

for about $750.0-$800.0 US which is a bargain IMHO.

Good luck with the search.

(One day I will have to try a tubed pre with it)

Ricky.