• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Led Zeppelin> Physical Graffiti

Montrose> Montrose

Rush> 2112

1st runner up - The Who> Quadrophenia

Honorable mention - Blue Oyster Cult > Secret Treaties & Agents of Fortune

I'm Gonna Crawl needs to be played loud and in the presence of a woman( for those that don't know)

Wouldn't Moody Blues, "Days of Future Passed" be worthy of naming? Although not necessarily my first pick (burnt out on a number of the tracks), I belive it was a fairly well reviewed release. I guess it depends on how we're defining "best"?

After thinking LONG and HARD, the closest shortlist of 3 I could come up with was a list of 6. And here they are, in no particular order...

1) Guns n' Roses - Use Your Illusion I

2) Metallica - Metallica

3) Depeche Mode - Songs of Faith and Devotion

4) Muse - Absolution

5) Radiohead - Ok Computer

6) Pearl Jam - Ten

I'm using this criteria, as stated in the opening post 'entire CD being killer', meaning all hits, no trash. Not a single 'filler' song not worthy of note. Plus the 'All-time greatest Rock' title means that the work should have or be able to stand the test of time. Thats a toughie also.

And keep it to three.

Nicholtl, I really like your first three, and Ray had some winners there, Rumours, GNR , Nevermind, all were among the best of each artist, classics of their era, and not a loser song in the bunch.

Looks like Phys Graf is getting a lot of votes.

Michael

You're old school when you still refer to a new CD release as a new "album"........and of course you are old school when you listen to those through 30 year old gear[:)]. Wouldn't have it any other way......

Any discussion of "best Rock release ever" will be something old school, because the genre really peaked in the '60's and '70's. There aren't ANY modern artists putting out the volume and quality of material that the Beatles, Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, and other bands of the day were. Sure, there are select choices that are newer, but the majority of the recommendations will be "Old School".