Linn Ittok LVII tonearm

Linn Klyde MC cartridge

Mark Levinson No. 25S phono pre

Secondary system

VPI Black Knight

VPI JMW-9 tonearm

Benz Micro Wood L2 cartridge

Jolida JD-9 phono pre w/ Level 1 mod by Parts Connexion

I listen to a wide variety of music but have been listening to Porcupine Tree quite a bit lately (progressive rock). Excellent stuff on CD but a whole different level on vinyl.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty basic. A Dual 1229Q table on ViaBlue spickes, stock

arm, Grado Blue cart, audioquest sobogel record mat. Into a

Counter Point SA3.1 phono stage with a matched pair of Electro Harmonix

6922 tubes.

As we speak I am listening to some Paul Simon "Gracelnad". I

enjoy a lot of different stuff. From Coheed And Cambria to Jimmy

Buffett to Edgar Meyer. Most recent purchases have included:

Eagles Live, Kim Carnes, Dire Straights, Jack Johnson, and Fall Out Boy.

See below, with a first version AR in the wings as a backup/change of pace...

Latest purchases are the two most recent Daniel Lanois ("Shine" and "Belladonna"), Death Cab for Cutie "Transatlanticism", John Mayer Trio "TRY!", and Sleater Kinney "The Woods".

Hey wards. a better question is, what fourms arent you on[;)] congrats on the new TT. The rega you have has piqued my curiosity. Unfortunately with the recent purchase of a BlueBerry preamp and new crossover networks for the Scalas and an order in for a set of Craigs VRD's I am going to wait awhile before I buy anything else.

I'm always a little embarrased to discuss my set-up compared to some of the others on this Board (especially Max!!). But, I run a Scout TT with a Benz ACE cart through a Mac C-26 preamp, Mac 2102 amp, and RF-7s. I listen to mostly jazz and some classic rock and classical. Lately, I'm really into Joe Sample's solo albums (without the other Crusaders). I don't possess the technical expertese to engage in the contining analog vs. digital debate - all I know is I enjoy the sound of vinyl immensly and I derive great comfort from the ritual of putting on an album and watching it spin as great music fills the room.

Don't be - it is not about that!

Many of the tables in the this thread are probably a match for my table - possible even better - who knows. Larry, Gary and Jazman all have what look to be excellent setups as do others here. They just dont look as....er.....dramatic?

I chose the Clearaudio because:

1. I like the looks (others dont - that's ok - I know Allan hates it).

2. I have been fascinated by linear arms for years and this was an opportunity to get one.

3. I like the dealer - he is local, helpful and most importantly a friend.

4. When I first re-visited vinyl (as in listened to it in comparison to digital) on a "serious" system it was a Clearaudio - I had never heard anything sound that good - it was then I decided to get one - really 4 years before I did (as a fortieth birthday present).

5. I am insane.

I was on again-off again for years and then lost interest and sold my 'table. After a few years I finally realized how much I missed spinnin' vinyl, but after being laid off and filing bankruptcy, I could no longer afford even a decent used rig.

When my folks moved up to CT and left me their house, I aquired my dad's near-mint '79 Technics SL-1700MK2. It's nothing compared to all the VPI, clearaudio, Rega, Pro-Ject, and Thorens 'tables on this thread, but since I replaced my dad's worn out Signet with my old Stanton 981HZS pro calibrated MM and my last replacement Stereohedron stylus (and new Sumiko silk-covered OFC headshell leads), I am very impressed with its performance and overall sound! I'm still on a tight budget, but I also have an old worn Sumiko Blue Point MC cartridge from the old days that I might replace thru NeedleDoctor.com's cartridge exchange program for a new Blue Point Special...my needle-dropping days are looking better and better![;)]

I spin mostly classical, especially pipe organ LPs, a few jazz and blues albums, and alot of classic rock LPs from the '60s thru the early '80s. Just bought a remastered 180 gram pressing of the 1970 MCA classic: Dave Mason - Alone Together...wow, it's sounds better than digital!

post-11084-1381928100032_thumb.jpg

Yes Gary,

I shall be passing by again a bit more often.....I think.

One of the nice things about vinyl is the chance to pick up excellent

gear from the second-hand market (provided the seller knows how to ship

a TT). I guess that's one reason why I decided on the Thorens -

reliability. Touch wood, but until know both TTs run smoothly without

problems. The same goes for SME arms. There are other (and probably

better) arms out there, but I just love the feel of those SMEs and the

fact that adjustability of the different arm parameter is really pretty

straight forward.

BTW: overe here a relatively new phonostage has causing quite a riple

among vinyl lovers - enter the Aqvox Phono 2 CL. It can be used for MM

and MC, costs now something like 700 Euros and really plays quite above

that league. I have tried it for a short while and if you are looking

for an 'emotional' phonostage give it a try. Being run symetrically it

is supposedly even better - and as most/all(?) cartridges are

symetrical, all you need is XLR plugs at the end of your TT

interconnects to be set - if I understood the dealer correctly[:)].

Wolfram

Run of the mill HW-19jr., Grado Sonata 4.5mv, JS Electrostatic Air Bearing tonearm. I bought the player and arm for 400$; I run the air pumps in the closet in a box. It needs a lot of care to setup but once it is it's a lot of fun.

I use my rig a lot for archiving old & rare records. I have the homemade record cleaner in the closet (modified 1hp shopvac & broken Kenwood TT) and the system connects to the HTPC.

I keep realizing, the analog v.s digital archive argument is null since I can't play an out of print record on my cd player.

Listening to all the classical I picked up at 2nd hands around here as well as reggae, jazz, blues, rock n roll.

keep spinning

Dr. C

should be some close up picks of the arm in here:

http://www.catuccio.net/web/index.html

http://www.catuccio.net/IMG_0123small.bmp

Hey Wardsweb, I have your new TT's little brother, a basic Champion. In fact I was on the phone yesterday with Musical Surroundings (Clearaudio's importer) about upgrading to Level II. At $2,400, I'm not sure about the sonic payoff. Not to mention, my wife actually likes the look as it is. My little TT sounds pretty darn good. I think the total RB250 re-work, coupled with the Six Stream wiring come together pretty well.

Good Luck and let us hear how you like your new toy,

Chris