Back To The K77s

garymd

seti said:

"I won't quit drooling over the Jubilee till I have my own."

That's probably a good way to get a pair. A pair of Jubilees damaged by slobber might be otherwise unsaleable...

Tom, it sounds like a K-77, but clearer and more open. It's crisper, with more "snap" in the transients. Where the thing really excels over the K-77 is in the cymbals -- it gives you the trailing edge and decay. IOW's, you hear all the cymbal not just part of it.

"

Precisely! Bells too! I think perhaps my best way of explaining it is the sound finishes which on cymbal was a major complaint I had with the K77's. I heard a cymbal strike but it seemed to cut off sharply and seemed a little unnatural. It drove me nuts at times. This tweeter finishes smoothly and cleanly. When comapred directly it is very obvious.

Bob's tweeters changed the entire sonic signature of my system and I didn't prefer the sound. It wasn't just a brightness issue.

I'm listening to Dial "S" For Sonny right now with my K77s and the sound is nice and detailed, plenty bright and the cymbols just sound "right" to my ears. To me, Bob's sounded flatter and more like a cone speaker. It' hard to explain but I'm happy for those who like them. I don't think Bob will lose any business or sleep because one person prefers the K77s! Some people like the sound of Mac gear and I prefer VRDs and Blueberrys! I don't care about measurements. To me, Hertz is a car rental agency. I'm just here for the tunes.[:D]

So now we have a number... the Khorn is a 90% seriously good speaker and if you change out the crossovers, mid horn and tweeter you now have a 100% seriously good speaker.

I can live with that but I would prefer "serious" be replaced with "excellent".

Man I have to give you credit Dean I figured after my last post I would have you unglued [;)]

Does it feel like old times?

Craig

• Moderators

Gary,

My God, I go away for a couple of days to enjoy Van Morrison in concert and looked what you caused. I dare you to post a Tube vs. SS post or better yet, post a review how you just bought some $2000 speaker cables and now the BC Tweeters sound better then the K77 and you have changed your mind again[:P][:D]

Travis

Bob's tweeters changed the entire sonic signature of my system and I didn't prefer the sound. It wasn't just a brightness issue.

I'm listening to Dial "S" For Sonny right now with my K77s and the sound is nice and detailed, plenty bright and the cymbols just sound "right" to my ears. To me, Bob's sounded flatter and more like a cone speaker. It' hard to explain but I'm happy for those who like them. I don't think Bob will lose any business or sleep because one person prefers the K77s! Some people like the sound of Mac gear and I prefer VRDs and Blueberrys! I don't care about measurements. To me, Hertz is a car rental agency. I'm just here for the tunes.[:D]

That's because you listen to MUSIC instead of SPEAKERS.

And really GOOD music too . . .

Those folks who got the to hear the Jubilees couldn't quit drooling over the sound. For crying out loud the thing is basically a modified Klipschorn!

IMO, nothing could be farther from the truth.

Tony

Read the JAES paper by R. Delgado and PK, and then come back and tell me what the design goals of the Jubilee were and why.

I know what the designs goals were... I spoke to PWK & Roy about the Jubilee several times. I'm talking about the end product. I just see and hear something very different from the Klipschorn in the Jubilee.

Tony

"Not so with the Eminence driver. In my opinion, the Eminence driver Bob is using retains the Klipsch "sound," and it is at least in the ballpark, sound signature-wise to the K-77".

"This makes me wonder if I have hearing problems because to me, these tweeters sound nothing like the K77s and significantly changed the sound of my Khorns"

With all due respect, Gary, I do not hear a significant change in the overall sound between the K-77 and the Eminence, other than the Eminence being cleaner and more musical. They are in the same ballpark.

For example, I am now running my 1977 K-77s (round Alnico) with my Altecs in the rear of my main music setup (running my Altec Valencias as three ways). Been listening to Supertramp on vinyl this morning, and the Eminence tweeters in front (with the Belles) and the K-77s in the rear (with the Altecs) make a nice blend in the room - front and rear - and even when I spin my chair to listen to the Altecs in front. I have had similar experiences with jazz and classical. Sure, there are differences, but even when running the tweeters front and rear, not one pair or the other is shouting out its differences - at least to my ears.

Then again Bob has said that no two pairs of K77s sound uniform or even sometimes the same. Maybe its my K77s.

Carl.

"I just see and hear something very different from the Klipschorn in the Jubilee."

Exactly -- and you like what you hear right? I get the impression from you and others that the sound is "better". That's all I was really trying to say -- that you can make changes that are real improvements -- and that it's 'O.K.' for it not to sound like a 'Heritage' speaker anymore.

Gary -- Craig and me were talking last night and Craig mentioned the VTA on the turntable -- wondering if maybe it might be responsible for what you're hearing?

Allan, that was a low blow. I don't call what you listen to 'music' either. At any rate, the speakers are "there", and the more transparent they are the less aware of the speakers you are.

So now we have a number... the Khorn is a 90% seriously good speaker and if you change out the crossovers, mid horn and tweeter you now have a 100% seriously good speaker.

I can live with that but I would prefer "serious" be replaced with "excellent".

Man I have to give you credit Dean I figured after my last post I would have you unglued [;)]

Does it feel like old times?

Craig

That's alot of money, comparatively, for that last 10%.

"I just see and hear something very different from the Klipschorn in the Jubilee."

Exactly -- and you like what you hear right? I get the impression from you and others that the sound is "better". That's all I was really trying to say -- that you can make changes that are real improvements -- and that it's 'O.K.' for it not to sound like a 'Heritage' speaker anymore.

Gary -- Craig and me were talking last night and Craig mentioned the VTA on the turntable -- wondering if maybe it might be responsible for what you're hearing?

Allan, that was a low blow. I don't call what you listen to 'music' either. At any rate, the speakers are "there",and the more transparent they are the less aware of the speakers you are.

VTA on the turntable? Dean and Craig giving advice on how to set up a table/arm/cartridge they've never even seen--now THAT's rich!! Turntables spin records, by the way. VTA is a function of TONEARM adjustment!

SInce when did you guys become vinyl gurus too?

LOL!

With all due respect, Gary, I do not hear a significant change in the overall sound between the K-77 and the Eminence, other than the Eminence being cleaner and more musical. They are in the same ballpark...Sure, there are differences, but even when running the tweeters front and rear, not one pair or the other is shouting out its differences - at least to my ears.

Then again Bob has said that no two pairs of K77s sound uniform or even sometimes the same. Maybe its my K77s.

This is very interesting. Could it be a production variation in this run of Bob's tweeters? EDIT: Gary's experience is surprisingly different from the others.

seti said: "I won't quit drooling over the Jubilee till I have my own." That's probably a good way to get a pair. A pair of Jubilees damaged by slobber might be otherwise unsaleable...

Not so much damaged as seasoned I find that drool helps cure the cabinets and gives it it's own sonic signature.