American Idol - Are you watching? Fess up

meagain

Yes - many were stupid and some would say unwatchable, but for me - the bad ones are the fun part. The talent has been upping and I think this year is the best group. One cannot take this show too seriously. It's the type of thing you laugh at over some drinks when winding down, but at some point, you can't help but root for the one you think is good. I vowed to never watch it again after last year didn't go as I wanted, but got sucked in with the auditions of goofy people. Darned funny.

One thing about it - the sound quality for HT is pretty good.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For the life of me, I don't understand why you all bother watching this garbage on TV. Are you all that bored that you can't find anything more constructive to do with your time than to be glued to the tube rooting for the next contestant to make a fool of themselves on national television? Is that the attraction to reality TV because I fail to grasp the significence of it.

Enlighten me, folks...[:^)]

Yeah, you're right. It's much better to find hundreds of pictures on the internet, and post them, one by one, on the "prettiest girl on the planet" thread.

Oh, and of the people making fools of themselves, at least one of them is going to have a multi-platinum record, probably several, and be richer that you or I could ever dream. I'd say it's worth it to make a fool of yourself for that.

Oh yeah, have you checked out the ratings? It seems American Idol is the most popular show on TV. But I guess hundreds of millions of people are wrong.

You're right. The show sucks. America is stupid and should not be making decisions on who's the best singer. They want a Cartoon character to win instead of the best talent. The show needs to do a Rockstar INXS format. Allow the public to choose the bottom 2, then let someone with a fricking brain determine who should leave.

For the life of me, I don't understand why you all bother watching this garbage on TV. Are you all that bored that you can't find anything more constructive to do with your time than to be glued to the tube rooting for the next contestant to make a fool of themselves on national television? Is that the attraction to reality TV because I fail to grasp the significence of it.

Enlighten me, folks...[:^)]

Yeah, you're right. It's much better to find hundreds of pictures on the internet, and post them, one by one, on the "prettiest girl on the planet" thread.

Oh, and of the people making fools of themselves, at least one of them is going to have a multi-platinum record, probably several, and be richer that you or I could ever dream. I'd say it's worth it to make a fool of yourself for that.

Oh yeah, have you checked out the ratings? It seems American Idol is the most popular show on TV. But I guess hundreds of millions of people are wrong.

[:o] LOL.... OUCH! I don't think he can argue that one...[;)]

I haven't really been paying much attention to the show myself, however when I have tuned in, I noticed that Chris was an outstanding talent! Tonight I, along with millions of others was shocked to see him get voted off... just because of that, I think the show is rigged [6]

OK lets put things in perspective here. The Gong Show had an audience; Star Search had a loyal audience. Heck Donnie and Marie had a loyal audience. So what is so amazing about AI having a loyal audience? My wife loves it. So consequently my system is cranking it out in HD every Tuesday and Wednesday. I have seen far worse TV, anyone remember Cop Rock? Does it turn my stomach.. yeah I find it a bit nasally and irritating mostly but IMO there are worse things on TV than this.

Joe, the show is rigged to a certain extent. The judges try to do everything in their power to sway the votes. They've been trying to get rid of Katherine for a few weeks now. Simon says she's terrible, then comes back and apologizes after the votes have already been cast. Then they have Elvis week, as if that isn't geared toward the guys, and pretty much tell her to pack her bags.

Even worse, they praise Elliott like he's a god among singers when, lets face it, he's not that great. He's good, but not great. It would be interesting to see him win, though, because he wouldn't sell any records, not by American Idol standards. That could be the downfall of the show. Then when the judges are out of a job, they'll be sorry that they gushed over such a weak contestant. And then all the people on this forum will be sad because they have a show to complain that they hate, because they are too cool to watch.[H]

Of course, that probably won't happen, and maybe the "cartoon character" will win. Which I assume he's talking about Taylor?? I'm not sure I would call him a cartoon character, because he is a good singer, and he genuinely loves what he is doing. He is a Musician through and through. He does do some weird moves, but he's not doing it for laughs any more that Joe Cocker does what he does for laughs.

I gotta say, though, that I wasn't surprised to see Chris leave tonight. Why? Because dialidol.com predicted it, and they are fairly accurate. I still think he was the best singer/performer in the group, though.

After watching theTuesday show again--Chris's second song was the weakest song of the night--maybe that killed it for him. Its shocking that he is out, but then, every year one of the favorites that you think will make the final is voted out too early.

The judges are there to put a face on the competition--if it was just Ryan Seacrest, it would just be Star Search 2--The Singers. Their personalities add alot to the festivities--I don't think they were chosen for their "judging" qualities--they are there and continue to be because of their dramatically different personalities, and their presence appeals to most of the demographic market of the show--

There sure are alot of post-ers who trash the show -- different strokes. I love it- it strikes me that I retch over Rod Stewart, Kenny Rogers, Elvis, Barry Manilow, and the blind Italian singer--but when its all being performed by talented unknown young kids from little home towns with all that pressure to do well -- its magic.

One thing I haven't understood this year is all the vibrato in Chris', Eliott's, and other voices--take that out and maybe you have something incredible. Eliott's my favorite, anyway--

[:o] LOL.... OUCH! I don't think he can argue that one...[;)]

Really?

Who cares which thread I choose to post alot in. I'm not the only one there that does. And there are plenty of forum members who respond to other threads...this isn't even the issue. Nonetheless, if I'm online and on the Klipsch Forums, I'd rather do that than watch network TV.

And I'm happy if a single contestant does win a big recording contract on this "rigged" reality show. But I'm a firm believer in doing it the time-honored way of hard work that pays off in the end. It's the way singers and bands used to do it before reality television made it simple for them (and entertaining to its viewers). I'm a personal friend to a young lady who would eventually like to get into the music industry...she may or may not ever reach her dreams as a singer/songwriter now that her managerial career is blossoming, but she also has no intentions of ever entering a reality show and being boo'd off the stage by so-called judges who have no business rating any musician's work.

Ratings mean nothing to me since I watch no television. The fact that American Idol and all other reality shows are the most popular shows on TV today only tells me that the dumbing of America is surely at hand...why not have the network execs get rich off the majority of the viewing public if the typical viewer is dead from the neck up.

You can have your shows and the boob tube. I'll stick to posting pics of women on the Prettiest Girl thread, listening to great music on my system, reading a good book, hanging out with family and good friends, and be happy in the fact that I have enough common sense not to waste my valuable time glued to the TV.

Rock Star INXS was cool. All of the rest of this reality TV is junk. I can't wait until this reality "fad" is over. I don't care that 40 guys can build a house in a week. I don't care about watching a bunch of tattooed rejects playing infantile games on some island. Nor do I care which of 20 women "really" fell in love with the bachelor. This is all mindless - although American Idol might be allright - I don't know because I don't watch it. But at least it revolves around talent.

The big problem with Idol is they waste their time airing too many rejects to try to be humorous. Rockstar INXS did not do that - that's why it was so cool.

I've watched 1 show, it was while I was in South Africa this past July. Their version of the show even had a cabon-copy of the guy called Simon. The show sucked big time, and I assume it's pretty much the same thing here.

LOL...Ouch! I don't think y'all can argue with those statements![;)]

Surely everyone here is intelligent and have a love for Klipsch and for their systems...instead of watching mindless reality television programs on your HT, maybe you should all watch a PBS program, or if you're connected to digital cable or satellite a program on the Discovery and/or History channels, even a ball game or races on ESPN or SpeedVision, or even your favorite films or concerts on DVD. There is so much more to do than to stare aimlessly at your TV watching a reality show. Want reality? Watch CNN or MSNBC news for what's really going on in our world.

But since this is a free democracy, and nobody can tell you what you can or cannot do...if watching these reality shows impress you that much that you'd rather contribute to the dumbing of America by watching them...Well then, knock yourselves out! I know I won't be wasting my precious spare time rooting for some self-appointed know-it-all to tear apart someone elses dream because they and like-minded viewers think it's fun and it boosts ratings for loaded network execs!

Food for thought...think about that, and enjoy the show.[:S]

The first time I saw Idol was the show that Keith sang Madonna. My wife and I have been hooked ever since. Weve had a lot of great laughs, listened to many great performances and yeah, we often debate the merits of the judges criticism. I guess Im not surprised that some macho types express disdain for the show. Then theres the crowd that isnt fond of competition. I watch a limited amount of TV. Fox News, The Sopranos, Deadwood, The Discovery and History Channels and sometimes the poker shows. Idol is worth our time and we like seeing the kids mature each week. We enjoy talking about the significant impact that the different music genres have on the quality of the performances. Watching American Idol seems like a harmless way to spend a couple hours during the winter/spring. I have no problem believing that Randy and Simon know what their talking about. Paula has her purpose and well, Ryan gets slightly better each year. Chris may have gotten or at least, started to come across as too cocky. Thats a shame because hes a good singer and will be a solid performer. With two guys and one young lady left, it should be an interesting couple of shows.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

BTW, I think Jennifer Hudson and La Toya London, (season three) were as good as most of the seasons winners. They were certainly better than the winner that year. I've heard, from several people that have heard Bo sing recently, that Carrie Underwood was the right choice.

jt1 - Maybe you can, but I cannot constantly watch higher octave intellectual type shows continuously year after year. I get my share of msnbc/cnn all day and sometimes it's nice just to zone out. Take movies for instance.... we'd get all these foofoo great movies (mostly subtitled).... and at some point it was exhausting. Told hubby, let's just get a simple comedy. He brought home Dumb & Dumber. We had FUN!

Sometimes it's nice rest the brain and have sheer goofy, mindless entertainment. Chill out & have a good old fashioned laugh or simply come up with creative ways to poke fun at the TV. There's a value in that. I don't look down my nose at it because I do recognize the value. I could say baseball is mindless entertainment, yet appreciate the relaxation/fun factor some folks see in it. Too slow for me.

I get alot of amuzement from it and it gives me a nice balance. I get major enjoyment out of watching the bio of Churchill on the history channel - but sometimes one just has to chill. I like Reality TV and am not ashamed to admit it. Take for instance Unanimous. Toss a bunch of people into an underground bunker, tell them they can't get out till they unanimously vote to give one person 1.5 million dollars? I'm there! :)

Boomac - so who would you guys like to see win out of the final 3? I'm in the Elliott camp right now.

This show has a good purpose, find some talent. This has been a good avenue for many to just get noticed. There is some very good talent since the show started.

Chris should have went to the final 2, he is better that Elliott and Taylor. I guess I enjoy more of the rock voice he has. Without this show, we may have never gotten to hear him sing. I know someday, I will be able to buy a cd with him singing.

For me, I have MCFEEVER. I remember her in the tryout's. I told my wife right there and then, there is your winner. Been digging her performance every week since, awesome voice. Perfect, no, but still very good every week, with some stunning songs. She will have a cd out someday as well.

Jeff