Klipschorns don't sound any better then Cornwalls

link

I love my Khorns and am glad that I could finally obtain a pair, but they sit in a seldom used room, the only place of substantial size with two equal corners.

My Cornwalls reside in the room I use and listen in nearly every day.

I'll say it again. I think Cornwalls are the best value used Heritage Klipsch out there. They have smooth deep response and will fit about anywhere. Sure LS are better in the vocal range, and Khorns dig deeper. But for the money, CW is a hands down winner in my book.

Michael

Well, a couple of thoughts. . . first, it could just be a subjective, and rare preference you describe. That's not a problem with me. Horn loaded bass does sound different than directly radiated bass. The horn loaded bass is less distorted. That's not a bad thing to prefer the Cornwall bass. Look how many people like Jimi Hendrix on guitar!

The other thing that could account for what you are hearing is that the Khorns won't work in every room.

"The other thing that could account for what you are hearing is that the Khorns won't work in every room."

That's exactly what I was thinking - maybe the Cornwalls just work better in that room these were heard in vs. the Klipschorn. That's quite OK - and sometimes it's just the preference for the overall tonal balance of a particular speaker. I know members here who prefer Fortes over other larger models, too - again, just a preference of the overall balance of that particular speaker to that particular member's ears.

It's all to do with the concept of 'horses for courses'. I have no doubt that Cornwalls can sound fantastic in certain rooms - maybe they would perform better than Klipschorns in particular rooms. But it's all to do with realising the potential of a particular speaker with appropriate amplifiers, a suitable source and of course proper room setup. No disrespect to other speakers in the Klipsch range, but none can approach the Klipschorn's potential for full range sound reproduction. Assuming all of the essential parameters are met, have no doubt about the Klipschorn's capabilities.

Yeah, but those are HORNS! I would probably agree with you.

He's talking about a direct-radiator compared to a bass horn!

The physics don't back up his position.

So I took it that he was just trying to pick a fight, looking for trouble, fishing for a bite, etc.

You know, TROLLING!

DM

Yeah, but those are HORNS! I would probably agree with you.

He's talking about a direct-radiator compared to a bass horn!

The physics don't back up his position.

So I took it that he was just trying to pick a fight, looking for trouble, fishing for a bite, etc.

You know, TROLLING!

DM

I'm just playing around Big D, I know exactly what you mean. However; this is a very subjective hobby. Hell, I had a guy who said his Bose 701s sounds better than my Khorns. [:o]Talk about looking for trouble.

Whatever floats your boat!!

This hobby in the end comes down to what each individual likes.

You can get ideas and suggestions from others and some may work for you and some may not.

Klipschorns and La Scalas are harder to get the best sound out of them than Cornwalls. They need a bigger room and may be harder to match equipment to get the best sound. But once you find the right synergy KHorns and LS can sound outstanding!

You would probably still like the Cornwalls better but you may have a better appreciation of the KHorn and LS.

"Must be me but I see no difference in sound quality."

Helps if you use your ears.

That is the thing about having good test equipment. You can give the tired unreliable ears a rest and "see" what it really sounds like.

Bob