Why do audiophiles claim to hear the inaudible?

Klipschguy

You know after years of reading audiophile opinions (and writing some myself), I am struck by the utter pride that some have for "what they can hear." For instance, I read where some dude suspended his speaker wires on pieces of wood and claimed something about how the imaging and soundstage was improved. No matter how small the modification is (i.e. changing brands of furniture polish), the audiophile always has to be sure he claims he can hear a difference (positive or negative). Having been guilty at times of "I can hear it pride" myself, I am not casting stones. Just making a curious observation of audiophile behavior.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of that stuff is idiotic, and has turned the word audiophile into a dirty word.

After my last conversation with Dean I realized I wasn't an Audiophile. [;)] I still am considering a crossover upgrade because I wish to work my way up into the category. Heck--I don't even post in the 2 channel forum because I listen to way too many channels to be an audiophile.[:o]

The system tweaks and changes where I knew 100% it changed the sound for better or worse was a change in xovers, Amps, CDP, Preamp, and Room Treatments. The changes that I thought I could tell a difference but was unsure were tube changes, cable changes, and isolation. Hell sometimes I turn on the system and it just doesn't sound proper is this due to weather, air pressure, or my mental well being?

I get a kick after reading some stereo mag reviews and I just have to ask myself what the hell is he talking about... I hate reading them....except of course for the La Scala review and upcoming Khorn review : )

I could only hear to 40 hz I thought for about 60 years. Then I bought a subwoofer and a test disc and found that I could hear to 19 HZ. And then when the test hit 12.5 khz I was stone deaf. However, I can tell the difference that weather (pressure, humidity?) has on the system, something that no-one seems to have discussed on this forum. Sound is affected by humidity and pressure. Just ask an old sonar tech in the Navy, that is if your speakers are under water.

JJK

Is it not a combination of:

1) Posturing -- reminiscent of those who write pretentious movie or book reviews to demonstrate how discerning and perceptive they are (see the hilarious amateur reviews on IMDb).

2) Illusory or unreliable (hard to reproduce reliably) perception ... I'm convinced that our hearing mechanism has its moods, and my equipment sure seems to, as well.

3) Real perception which varies with attentional factors, as well as all the variations of speaker location, room acoustics, etc.

I still like well set up blind testing / reviewing / , etc., and yes, there are blind experimental designs that allow for relaxed, casual, incidental, long term listening, without one's cortex being thoroughly in the judgmental mode.

What do you mean? Can't you hear the huge difference?!?

<5 minutes later>

Crap, I just realized we were listening to things backwards...

I love it when that happens - especially when the demonstrater talks about how bad the first device sounded when it was actually the device they were trying to "sell".

There are times however when I'll demonstrate the difference between two things and the people I'm demonstrating to won't hear it (especially my parents)...Naturally they want to challenge whether or not I can, which I find to be a great learning experience. Sometimes you can and sometimes you can't [:o] Psychoacoustics is a very powerful thing when you know how to use it...

Leo Berenek (sp) is a big name in physics and acoustics. He wrote, "Nothing sounds better than the speaker you just built." My personal experience has been sometimes to the contrary. It does show that people want to find success in their efforts.

Probably, most tweeks don't do much harm or good. But people report improvements which can't be explained by engineering. Even when engineering suggests an appreciable alteration, it is usually reported as favorable.

I read one article long ago about construction of home brew amplifier. The haughty constructors demanded the use of silver solder. "Cause you can definitely hear solder." That really annoyed me.

Then Klipsch published some spec sheets on their speakers saying, "Silver solder is used on all critical high frequency connections." No claim that this makes anything better. The comment just hangs in the air.

Gil

Part of it is the emperor's clothes syndrome.

Also, when you have spent an embarrassing amount of money on something that's absolutely worthless to your system, you'd better hear something, or you look like an idiot. Wait, but that would be an audiophile.