3 minutes to Miller Time

jacksonbart

The tuna was off the charts- Marinated for 1 hour in Girrard's Blue cheese vinagarette dressing- cracked pepper- small pinch of sea salt- pinch of garlic powder- seared for 2 minutes on each side at med/high heat in a chef's pan- soy and wassabe on the side- OMG- Better than grilled IMHO

Sippin on some bourbon while I rig some fishing rods to see if any fish may be chewing tomorrow morning. Had some fresh shrimp tonight....saw my man driving from the marina to the shrimp stand this morning so I had to get some. Hope everyone enjoys their 4th of July celebrations.

Carl

Not "fresh", but good quality #6/10's shrimpses at Publix if you have one near you. I know the meat manager pretty well and he said that supplies of the frozen shrimp are holding up pretty well for the time being.

So much for OT..... Get a bottle of Sake.... Yup, rice wine. pour half in a bowl and marinate the shrimp for about 2-3 hours.

Put the other half of the bottle in a hot pan pot of water on low on the stove. Change into comfy clothes... Drink the sake in ceramic shot glasses.... with a shrimp or three between shots.... Hai!!!

Warning: There is nothing so demented and pain crazy as a man in the depths of a sake hangover.... Now I know why they commit harikari....

Care to share your shrimp source Carl?

Chuck

I actually don't know the man's name, but he has a stand that he sets up on weekends across the highway from Poplar Grove Plantation. He shuttles back and forth between his place on Scotts Hill Loop Road and the stand with coolers in his truck to supply the shrimp. The ones we got this weekend were a bit on the small side (30/40 count), but sometimes they are good sized.

I actually don't know the man's name, but he has a stand that he sets up on weekends across the highway from Poplar Grove Plantation. He shuttles back and forth between his place on Scotts Hill Loop Road and the stand with coolers in his truck to supply the shrimp. The ones we got this weekend were a bit on the small side (30/40 count), but sometimes they are good sized

Thanks Carl....I know the place and have seen him on the road side. As a matter of fact I bought some produce today at the "stand" near where he parks. Pretty tomatoes, cukes, silver queen corn, and new potatoes....yum.

I got home Sunday from a week in Mount Shasta, CA. We inherited a place up there, and I was doing a bit of work. Since we have folks in this thread with fish smarts, I'll take the opportunity to ask a few questions. I've never been a fisherman, but am inspired by a book I recently read, Shasta's Headwaters: An Angler's Guide to the Upper Sacramento and McCloud Rivers, by Craig Ballenger. I read it mostly for the history of the area, but the author made it sound so fun I think I'd like to try fly fishing.I found a couple rods in the shed, an Old Hi's Hitest and a Fenwick PLC-60, both in very nice condition. A few weeks back I bought a reel in a local thrift shop, a Martin 77WS. It was all of 14 bucks. Anyone know if this would be the makings fo a decent beginner's set-up? The fishing in the Mt. Shasta area is supposed to be world-class.

Keep it simple and get back to your hunter-gatherer roots!!! Grab a quart of el-cheapo white wine (muscatel....) and a stick with a "killin" knife duct taped to the end. Stab the sucker, skin & gut it and add some wine to the pan over the camp fire you made with magnesium stick shavings.... Don't forget your waders though..... [H]

Here's the picture I've sent to my stylist for my makeover (something I do with every new hobby). Only change is, instead of flies stuck to my hat, I'll have a hat stuck to my fly...

1.jpg

A quick hello from days that seem like long ago. I have been busy beyond belief (alliteration anyone?) for the past few months. I did not get laid off from the new job last Thursday...that is hurdle 1 of 3. I survived the Frontier buyout of Verizon...now I have what is left of my 6 month probation period to prove myself a viable phone tech, then I have to get through our contact renewal in 2 years...but things are good now.

My basement flooded again...just ripped 1/2 of the 3 month old carpet...it was my fault and we will leave it at that...I do not have to excavate the west side of the basement (that was going to be the "I will eat $20K and run from this place" option...I just have to suck up some brand new carpet but I can deal with that. Going through a refi right now...I think it will go well. The appraiser was the same that did the house when I bought it out of foreclosure and his words were, "Holy Crap! This house is way nicer than the last time I saw it!" I will take that as getting favorable numbers.

Back to the point of the thread...my wife and son are on vacation this week in Michigan...I miss them, but I treated myself to a bottle of Death's Door Gin. I am sitting in the 1/2 of the basement that is still finished, having a cool drink, and the (meatloaf) Cornwalls are screaming American Beauty by the Dead at a very high DB level (my little tribute to GARYMD...and one of my favs as well) Cheers, hope all is well with my bar buddies...things will settle at some point and I will be in a bit more. Have a round on me. ACE

So much for OT..... Get a bottle of Sake.... Yup, rice wine. pour half in a bowl and marinate the shrimp for about 2-3 hours

Sounds good Groomy. No Publix here but still a lot of fresh shrimp.....for now.

Welcome back Ace!

How is the back fini?

Cheers getlemen!

I got home Sunday from a week in Mount Shasta, CA. We inherited a place up there, and I was doing a bit of work. Since we have folks in this thread with fish smarts, I'll take the opportunity to ask a few questions. I've never been a fisherman, but am inspired by a book I recently read, Shasta's Headwaters: An Angler's Guide to the Upper Sacramento and McCloud Rivers, by Craig Ballenger. I read it mostly for the history of the area, but the author made it sound so fun I think I'd like to try fly fishing.I found a couple rods in the shed, an Old Hi's Hitest and a Fenwick PLC-60, both in very nice condition. A few weeks back I bought a reel in a local thrift shop, a Martin 77WS. It was all of 14 bucks. Anyone know if this would be the makings fo a decent beginner's set-up? The fishing in the Mt. Shasta area is supposed to be world-class.

Fini,

I make no claims on having much fly fishing experience but I would think you have the makings of a good setup to give it a go. If there are some tackle shops in the area, it may be worth picking the brains of those folks for the type of equipment that is most commonly used and the fly types used duirng the year/season. You could also go with a fishing guide one time to get your bearings and then go from there.

Winding down the week sippin' on a bourbon. Have one on me fellas.

Carl

Mrs. JB advises that around 10:30pm JB was mumbling something about rounding out the roster for the Miami Heat. A little unsteady on his feet he somehow made it to the attic and found his high school basketball uniform and a pair of Keds. Bart was last seen in full uniform with a basketball under one arm, an umbrella in the other, catching a city bus........

It didn't work out quite as planned. We went over to a neighbors house to swim and eat dinner, then set up a outdoor screen, projector and speakers to watch Shutter Island. Worked well. Had two beers, a John Daly (its a drink) and enjoyed a CAO. Had to be reasonable since I had to shlep every thing home. Sorry to disapoint, hey there is always tonight. Its raining here, think I am gonna head down to Payless and pick up a pair of Keds. I am 5'11, 6'5 with my afro. Cheers,

Drinking some sweetened decaf blackened tea getting ready to go to bed soon to go back to work after a week and a day off visiting my father in law.

J.B. Maybe you could come to Indianapolis? The Pacers can really use some help.

To a great week everyone!