I've been scammed...Agon BBX w/Cream!...

jorjen

I responded to the same add at about the same time you did, I made an offer, he E-Mailed back and said mine was the only offer he had received and the BBX was mine.  We E-Mailed back and forth a few times to complete the sale, then I came on the Klipsch Forum and read the on the add for the BBX, I read your post stating that the BBX was yours, I contacted Michael Mathews asking what the hell was going on (@ 7:00 PM), I thought the preamp was mine.  He then E-Mailed back stating that he had made a big mistake and confused me with you and that yes the BBX was yours for the taking.  My thoughts were that something is wrong with this guy, you don't just make a mistake like that.  I am sorry to hear what has happened to you, it could have been me.  Contact the Postmaster General, this is considered interstate mail fraud as far as I know, they should be able to help.

Hope he didn't send it to the wrong person

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jordan,

I was at the USPS this afternoon and mentioned this to the branch manager. "Just report the money orders lost". Shouldn't be a big deal. They will be cancelled and your money refunded after about 4-6 weeks. If the guy is on the level you can just say you forgot. If he's a crook he doesn't have a lot he can say about it. Someone had to cash them. They will come out of someone's account.

How do you catch a crook? You follow the money trail.

Harry

Thanks for all the input, advice and good thoughts fellas. I have really been sick about this whole thing. Looks like things may work out one way or another afterall. I kind of feel like a d@#$%e bag thinking the worst of the guy after reading the email I just got from his wife, if of course it is true. All things considered, I feel I had reason to be concerned. We shall see.

Anyway, just got this email from Mike's wife about a half hour ago. It reads as follows:

Hello Jordan,

I am Beth- Mike's wife. Mike told me to log in and email you about the audio equipment you purchased from him (I hope I have the right email address). Mike is back in the hospital and has been unable to talk with you. He has instructed me to either mail your package (which seems to be only "half" packaged) or refund your money. I am making an executive decision to refund your money since I am no expert on proper packing techniques. We still have your original money order- never cashed -never deposited. You should have no trouble taking it back to your local post office and receiving cash for it. Mike has promised not to sell the equipment and offer you the first chance to buy it again upon his healthy return. He is willing to send it in "good faith" (not sure what that means). In the meantime, please accept your money back and our deepest apology.

God willing, he should be home in about 3 days or so. I am spending a lot of time there and may not be able to respond to emails for him.

Your money order was sent to the address written on the money order (hope that's OK). I sent it first class (2 day) with a signature and tracking confirmation. You will need to sign for it. The number is:

Sincerely,

Beth Matthews.

I highly doubt this "scam" involves a fake email with the guy posing as his wife saying the money is being refunded (with tracking number). Saying he only put 50 hours on the unit isn't the same as saying the unit only has 50 hours on it.

Thanks for all the input, advice and good thoughts fellas. I have really been sick about this whole thing. Looks like things may work out one way or another afterall. I kind of feel like a d@#$%e bag thinking the worst of the guy after reading the email I just got from his wife, if of course it is true. All things considered, I feel I had reason to be concerned. We shall see.

Anyway, just got this email from Mike's wife about a half hour ago. It reads as follows:

Hello Jordan,

I am Beth- Mike's wife. Mike told me to log in and email you about the audio equipment you purchased from him (I hope I have the right email address). Mike is back in the hospital and has been unable to talk with you. He has instructed me to either mail your package (which seems to be only "half" packaged) or refund your money. I am making an executive decision to refund your money since I am no expert on proper packing techniques. We still have your original money order- never cashed -never deposited. You should have no trouble taking it back to your local post office and receiving cash for it. Mike has promised not to sell the equipment and offer you the first chance to buy it again upon his healthy return. He is willing to send it in "good faith" (not sure what that means). In the meantime, please accept your money back and our deepest apology.

God willing, he should be home in about 3 days or so. I am spending a lot of time there and may not be able to respond to emails for him.

Your money order was sent to the address written on the money order (hope that's OK). I sent it first class (2 day) with a signature and tracking confirmation. You will need to sign for it. The number is:

Sincerely,

Beth Matthews.

This might as well be true, but when I was scammed, the seller came up with very artistic and realistic excuses... expect the best, but be prepared for the worst.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I think you can afford to wait, (without too much worry) for a few days. Hes provided a legit telephone number, street address and e-mail, so I cant imagine this was just an act to buy time. I figure youll get your dust back. Im rootin for you at any rate!

Hey! Maybe Audiogon and eBay should look into some type of collection service. You know, something like that dog guy and the woman with the humongous bazookas! Id hate to have the two of them coming over to squeeze a blackberry out of me!

I believe her. I hope he gets well soon, and you get the BBX, Jordan. Definitely suggest to her that a forum pal pick it up. I'd suspect there are several brethren close by to lend a hand. Maybe think about flowers for Michael.

Definitely suggest to her that a forum pal pick it up. I'd suspect there are several brethren close by to lend a hand.

Gary has mentioned that, and I travel not far from that house every other week. Next Sunday, in fact.

Larry