Any Fans of Beef Jerky Out There?

BEC

I have been sampling the various offerings of jerky vendors on eBay lately and have found one that is really special as far as my taste for jerky is concerned.

If you are a jerky fan, try the Cracked Pepper/Garlic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320147797014

NOTE: No affiliation with the seller.  Just a fan of the product.

Bob Crites

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a second there, I thought you might be talking about a rock musician. Like Beef Jerky was Meatloaf's son, or something.

Man, you guys bought it all out! I guess he's post more soon...[;)]

I have been sampling the various offerings of jerky vendors on eBay lately and have found one that is really special as far as my taste for jerky is concerned.

If you are a jerky fan, try the Cracked Pepper/Garlic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320147797014

NOTE: No affiliation with the seller. Just a fan of the product.

Bob Crites

I've ordered his Pepper & Garlic, Cajun and Seven Peppers. He can be contacted at skeletonbox@verizon.net

In the fall I usually like to make several batches in my Little Chief electric smoker. I normally use only sirloin steak and remove all traces of fat or gristle. I slice the steak into thick strips. Five pounds of steak renders about 2 to 2-1/2 pounds of finished product. This style of thick, chewy jerky was actually referred to back in the day by the cowboys as "Squaw Candy". If me or any of my fellow hunting buddies has any luck, then I also like to made a few batches using venison instaed of beef. It's all good!

Generally, I can make my marinade for the jerky anywhere from "sweet and spicy" to "sweet and holy crap"! I don't make the jerky year-round because the outside temperature drastically effects the amount of time the meat must remain in the smoker. 12 to 16 hours is usually the norm and I usually will do 3 different loads of wood during the time each batch is in the smoker. First I'll hit it with hickory, then mesquite, and then hickory again. There are about 5 different woods that I use depending on availablility and what sort of meat I am processing. It always tastes better than storebought and I NEVER add any salt!

• Moderators

Okay, okay....this shouldn't surprise some of you and I thought twice about even admitting this...dtel and I tasted nutria jerky once.

To my surprise it was very good [:)] I wouldn't have tasted it except I didn't know what kind of jerky it was! After tasting it I was told..."its nutria jerky"...

I didn't know nutria were vegetarians! That eased than anxiety I was feeling....a little bit!

• Moderators

Oldtimer,

I didn't have anything to do with trapping the nutria. My cousin managed to sneak the jerky in without me knowing what it was. Of course....I would never have eaten nutria jerky....just the thought of it was revolting....once I realized what it was!

I didn't realize people down here eat raccoons(sp)....now that's disgusting...cuz I know for a fact raccoons eat garbage.....I've got a story about that you guys wouldn't believe. I'll give you a hint raccoons are smarter than dtel!