Any Fans of Beef Jerky Out There?

BEC

Christy, when I was a kid we visited my step grandma in grayson la. She had squirrel stew on the stove I kid you not. Hey I would try nutria knowing that is what it was, just the french in me i guess.....

My mom had a garment with a nutria collar and it was really warm and soft.....

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Oldtimer,

It's really a small world! My step grandma was the world's best cook, I kid you not. She knew how to cook squirrel, stewed down with a brown gravy and rabbit....as well as duck.....talk about good stuff. Dtel's family is French, but I have never noticed the French influence in their cooking style. My step grandmother (whose parents immigrated from France) on the other hand was surely a good cook!

I didn't realize you had French in you. Yes, nutria fur is really warm and soft....

but hey I'm very low maintenance no fur necessary to keep me happy![;)]

I have been sampling the various offerings of jerky vendors on eBay lately and have found one that is really special as far as my taste for jerky is concerned.

If you are a jerky fan, try the Cracked Pepper/Garlic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320147797014

NOTE: No affiliation with the seller. Just a fan of the product.

Bob Crites

Jerky vendors on eBay ? "Get outta here !"

Like the bit on the original Man Show: "if only everything were made out of beef jerky."

Jerky is very lean Joe, but if you have to go to extremes to get your level down, you just have to.

Well... I don't know what the deal was, my cholesterol was 362! I thought I was eating pretty healthy.... I used to eat a couple bags of jerky a week, because it is lean & a good source of protein. But when I heard how bad my level was, I decided I better cut most of the red meat out of my diet! I think it also has something to do with the lack of vegetables in my diet? I dunno...

Got my pepper/garlic jerky today.   I'm not as impressed as I expected to be.  It is tender but it the taste is more just beef.  Little cracked pepper and I cannot discern the garlic at all.  The people are really very nice but I've had better jerky IMHO.  Back in 2003 when the Ralphs markets in So. Cal were on strike they used to put out a lot of cut meat at discount prices.  I bought a load of skirt steak for next to nothing.  I cut it in strips and let it sit in my home made teriyaki sauce for 3 days.  Then I smoked it until it was dry.  It was pretty good.  Sorry Bob but this didn't work for me.

Got my pepper/garlic jerky today.   I'm not as impressed as I expected to be.  It is tender but it the taste is more just beef.  Little cracked pepper and I cannot discern the garlic at all.  The people are really very nice but I've had better jerky IMHO.  Back in 2003 when the Ralphs markets in So. Cal were on strike they used to put out a lot of cut meat at discount prices.  I bought a load of skirt steak for next to nothing.  I cut it in strips and let it sit in my home made teriyaki sauce for 3 days.  Then I smoked it until it was dry.  It was pretty good.  Sorry Bob but this didn't work for me.

All of us have different tastes in food, for instance I can't stand teriyaki.  I think this is the best I have had.  I have not had some of all types of course.  Better ones could be out there.

Bob

Got my pepper/garlic jerky today. I'm not as impressed as I expected to be. It is tender but it the taste is more just beef. Little cracked pepper and I cannot discern the garlic at all. The people are really very nice but I've had better jerky IMHO. Back in 2003 when the Ralphs markets in So. Cal were on strike they used to put out a lot of cut meat at discount prices. I bought a load of skirt steak for next to nothing. I cut it in strips and let it sit in my home made teriyaki sauce for 3 days. Then I smoked it until it was dry. It was pretty good. Sorry Bob but this didn't work for me.

All of us have different tastes in food, for instance I can't stand teriyaki. I think this is the best I have had. I have not had some of all types of course. Better ones could be out there. Bob

I just got my garlic/pepper, cajun, and the new 7 peppers from them today also. The garlic/pepper is ok, somewhat bland for me (I've always liked really spicy jerky), but not bad at all; very good quality. The 7 peppers is really good, nice and spicy, but the cajun seasoning is my favorite!!! I need to invest in a smoker or something and make some myself with a little habanero sauce, etc..... [6]

I just got the garlic & pepper and seven pepper. Thought both were very nicely done. I've never really a jerky fan, but had never tasted any as good as this. Now I"m getting inspired. Need to locate some good recipe's to make some to put on the smoker at home.

Does anyone know the cut of beef that the Lakeshore bakery folks use in their jerky?

I just got the garlic & pepper and seven pepper. Thought both were very nicely done. I've never really a jerky fan, but had never tasted any as good as this. Now I"m getting inspired. Need to locate some good recipe's to make some to put on the smoker at home.

Does anyone know the cut of beef that the Lakeshore bakery folks use in their jerky? 

Dee,

They say in the ad that it is bottom round.

Bob