Is there a use for this?

oldenough

Hey, I need that.  I am just about to build one of those to hook up my electric generator to an outside outlet of my warehouse building to power it during power outages.

I will remember to turn off the main breaker first, I hope.

Bob 

I've actually seen one in use. My neighbors had their electricity shut off and ran one of these cords to MY outlet on my back porch to their house. It apparently works. These are the same neighbors that switched meters with me. My electric bills doubled. I run so much audio gear, 2 tv's, lights on all over the house, I didn't pay much attention to it. We had a fire in the apartment building and Indianapolis Power and Light Co. pulled the meters until the new wiring was inspected. Upon inspection it was determined my meter had been switched. My bill was pro-rated back from the time of the doubling of the bill and I was credited over $600. The neighbors lost their meter until their bill was paid in full + deposit. They then ran the cord with 2 male ends from my porch to their outlet. I unplugged the cord when I noticed it and cut the cord in pieces. Within a few minutes they had another cord to the neighbors on the other side.

Harry

• Moderators

I've actually seen one in use. My neighbors had their electricity shut off and ran one of these cords to MY outlet on my back porch to their house. It apparently works. These are the same neighbors that switched meters with me. My electric bills doubled. I run so much audio gear, 2 tv's, lights on all over the house, I didn't pay much attention to it. We had a fire in the apartment building and Indianapolis Power and Light Co. pulled the meters until the new wiring was inspected. Upon inspection it was determined my meter had been switched. My bill was pro-rated back from the time of the doubling of the bill and I was credited over $600. The neighbors lost their meter until their bill was paid in full + deposit. They then ran the cord with 2 male ends from my porch to their outlet. I unplugged the cord when I noticed it and cut the cord in pieces. Within a few minutes they had another cord to the neighbors on the other side.

Harry

HarryO, next time you see they connected to your house cut the end off and put a 220V plug on the end and plug it in by your clothes dryer !

Yes there is a use for this... Bob got it.

When the power goes out you plug one end into the generator and the other end into an outlet. viola... your lights come on...

But only the stuff that's on the same phase...

If you want eveything to come on you need a 230V plug on both ends...

Just make sure you open the breakers of the non-essential circuits.

And DONT' FORGET to open the MAIN BREAKER! If you don't you will kill the utility guy out on the pole after the voltage get stepped up to 13,000 volts on the transformer.

Which is why those things are illegal in most places. And automatic transfer switches are required.

(Not to mention that when the power comes back on you will blow you breaker or ruin you generator, because there is very little chance that the power coming in will be in phase with your generator.)