I got my Lascalas ... promptly took them to the desert to test them.

G.Kennedy

I drove out Saturday to pick up a pair of Lascala Industrials that had been listed on Craigs.  I am in LA .... the speakers in Palm Springs.  So my girlfriend and I loaded up the modified T-amp and went on a road trip.

They are perfect.  The cabinets are a bit chipped and dented.  The finish seems kind of dry and flakey.  The drivers and crossover (AA) seem all original.  I am pretty sure the cabinets have never been opened since the day they left the factory .... they were spotless inside.

The serial numbers are 1859 and 1860 for the bottoms and 1967 and 1968 for the tops.  There are some other letters stamped in to the wood.  USA ...W(1982???) and the bass units also have CN and JC on each unit.

I will try to load some photos in a bit.

Posted Image

OK I figured out how to load a photo.  Here are some more through the day.  We had a great time.  I got these in prep for my girlfriend 40th birthday that we are going to celbrate out on this lake bed.  We wanted to see if the T-amp could play these loud enough so we could skip the generator and mono blocks.  It does ... the monos will stay home.

Here you go.

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's pretty cool! Those were the cleanest insides I've ever seen. So were you two doing any dancing in the desert? That's a different date.

They look the right colour for ranch or saloon speakers in a cowboy movie.

Running on a tiny battery like that implies that they'd run fine off a solar cell. Now I know what speakers to use after society collapses and there's no more energy grid. La Scala: the first choice of survivalists and hermits!

Who like to rock!

Those were make from mid 1980 through 1981. The "W" you noted
must be the date code, in fact, making them 1981. That's the
optimum configuration. I would be suspicious of the caps in the
crossovers due to their age. You will love them even more if you
coat the squawker horn with warm Dynamat, or rope caulk to damp the
last bit of ringing it has.

If/when you strip and refinish the cabinets, add a brace to the mouth of the basshorn like this:

Place
the brace about an inch above or below the center of the
basshorn. It will stop a resonance that makes male voices a
little heavy.

What a cool place to setup and listen!

They have the highly desirable solder terminal K-55V's that were only used from '80 - '83 as well. They look super clean and you don't see the bare birch two piece pro La Scala's too often. Nice score!

Thanks for the awesome photos.

Congrats,

Super looking pair of LS. Killer road trip and the pics are beautiful. This will be great in the photo album and memories of an awesome trip everytime you fire them up.

You may want to frame and display a set of pics in your audio room.

I'm definitely jealous of your whole experience of the trip and the speakers. WOW!!!!!!!

Harry

Hey, Thanks for all the comments.  Yes we had a great time.  The thing is .. this is the kind of duty the speakers will be pulling.  We head out to the lakebeds monthly ... with dirtbikes and cameras .... some beer and wine.  I actually don't really have space for Lascalas in my house.  We are going to set them up for a party Saturday night, but mostly they are going to go out on bigger camping trips with us, and be stored the rest of the time.

The 7ah battery surprised me and kept on going ... we never killed it.  The tripath chip in the amp really is amazingly efficient.

As for mods ... probably not going to change anything right now.  I am sure the caps could use replacement, but being sealed for 26 years, the AA crossovers look brand new, it would be a shame to mod them.  I would prpbably replace the whole crossover and keep these stock.

Finish .. well the laquer is pretty dry and flakey ... especially on tthe top of the LF units.  For now I am just going to feed the wood some wax to protect it and see how is goes.  There is a lot of surface on a Lascala and I do not have that kind of time right now.

I may add some steel corners to the bottom of the LF unit.  These are going to get moved a bunch.

I'll get some more detail photos up later.

Here are the last two from the sunrise.

Posted Image

Posted Image

clean clean clean, solder terminals AND AA networks- wowwowowowww

I wouldn't put corners on them, I'd get Anvil cases for them. You could leave them on the tray portion to roll them around.

I dub them the "LSI split woodies", I've only seen photos of a couple of pairs like that. Had to be a pretty special order, I'd like to hear the history on them.

You're my hero man