Krauss and Plant....'Raising Sand'

UFObuster

I previewed this cd on walmart.com and unfortunately it wasn't my cup of tea. I had great expectations for it and really wanted to like it. I'll give it a listen in the future and maybe it will click. Directv has concerts on Sundays and my wife and I both liked Vince Gill live at the Ryman Auditorium and the Mavericks live in I believe in Austin Tx. I will purchase the Vince Gill DVD whenever it is released. And also the Mavericks DVD. We aren't really country and western listeners but bothed liked these two concerts. But we both like good music regardless of style.

..... But we both like good music regardless of style.

The best way to go. Good music is good music.

Alison Krauss is a singer you either love or hate I think. Her pitch is spot on. Her timing is excellent. For some it means her performance has no feeling, but hearing these songs with Plant, they obviously were right together.

I bought the last vinyl copy in Asheville, NC this past weekend. I've not listened to it yet, but I can imagine this is an album that one will need to hear a few time to get their mind wrapped around it. I personally can't wait as both of these singer are and were my fav's from different times in my life!

I have the CD and Vinyl and did not notice any hiss. Both sound great. Plant and Krauss blend pretty well. Some of the songs are kinda dark. If you are married, I suggest you do not listen to the last cut together, Your Long Journey. Pretty sad. Wish there were more upbeat songs on it.

i dont knotice any hiss on my vinyl copy Joe

Just put it on again (CD), and I don't hear any hiss either. I carefully listened to the one section in the intro on track one where they "hold up" for a second or two. Can't hear any hiss (stuck my ear in the K77 hole just to make sure). Done with TASCAM CC-222-MK-II/ old but good "Pro-Audio" interconnects, via Sansui AU-11000a (set to flat response), 12 gauge generic "monster cable" speaker wire to Klipschorns with fresh AK-3's). Moderate volume, about 3 of 10 on the scale (-43 dB for 115 wpc).

There's definitely hiss on the CD. I went searching to see if anyone else noticed it, and therefore, found this forum. I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed it. I first heard it with track 3-Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us, when I was listening through some headphones. It seems to be from the original recording since the beginning of track 4-Polly Come Home starts off clean and then begins to hiss right when the bass drum hits and continues throughout.

A word of advice, if you haven't noticed it, don't go looking for it!! It almost (not quite) ruins such a great album.

• 2 months later...

I hear this is out of print and out of stock. I bought the last two LPs I could find in the USA and Canada. Found one in Australia, still there as far as I know. Don't know if they will print more. Hope the record shop ships them to me! If you can locate it might be worth grabbing. CD's still available.

it reminded me of Bonnie Raitt's Angel From Montgomery...

Actually, Bonnie Raitt's "Angel from Montgomery" is really John Prine's "Angel from Montgomery" - Bonnie just did a cover.

Personally, I prefer the original.

Bonnie & John do a live duet on the John Prine anthology "Great Days" on Rhino records (still prefer the original).

James