How Vinyl Got It's Groove Back

thebes

Better buy those used records while you can cause even CBS Evening News is now reporting that lps are on the re-bound with about 1.6 million to be newly issued this year, double over last year. Silly fellows, though, offered no cogent reporting as to why this is actually happening.

Here's the link:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/08/19/eveningnews/main4364986.shtml?source=mostpop_story

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now all we have to do is invent the "turntable Air"....It could be half the thickness of the Mac Air....just slide your 12 inch into the transport....plug in your ear buds and the kiddies will be happy.....the top can even be the monitor to see all the "larger pics" and a quick video game......

hey I might be onto something.....where did I put the number to my Patent Lawyer!!!!!!!

I think vinyls are on the way back in part because of the increasing
popularity of DJing. At least where I've seen them, most of the new
vinly releases are rap/hip hop. I think another part of it is that
younger people (I might just be one of the youngest persons on these
forums) are getting tired of the crappy quality of CDs. Plus vinyls and the stuff you get with them are so cool! I am absolutley jealous of my dad's iron on he saved from the I-don't-remeber-which Chicago album. Stuff like that. Granted it is handy to have all of your music in a little white plastic box, but I really am not a fan, but it's all I've got. Besides our old Pioneer PL-L70 is broken and it's all we've got as far as turntables go [:'(]. One last thing in my semi-rant, and you knowlegable fellows can correct me on this, but one of the main reasons I'm reluctant to start using vinyls is that they wear out. All of the ones we own are my parents' and I'm afraid that I'd listen to them so much (and I listen to music A LOT) that they'd wear out and be gone, permanently. Is this correct?

I believe the vinyl revival is due in large part to me. I've been told the young-uns follow my habits pretty closely. When I posted about getting the Thorens up and running, the MSM reports of the comeback of LPs began hitting the news stands. Put two and two together, my friends. I keep trying to be different, but it always backfires.

Hula Hoops are making a comeback too !!!!!!!!! Vinyl will never be mainstream again, just a passing fancy, although the college radio stations have "Vinyl Nights" on air around here. I just love the clicks, pops, static, and the skips ............. That's why I left vinyl in the first place !!!!!!!!

I went to CD because I was tired of the "crappy sounding" vinyl, and what I ended up with is a lot of crappy sounding CD's. It's the same now as it was back when I was buying records -- every once in while I'll land a CD that actually sounds good. Of course, you can avoid all of this by simply buying well recorded music you don't like.

>I just love the clicks, pops, static, and the skips .............

Should have taken better care of them, Buck. I don't have that problem with mine.

>One last thing in my semi-rant, and you knowlegable fellows can correct me on this, but one of the main reasons I'm reluctant to start using vinyls is that they wear out.

The answer is yes and no. While true that even with the finest setup some damage is done each play it is so small as to be cumulatively irrelevant unless you are a DJ playing the same disk many hundreds of times. I have discs dating to the '30's that have very little and no signs of wear. I have one stereo LP that is one of the earliest issued that is near silent. I have had it for 35 years.

Further, I digitize my favorites at 24/88.2 using a DBX to restore the dynamic range and/or eliminate any surface noise as required, take out any impulse noises manually with an editor (easy and quick one you get the drill down), and store them on my music server. Perfect sound forever...finally.

Most of the percieved ills of phonograph records (and, as a collector of all recorded media I prefer that to "vinyl") are vastly overated. They cost a lot more in terms of hardware to get the most from them, but with the software costs so low these days it evens out or costs less than other modern media. For those with catholic (word used denotatively here) tastes in music the vast majority of what I love, great classical works by master performers, jazz legends, early rock and roll, etc, are not and may never be available any other way.

Then there is the "Record Crawl" when I find a friend or can get the PAW to go with me prowling Goodwills, junk shops, or whatever in search of the 50 cent "WOW."

Priceless.

Dave

True Dean. Lots of used crappy sounding vinyl out there. However, if you are truly a vinyl fan, you will know about the hundreds, if not thousands, of your favorite LPs that are reissued every year. From classic rock to jazz to classical to new music, it's all out there in splendid 180-200 gram pressings and 99% of them sound amazing. Significantly better than the originals. The only problem is they are expensive. Rhino Records is releasing about a dozen new releases of our old favorites every month on 180 gram virgin vinyl for $24.99 each. They all sound terrific. Most of you know about the Blue Note 45 RPM series issued by Music Matters and Analogue Productions but they cost $50/double LP. Those old records have never sounded better though. Also, Mobile Fidelity continues its releases for about $30/each and a number of Japanese companies (Universal for one) have 180 and 200 gram pressings of a variety of music, new and old, for about $20 - $35. Groups like Pink Floyd, The Doors and Led Zeppelin are releasing box sets that blow away any prior releases I've ever heard. I didn't even mention Classic Records who have been doing this for years now.

If you are into vinyl, chances are you already know about these new albums. If you don't, check out the Acoustic Sounds or Elusive Disc websites. If you have the funds, the sky is the limit for incredible sounding new vinyl. I don't buy CDs anymore. I save my money for new vinyl.

I love the sound of good vinyl. I have a nice private collection that's all pristine. I keep them stored in a closet under lock and key.

I also don't have the time to mess with vinyl. I'm lucky to get time late at night to listen to one album once a week or so.

The tube HDCD player is a good compromise for just normal "background" listening. Grab the remote and have decent music playing.

Glad to see vinyl is experiencing a resurection. I just started collecting nice turntables again.

Can't beat the sound with a good set up.

Harry BTW, Dave you made some very nice recordings. Thank you

Thanks, Harry. If you've followed any of my posts on the subject over the years you will know that my digital recording is because of vinyl. The science said digital should be better. My ears said it wasn't. By and large, they still do but not all the time any more. My transfers of vinyl to digital are transparent to my own ears. I am running three turntables now, and have two others not in my systems...one in storage and one at a friends beach house so I can have vinyl when we visit.

Of course, with the Korg MR-1 I can also take my hi res transfers in my pocket so that TT isn't so critical any more.

As irrational and inexplicable as it is to those who don't have the bug there is just something special about slipping them big ol discs out of a sleave and putting it on the table. Even cleaning is a ritual. Perhaps we should develop an LP ceremony on the model of the Japanese tea ceremont where the act of playing the record becomes the object rather than the music. For many, it is almost that serious.

I assumed this was mainly a melancholia of us ol farts, but now we hear even the young are catching it.

It was around 2 years ago that LP releases caught up with SACD/DVD-A and now it is 4-1. Amazing. There is even a small but dedicated bunch resurrecting the reel to reel.

HIFI will NEVER die! I am lovin' it.

Dave

PS - Thanks Marty...you did not even have to strain your pen to start this one...great thread.

Id like to have a $10,000 gift card to either of these guys:

http://www.elusivedisc.com/products.asp?dept=964

http://store.acousticsounds.com/store.cfm

Sometimes it's best to go right to the source. My copy of Mothership ships tomorrow:

http://ledzeppelin.shop.bravadousa.com/Dept.aspx?cp=733_13810 Plus, I get a free patch with my order!! Whoopie!!!

I have quite a large vinyl collection with many rare and first release albums. CDs, however, have spoiled me with their quietness and convenience so I haven't played any vinyl in years. One day when I have time I will archive my collection onto a server, de-noise as required, and burn to CD for playback. Until then it'll have to be looking at the cover art and reminiscing.

BTW, vinyl albums in bookcases placed at the rear of the listening room make great diffusers and don't look wierd like acoustical treatments.