Colter's Shop of Klipsch

colterphoto1

• Moderators

" Today I am just a laborer but that's ok."

No shame in hard work, look at it this way your hard work is saving the homeowner money, and I am sure he appreciates it ! [:D]

Couldn't pass this one up, just a small part but...

" and life was great. That seems like a lifetime ago "

It still is great, although it does seem like a lifetime ago. You would have to say you are better off than you were, 5-6 years ago, might not be as much fun, but better off. [;)]

This building will add to your homes value, give you room for your hobby and free up space in your garage for your car, how can you lose ?

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colterphoto1, "I'm taking over at GC so will be fetching materials and helping run bobcat for further excavation tomorrow."

Just remember if you do not do everything yourself with your own hands, so every inch of drywall , mud, n tape, and paint it.... "some on here" will say you just had it done!

While truthfully, they are just jealous! hahahahaha J/K

Proud of you dude.. One step and day at a time... Be sure and take some pics along the journey too.

Your Buddie Roger

The "slab" thing over the 2' of gravel of course has to be approved by the building inspector and comply with current building codes. Where I live it would not be approved unless you used conventional below frost methods (30")

JJK

Please be careful Michael. I've seen too many people hurt themselves doing construction, especially those who don't do it all the time.

People don't realize the physical nature and inherent risks involved in construction. Just recently I had to line up a different guy to plow our driveway this winter. Seems he was helping his son put an addition on the house and fell off a ladder, through the staircase opening and landed on his head. He's completely paralyzed.

Greg

Yes, be very careful Michael.

My uncle was almost killed back in the 70's, well pretty much would've died if not for the CPR applied by one of his co-workers when a pallet or big pile of lumber dislodged and crushed him in his forklift. He ended up being pretty lucky but still has nerve damage in one of his arms and may still be on quite a bit of pain medication.

I almost clobbered my wife with an auger on a Bobcat as I was raising the auger and pulling forward and did not see her walking towards me a few years ago.

A gentleman who has come to our local table tennis club managed to run over himself with one of his tractors and pretty much crushed his hip a few months ago.

Not trying to scare you, just a reminder to be extra careful and be sure to stop when you think that angle will be OK or a little more won't be too much. And whatever you do, don't hurry. Easier said than done if you're renting the Bobcat by the day or even the week. And if you're not sure it might be time to consult a professional. I'm sure you'll be fine. Just be carefull.

And when you're done, you'll have an awesome workshop that you'll know how it's put together. Too bad the pex has to go but you've got to draw the budgetary line somewhere I suppose.... though if you can save enough doing more of the work yourself...

Whatever you do, don't skip on the insulation and vapor barrier. Nothing's worse than a damp slimy garage floor.

Of course maybe fini and greg928gts could offer some advice if you call and/or email them? Could even send them a picture of the problem you're trying to solve.

Greg, you have mail. Rethinking the PEX thing. I'm in charge so could delay the pour if I can get the supplies and assistance with how-to.

Right now we are planning on 1" pink board vertically inside the foundation. The thinner size was decided upon so we can run it up past the floor so as to provide an important thermal break between foundation and floor. No plans to put horizontal sheets down 24" from the edge or otherwise per my insulation contractor friend, unless I go to the PEX. 1500ft2 / 32 ft2 = 50 sheets of the stuff, 2" would be $1,000 to insulate the floor plus what another $2,000 in tubing? I don't know how much would have to be laid down.

6 mil or 10 mil for the vapor barrier and it goes below any slab insulation, right? I would guess that you'd want to keep moisture out of your insulation.

Money is tight, it's a barn. I don't have to be that comfortable and probably couldn't afford to run the heater even with the system installed. I have no idea of the cost to heat such a building with such a system. I know it's the way to go if the space has to be evenly heated but not sure it's a requirement for me right now.

But I also realize I only get one shot at it. arrrgggh HELP please?

And guys, I appreciate the concern but despite my weeny arm appearance (yeah right), I worked in residential remodeling for a few years and can handle most trades. I know my physical limits and will steer clear of the heavy machinery and high places. I never liked high places anyway. Got a carpenter crew of two guys who will do the roof system and we're renting a small crane for the joists. I'll be installing insulation, running the compactor (fun), and helping layout and stand the walls. Other that that it'll be door installs, siding and interior work. No probleemo.

Besides, it's only 17 feet tall and I have nice soft ground to land on.

M

Thanks to the help of Greg928S, I got all the materials needed to insulate my foundation and floor and heat with radiant tubing in the floor.

We have 1" foam around the perimenter of the foundation and have 6 mil poly vapor barrier and 2" foam for the floor, next will go steel mesh, and the PEX will be ty-wrapped to that.

PEX PARTY on Sunday! I'll roll out the LSI's, we'll jam to some great tunes, have some Some Guys pizza, and get this baby ready for floor to be poured. So get your lifetime membership to Club Colter and show up Sunday any time after 11 am. We'll be out back- just follow your ears!

Michael

I got a 200 pound vibrator. let the jokes begin...[:$]

MORE fill gravel! geesh this is a big hole (more joking) [:o]

Where's Fini where you need him? [*-)]

Looks like I"m going to fiddle around spending money while Rome burns today, eh? [:@]

Got Starbucks and an Arturo Fuente- this is a HIGH CLASS construction site baby - yeah! [H]

gravel and sand are in and tamped. the concrete finisher came by and approved the fill levels and checked everything.

If you're coming by on Sunday to help with the floor system, THANKS in advance. I'll probably start around 10-11 but it might take all afternoon. I could use some help whenever anyone could swing by. Thanks!