• Recent Topic Activity

• Recent Posts

• LOL!  If Hovland was still around, I'd use nothing else. 
    • Mike that is actually very cool  And in our lingo very hip 🤘😎
    • Used to be 1-800-Klipsch would get you to the parts department.    I thought Crites woofers were cheaper than OEM Klipsch.  If Crites woofers meet K-33-E specs, they will work in your Khorns.    You should be able to get the bad one reconed at a local pro audio shop. 
    • If it makes any difference at all, it will be tiny and only because something on the shared circuit generated a *lot* of noise/transients.  Since all of the neutrals and safety grounds are bonded together and half of the hots are bonded (connected) together, a dedicated circuit can't do much more than prevent a breaker trip when you start the vacuum cleaner.  I had a dedicated 30 amp circuit pulled because I have 3 amps that can pull 1800 watts each, plus Pre/Pro, TV and sources.  If your system could pull 2400 watts, a 20A circuit could be justified.    Are your components so poorly made that they cannot filter out normal power line noise?  Mine are not.  Determine that answer before you invest money in snake oil.    How old is the wiring in your house?  Has it deteriorated?  Why would your speaker cables deteriorate?  Are they corroded?  Have you measured an increase in resistance?    Consider room treatments.  Maybe your dealer can run some measurements and suggest improvements. 
    • It appears that one of my woofers died today. Using my multi meter I could see the signal coming from the crossover and the fuse is good.   Before I take it outside and bury it, I thought I would find out how to purchase a new pair from Klipsch. Does the company have a parts department where I can buy replacements? Is it worth the extra $$ to buy Crites woofers?   My understanding is no, because of the folded horn.
    • It's full when it sits on the seat...
    • I got my speakers today and hooked them up to the amp above and the AWR-650-SM Rock Speakers sound amazingly clear, but are missing the punch of bass with only a 6.5 woofer. The AW-650s were a real disappointment. They had a bit better bass, but lacked any clean reproduction from my CD to make me say they even sounded 'good'. They did not, and definitely not for $300. If I add a passive rock subwoofer to the two AWR-650-SMs Rock Speakers and wire them as mono speakers, the system would sound awesome. I sent back the AWR-650s. Maybe add two more AWR-650-SM Rock Speakers to Channel B R/L in the stereo mode to complete to system. We'll have the bass then we need for the crisp mids and highs, the AWR-650-SMs already perform. BTW. My old amplifier is holding up, although I did have it cranked too high, enjoying the tunes and the amp shut down, but came back on, after a short cool down. Had to turn back on manually, but it worked fine afterwards, as long as I didn't drive the amplifier too hard. I will be needing to turn it up outdoors, but will be limited by the amp and the neighbors.
    • Hey Darrell,   I've heard that the MC240 is the only other amp that has the sweet magic of the MC225, in fact some accounts say the MC240 might be a tad sweeter. It's spot on that the highs seem softer on the MC225 and that is definitely what I was looking for...although I would say that it doesn't seem like the highs are rolled off in an unnatural way. The highs are still clear and I can see into the mix nicely but there is never a shred of sharpness in the sound.    You mentioned a Bay Area amp shoutout; I'm in the Bay Area myself (Pacifica) and would be up for another shootout. I'd be happy to host if others are interested.    I'd love to hear the Moondogs or any other SET based amp. For now at least, I have the J2 and MC252 amps here as well. 
    • It's a funny thing you mention John; a very knowledgeable member of the forum recommended him as a restorer. I just sent off pics of the inside and outside to John earlier today to assess the condition. If you have ever wanted to ogle the insides of the MC225, here you go: https://photos.app.goo.gl/bkqDNE5iMxEf9CZg7   Where on your 225 can you see the year of manufacture?    I agree with you that the relative simplicity of the circuit is part of the magic. I started watching this vid to understand it. Can't really discern from the details what creates the magic yet:   
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      2.4m
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    cozido