OT: So What's in your humidor?

J.4knee

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smoking cigarettes killed both my parents at early ages.

I understand the dangers, I do not get addicted to tobacco. I am lucky in that way and can enjoy an occasional cigar. Probably I smoke maybe 2-4 per month during the summertime. Mostly the inventory is for enjoying with guests.

Stew: Sorry about the situation regarding your son's father-in-law. Just trying to rescue the thread as diplomatically as possible under the circumstances.....

You did fine. I have no problem with this thread--I have no problem with people smoking either (kinda). Both my Dad and my adopted Dad (who happened to be his younger brother) both heavy smokers and both died from cancer. I started smoking in my early teens and then at age 14 smoked pot EVERY day and all day. extremely heavy smoker and by my 20's I had damaged my lungs. Now, I have pills and three inhalers to help me breathe--so, I'd prefer that my loved ones not smoke. BUT, I do love the smell from someone smoking a pipe, and sometimes a cigar smell is okay too. When I was on the ship in the Coast Guard, we all went through a phase of smoking Swisher Sweets.

To be clear, the agent Orange did not cause OB's lung cancer. Look it up yourselves. There is no relation to lung cancers and agent orange. It would not have gone that deep into the respiratory tract. Tthe lungs natural protective physiology would not allow it. OB in his own words started smoking when he was 14 and smoked 2 packs per day for over 40 years. Lung cancer was once considered a rare disease. It did not become common until the end of the 19th century, about 20 years after the automated manufacturing of cigarettes was invented. You can track the incidence of lung cancer directly with cigarette consumption, especially in women (their records were better kept). What was the predominant form of tobacco related cancer before lung cancer? Oral pharyngeal cancers were. Why? Because people smoked cigars. Churchill may have survived but many others have not including President Grant. Yessir tobacco is a real fine vice until the day something dire presents itself. I am a moderator on the Pulmonology Channel. You should read some of what I do on a daily basis. I abhor tobacco for thousands of wonderful reasons and I hope never to see one of our Forum members numbered among them again.

I am against cancer, starvation, death from thirst, depression, mental illness, drunk driving, sleepy driving, green house gases, running with sissors, cruel treatment to animals, people, fish, trees etc

does that mean that you are FOR e-coli, skunk beer, and Laverne & Shirley marathons?

Being in a family with 3 doctors I know and understand where Oscar is coming from however it is a freedom we are afforded if we so choose knowing good and well what the outcome may be!

I always call it a numbers game (of course like Oscar says the numbers went out the roof after mass manufacturing came about), George made it 99 years with a stogie before her saw Gracie again[;)]

I've lost two buddy's to mouth/esoph cancer and then I have a cigar chomping, tobacco chewing great uncle who can probably run a mile faster than I[:|] I smoked cigs for some 4 1/2 years and then just said one day it's not worth the chance but I do love an occasional Padron 1926[:D]

My current humidors hold several fine cigars donated to me by my good buddy Seti, unfortunately I received them because his father passed away last year and Ian knew I liked a good string gar now and again. (I do love a tasty Maduro as did Bob)

• Moderators

Oscar, this has nothing to do with what you said, cigarettes kill, I know.

But breathing unknown quantities for who knows how long of something made to kill plants can't be OK for you. #1 I don't trust what the government says is safe, or studies done independently, this was a big deal many years ago when many people coming back home started having many different effects, conveniently none had to do with anything they were exposed to, guess they had already spent too much money in VA hospitals and didn't want another problem.

I just don't trust almost any study done for or by the government, just look at some of the things they have pulled off and are still doing. We probably never even got a straight answer on everything that was sprayed or used over there, we used our own service men in the past to test different chemicals.

Oscar this has nothing to do with what you said.

Oscar, this has nothing to do with what you said, cigarettes kill, I know.

But breathing unknown quantities for who knows how long of something made to kill plants can't be OK for you. #1  I don't trust what the government says is safe, or studies done independently, this was a big deal many years ago when many people coming back home started having many different effects, conveniently none had to do with anything they were exposed to, guess they had already spent too much money in VA hospitals and didn't want another problem.

I just don't trust almost any study done for or by the government, just look at some of the things they have pulled off and are still doing. We probably never even got a straight answer on everything that was sprayed or used over there, we used our own service men in the past to test different chemicals.

Oscar this has nothing to do with what you said. 

There are problems associated with agent orange. Lung cancer is not one of them. There is no lung cancer epidemic among our veterans nor of any of our allies veterans exposed to agent orange. There is no lung cancer epidemic in the population of south or north Viet Nam where agent Orange was used. Medical nebulizers must get particle size extremely small to get any useful quantities to the extremities of the lungs. Most still gets washed out in the mouth. There's been lots of studies in this regard as they examine how medications are deposited and distributed in the lungs using aerosols. An industrial spray initiated at altitude with the intent of washing foliage will not produce particles small enough to get into the lungs in any great amount. This is shown in the health statistics in these exposed populations. Tobacco, on the other hand, is a smoking gun for lung cancer. If you weigh OBs history of exposure to agent orange numbered in what months at most (I mean actually in the midst of it) versus an 80 plus pack year history of cigarette consumption the causal relationship becomes clear as a bell. I am not trying to dispel any health problems about agent orange or defend any gov't actions. This is the truth.

Stew: Sorry about the situation regarding your son's father-in-law. Just trying to rescue the thread as diplomatically as possible under the circumstances.....

You did fine. I have no problem with this thread--I have no problem with people smoking either (kinda). Both my Dad and my adopted Dad (who happened to be his younger brother) both heavy smokers and both died from cancer. I started smoking in my early teens and then at age 14 smoked pot EVERY day and all day. extremely heavy smoker and by my 20's I had damaged my lungs. Now, I have pills and three inhalers to help me breathe--so, I'd prefer that my loved ones not smoke. BUT, I do love the smell from someone smoking a pipe, and sometimes a cigar smell is okay too. When I was on the ship in the Coast Guard, we all went through a phase of smoking Swisher Sweets.

Some people sure like their cigars, and an occasional one may not be very harmful. However, what happened to OB kind of hit me, since I buried my younger brother four years ago after his lung cancer spread to his liver, just like OB. My father and step-father stopped smoking years earlier, but not until they'd had a few heart attacks. Oh, and Freud, that iconic cigar enthusiast, died of mouth cancer.

On the bright side, after I lost my brother, I decided it was time to get the stereo I'd always wanted, since I'd just seen clearly that none of us really know how much time we have left. Now, after four years, I've got a system that's beyond anything I'd imagined back then. I'd much rather have him back, though.

Wow, you guys are a big downer. I clicked this thread hoping to find nice cigar talk. I thnk most of us are adults and know the effects of our actions. We are all free to do as we like and bare the consequences of our actions. Being lectured by people high atop a soap box will most likely not change things. Start an anti tobacco thread and rant all you want and I will kindly ignore it. Perhaps you nay-sayers should do the same in this thread. After all as the saying goes - if you can't say something nice....[;)]

Now that is off my chest I feel better. Smok em if you got em.As for my humidor, it has several different things of particular interest is an Opus X, a few Cohibas and about 1/2 a box of Montecristo Number 2. The Cohibas and MCs are the real deal straight from Havana, via my trip out of the country last April.

If you are offended by pix of a guy enjoying himself look away. For the rest of you here is a shot of me burning one. What could be better; tunes, beer brewing magazine, sun a private island and a cuban.

PSVBeer.jpg