Record Cleaning

mdbrien

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think JBryan was experimenting with an inexpensive steam machine from Kmart? or some discount store. Pauln also had a formula for home made record cleaning fluid in the same thread in 2 channel.

Do a search on JBryan in 2 channel and it should be the second post there.

Good luck.

I had a VPI 16.5 and got rid of it. My friend is also getting rid of his Nitty Gritty. We both use a steam cleaner. Works great. $30 at Walgreens. Go to Audio-goon and look for the threads. Of course those freaks had to make it difficult by insisting that you need a VPI machine, special magic water, cross contamination concerns, etc. You'd think that they are doing open heart surgery. One person swears that you have to let the steamer preheat for at least 1/2 hour (of course there is a light that turns off after a few minutes when it is heated up and the heater is turned off). Another guy is the self appointed guru who addresses everyone as if he were the messiah. Record Steaming is his life's work and he is determined to be the best steamer in history. It is actually a pretty funny (and very long) read.

The "Perfection Steam Cleaner" from Walgreens (it is Red), distilled water from a grocery store, and the yellow microfiber cloths from the Home depot do the trick. Just plunk the record down on a towel. Prewipe any visible dust or junk off with a damp microfiber cloth. Use the 90 degree attachment (very important) and hold the steamer about 3" from the record surface. It does not get that hot. Then wipe off with the microfiber cloth and flip over, do the other side and play. You should also buy some nice record liners as the rice paper tends to fall apart over time.

If the record still has noise, make up a solution of 2/3 to 3/4 distilled water, 1/4 to 1/3 rubbing alcohol (don't obsess over the water content in the alcohol like the Audio-goons) and about 1 drop of diswashing detergent per about 8 to 12 oz or so. I put this mixture in a water bottle and poke a small hole in the top to squirt it. I use that mixture with a Disc Doctor brush, then steam it off.

The steamer is quiet so you can listen while you steam. It just makes a little noise while you are actuallly steaming. I spend a few hours every time and do many records at once while enjoying a few Coronas.

The other thing that happens is that the static is removed from the record. I keep them in their liners and after cleaning do not need to brush them before playing anymore. I have revived a handful of $1 records to Excellent or even NM- condition.

"make up a solution of 2/3 to 3/4 distilled water, 1/4 to 1/3 rubbing alcohol (don't obsess over the water content in the alcohol like the Audio-goons) and about 1 drop of diswashing detergent per about 8 to 12 oz or so. I put this mixture in a water bottle and poke a small hole in the top to squirt it. I use that mixture with a Disc Doctor brush, then steam it off. "

Hey, that's my mixture! Except I use the car wax applicator pads from the Dollar Store.

Thanks much for the steamer method, I have a lot of vinyl that hasn't seen the light of day for a while and cleaning is a chore. I'll get one tomorrow!

Coronas on me when you get to Atlanta.

Let me go on record as being firmly opposed to any record cleaning solution that uses alcohol.

They say it does not harm anything but shellac records but I'm here to tell you they are wrong.

I purchased a Nitty Gritty from a nice fellow Forum member and he threw in a commercial record cleaner with alcohol in it. I did about 100 records with this solution and all of them now evidence something akin to static.

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now it wasn't this person's fault, he was doing me a favor by passing the fluid along. You'll also have people chiming in saying they use mixtures with alcohol and it sounds great. THEY EITHER HAVE CRUMMY SYSTEMS OR REALLY BAD EARS.[:D]

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't often tender technical advice cause mostly I know not of what I speak. I feel no reluctance in offering a firm opinon on this issue and I hope you will all take it to heart.

There are too many alternatives to alcohol to take the chance on wrecking your records.

Drink it, get a massage with it, use it with white shellac as a primer/sealer, but don't put it on your records.

There is alcohol and then there is alcohol. Do not use isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). It is OK to use completely denatured alcohol in small amounts with triple steam distilled water. Completely denatured alcohol does not have the impurities of isopropyl, and will say 190 proof or more on the label.

There is alcohol and then there is alcohol. Do not use isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). It is OK to use completely denatured alcohol in small amounts with triple steam distilled water. Completely denatured alcohol does not have the impurities of isopropyl, and will say 190 proof or more on the label.

For albums I use technical alcohol (denatured); otherwise it's Maker's Mark, not quite 190 proof.

Let me go on record as being firmly opposed to any record cleaning solution that uses alcohol.

They say it does not harm anything but shellac records but I'm here to tell you they are wrong.

I purchased a Nitty Gritty from a nice fellow Forum member and he threw in a commercial record cleaner with alcohol in it. I did about 100 records with this solution and all of them now evidence something akin to static.

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now it wasn't this person's fault, he was doing me a favor by passing the fluid along. You'll also have people chiming in saying they use mixtures with alcohol and it sounds great. THEY EITHER HAVE CRUMMY SYSTEMS OR REALLY BAD EARS.Big Smile

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't often tender technical advice cause mostly I know not of what I speak. I feel no reluctance in offering a firm opinon on this issue and I hope you will all take it to heart.

There are too many alternatives to alcohol to take the chance on wrecking your records.

Drink it, get a massage with it, use it with white shellac as a primer/sealer, but don't put it on your records.

Marty,

I have only used it on about 10 albums. What should I use that I can mix up in my kitchen and is cheap. I bought the Record Research magic formula once and it was a waste of a lot of money (for what it was).

Do not use isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol).

So I guess I should stop using my Audio-Technica AT6012 record care solution which contains isopropyl alcohol? Or is it different since I'm not steaming? I have the old school felt pad and the mentioned cleaner but I'm looking for something stronger on my garage sale finds.

Pure isopropyl is fine. Rubbing alcohol contains isoprpopyl and lanolin, which is not fine.

The stuff at the following link is phenomenal. It made old records that seemed beyond all help sound nearly new.

http://www.audioxpress.com/bksprods/products/km-9.htm

I am trying to avoid the designer stuff. I want to be able to go to the grocery or drug store and get refills.

I just checked the alcahol that I used. It is Save On / Osco (nothing but the best in out house [:|]) and its ingredients are 70% isoporpyl alcohol and "Also Contains: water." Looks like the cheap stuff does not have Lanolin in it.

The label also says EXP08/2008; Hmmmmm....

A great local record store owner and I had a good talk about what to use. But spending $40+ for a 3oz bottle is a waste. Local record store owner mixes up is own solution and when I used it on Lps that I thought were clean I was amazed. A 20Fl oz bottle was $9.00. Maybe that might be the best bet for some of you?

I would imagine that lanolin found in "rubbing" alcohol could really gum things up. Lanolin is a skin conditioner and keeps the skin from drying out during a body rub. I was once told to find an old fashioned pharmacy and ask the pharmacist for some realitivly pure alcohol (97%).

That being said you may want to reread what Marty said.

How about just triple distilled water and a steam unit?

I'd stay away from denatured alcohol as well. "Denatured" means they added nasty tasting toxic substances to keep doufuses from drinking it. Defore being denatured, it is 190 proof grain alcohol, aka Everclear. IF you use alcohol (I wouldn't), Everclear is the stuff to use.

I'd stay away from denatured alcohol as well. "Denatured" means they added nasty tasting toxic substances to keep doufuses from drinking it. Defore being denatured, it is 190 proof grain alcohol, aka Everclear. IF you use alcohol (I wouldn't), Everclear is the stuff to use.

LOL, that is a possible use for the nearly full bottle of Everclear I have had sitting for about 25 years, or should I sell it as "well aged" [:P]

I would imagine that lanolin found in "rubbing" alcohol could really gum things up. Lanolin is a skin conditioner and keeps the skin from drying out during a body rub. I was once told to find an old fashioned pharmacy and ask the pharmacist for some realitivly pure alcohol (97%).

That being said you may want to reread what Marty said.

How about just triple distilled water and a steam unit?

The steam works great. Occasionally I will have a record with some noise after steaming. The solution that I mixed seems to help with that last bit and I only use it after steaming and then listening.

That said, if Marty is right, I want to discontinue use, but what to use? I need a formula.

A great local record store owner and I had a good talk about what to use. But spending $40+ for a 3oz bottle is a waste. Local record store owner mixes up is own solution and when I used it on Lps that I thought were clean I was amazed. A 20Fl oz bottle was $9.00. Maybe that might be the best bet for some of you?

Is that my favorite Record Store in Salt Lake? If so I will have to ask next time I an in town. Last time I was there he had the old Disc Doctor wood things and he can order VPI machines (which I do not really like).