Best Gear Change of '08

thebes

Beginning 2008, I was sitting pretty having eliminated tweeters from my Klipschorns, after having gone to new Altec 902 drivers with my Trachorns, and having taken the Klipschorns active.

But, there was still more work to do. In 2008, I experimented with various solutions to solving the Khorn bass/midbass problem (ragged response above 250 hz and needing more kick), including incorporating JBL 2118 drivers with the Khorns. On a fluke, I found my solution. I now use Forte bass drivers (and cabinets) for the bass/mid-bass of my Klipschorns covering from 300 hz to 800 hz - run by a monster vintage Crown amp. The upgrade was substantial as was that gear change......

Another notable gear change brought finality to the top end of my Klipschorns. After experimenting with many solid state and tube amps with my 902s, I stopped when I heard a Sonic Super T chip amp run by an upgraded power supply (the Kingrex stand alone PSU). Great amp for horns' top end.

I also finally decided to keep my fantastic NOSValves VRDs on my modded rear Belles, especially since they carry so much water along with the Khorns up front - when listening to music.

2008. Great year for finalizing some things, gear-wise.

Carl.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL - That was my EXACT thought . . .

I also thought, if that is what he did to the bass module; what must those little acoustimess modules look like. Just a thought -he is living in one, and rents out the other four?

K

Actually, that speaker I was working on went into my sons minivan! (True story).

It was a year for very subtle changes.

1. I changed out the Blueberry for a Conrad Johnson 12B preamp.

In 2010 perhaps I will be able to do the Blueberry with Cream. The CJ was all 12AX7 Mullards for tube complement so the deal was quite a value. Not a huge change just slightly different.

2. Panasonic RP-91 DVD-A player as cd transport.

Pretty nice realism and soundstage depth improvement.

Did not do much in the equipment upgrade replacement category (actually I did not replace or upgrade any equipment in 08, I thought about it but did not pull the trigger) I did acquire a set of Custom 3's and am extremely pleased with them. Makes my portable listening a lot more enjoyable.

EDIT: Ooops I did make a small change in 08. I swapped out my Sony CD/Tape/Radio boom box for and iGroove SXT in my office at work. Big improvement in the tunage in my office now.

For me it was a busy year: Almost got rid of my VRD's, glad I didn't, but the best change probably has to be getting my Marantz SA 8001. This year I think I am going to go to a music server of sorts: Wadia 170i, 120G ipod loaded using apple lossless and a PS audio DAC. I had multiple other changes (Tannoy System 15's) Sony BDP 550, Denon 3808ci and Emotive XPA-3.

I made a few changes this year, probably more than I could justify to the financial planner:

- added a pair of Heresy IIs, in place of a pair Paradigm outdoor speakers for rears in the HT.

- swapped out a Definitive Technology CLR for a single La Scalla for centre channel duties.

- moved a Denon DVD player to strictly movie playback and added a Jolida JD-100A for music playback.

- replace a Jolida JD-300B integrated with a JM Peach II and a pair of Welborne DRD 45 amps.

BUT BY FAR

the best gear change I did was change the location of my KHorns, from the short wall, to the long wall.

As much as I love the new electronics (specially the Welbornes), moving the speakers to the long wall
and having them 20' apart vs. 15' by far made the biggest improvement to the way my system sounds!

It was a great year for me. Not sure what was bigger though in '08, getting my 3rd pair of RF-7s or adding 2 new amps, the Emotiva XPA-2 and XPA-5. I think it was the amps, they seem to have made the biggest impact on my system.

First it was the Sonicap's for my cornwalls, thanks Bob.

Than I swaped My CJ mv55 for the BAT VK60 - WOW

Hey Joessporster, looking forward to your list in this thread, of course it will take an hour to read it with all the gear you go thru per year [;)] Keep on trading Joe we love your reports.

Thanks to all you other klipsch brothers for another great year of sharing.

Cornman

Cornman