Listening

Steve_L

I'm wondering about many of your listening skills and habits. We spend so much time and energy talking about the equipment, way too much in my opinion, less but some about the music, and then very little about how we listen.

I've noticed that my listening habits have changed over the years, from my single and then married childless years, to my mid life "with kids" years, and now back to my empty nest years. When I was young, I started my music collection when I was a sophmore in high school and it hasn't stopped, but I would wear records out. Play them over and over, know them by heart, listen to them intently and pick up on new nuances in the music as I listened. Some of that may have been just that I couldn't afford much music, and some was that I didn't have broad musical interest, but there may have been good pieces of that too.

When I was in my mid-years and the kids were always around, the stereo was there and on, but of course, kids keep you busy and the ability to just sit and listen wasn't really there. I maybe did more listening in my car. I would still buy albums, and then later CDs, but I would tape them to cassette and listen in my car during my 1 hour and 20 minutes comute each day back and forth to Boston from way out in the suburbs. (yeah.. that sucked.) But at least I got some time to listen, but I didn't have a audiophile's car either, and it wasn't the best for sure.

Now, I've got a very nice system again. Not near as nice as all of the wild stuff you guys have, but it works for me. I also have more time for me, as it's just me and the wife. I've got much broader tastes in music now, but still not as broad as some of yours. Jazz, rock, blues, folk, but not much classical. No opera. No metal.

I love listening in the early/mid evening. The time after the news and before 9:00PM. The wife and I may listen to 2 or three jazz CDs or albums from my collection and we'll talk a bit. The music won't be very loud, but louder than back ground music for sure. You could talk over it but maybe have to do that a bit louder than you'd like. Definitely not background music. I'll usually keep a few CDs out for more than one playing, and she'll comment or I will on one song or one CD or another. I might also be reading, or browsing the web, but I've been doing less of that lately and just listening again. Buying some of the stuff I see you guys have that sparks my interest. Or pulling out something I also have, but haven't listened to in a while but you reminded me. The Just Right Now thread is costing me money.

I listen to an album two or three times over the period of a week. I find it really helps me hear the artist and the album as a work of art better. But I'm not intently listening, as much as casually listening. Sometimes I'll have a friend or two over that really love music and we'll either watch a DVD concert, or listen to some music at louder volumes. That's always fun. Then some times I make a night of it, and have a few friends over, steaks, baked potatoes, tomatoes and onions and cheesecake for dessert and some great music afterwards cranked up loud. AKA Oldbuckster style. That's always a great time.

But, I'd be interested in picking up listening skills from you guys to get more enjoyment out of the music. Any ideas, things you've learned? Rituals of habits that you enjoy while listening? Things not to do? After all, the gear and the music is great, but the end game is what we get from it. At least I think thats the end game? How about you?

I like listening to music at night. It just seems that my system sounds better during that time. I think part of it is that I'm more relaxed and open to it. Even on a day off, I find that during the day, my mind just won't let me enjoy the experience the same way.

I like to listen alone, and I always sit in the same chair. The door is shut, and if it had a lock, I'd lock it. I listen intently, usually with my eyes closed. I like to (actually need to) be able to control the volume and the CD player with a remote.

My music choices have changed over the years as I've gotten more seriously into listening to the quality of the whole system. I'd say I listen to music 50% for the sound and 50% for the music.

The volume and impact has to be enough so I feel like I'm at a live event. This alone is why my wife will not join me in my pursuits. I'm not talking about Van Halen volume, just like at a nightclub enjoying a jazz quartet or a blues band.

Greg

The volume and impact has to be enough so I feel like I'm at a live event. This alone is why my wife will not join me in my pursuits. I'm not talking about Van Halen volume, just like at a nightclub enjoying a jazz quartet or a blues band.

I SOOOOOOO agree with that!

It's gotta sound SNAPPY!

post-15072-13819437884526_thumb.gif

That's half the reason I listen to the stuff I do. In my cd player right now is Stevie Wonders greatest hits, Lionel Richie's hits, Phil Collins hits, Genesis hits, and some Journey. I just love music with live bands playing instead of modern day stuff that's all done on a computer................

Me three......too loud for the wife....not loud enough for me. I reserve Saturday afternoon for myself closing the music room doors and cranking it up a bit. Sometimes bluesboy comes by and I'll cook some wings and have a few Maker's Mark on the rocks and play some Miles or Dylan or John Lee Hooker.

My ritual is every Sunday morning I give my second system starring a 1962 HK tubed reciever some play time just to blow the cob webs out. I swear its a sweet little instrument.

Anyway thats enough about me.....what do you other guys think?

Great Topic Steve!

Listening! I sometimes forget that’s the goal! Duhoooo!!!!

Years ago, someone posted this on one of the HT forums I

belong to:

Audiophile: One who listens to the stereo rather than the music.

That has stuck with

me over the years. Sometimes we get so

wrapped up into the “gear” we forget to listen to the Music. Don’t get me wrong, I still get wrapped up in

the gear and now I allow time for that.

But when it is time to enjoy the music, I just forget all about the

gear. But it takes practice!

My “best” listening

happens when I am alone, like Greg said, “The door is shut, and if it

had a lock, I'd lock it”. Well, I live

alone so I don’t need a lock or a door for that matter. I just

turn out all the lights, get a tasty beverage and sit in “my” chair and get

lost in the music, sometime for a few minutes, on a good day/evening I can get

lost for hours. I do this 5, sometimes 6

nights a week right before bed. A great

way to relax before bedtime.

It is best when I can turn my brain off completely. I still find myself analyzing the

soundstage, then wondering if I need to move the right speaker a little, or

change amps and so on, then realize I am not LISTENING to the music

anymore.

Changing genres for me, helps a lot. For most of my life, I mostly listened to the

same genre, rock, maybe a little country thrown in for a change. Now, that I am older and appreciate different

genres, it is a great way for me to remember to “listen”.

For example, I have

only listened to Jazz for a couple of years now and I tend to want to just

listen, hear something I have never heard before.

Take Miles Davis for example, I just acquired my first Miles

Davis CD this week, “Kind of Blue”. I

have never owned any "Miles" before. (Hey,

better late than never) I have put

it in the player a couple of times for background music, usually when company

is over. In the next day or two, it will

be the one I listen too with the lights out, before bed.

Putting something in the player I am unfamiliar with is one

of the best ways for my brain to shut off.

The first time I put Roberta Flack’s “first take” album on the turntable,

I was in a listening mood and the lights were out, I just fell in love with

it. I knew very little of her and had no

expectations. Now I have 4 of her albums

in regular rotation.

The volume has to be up enough to create the “Soundstage”. Usually 70db to 80db is ideal. Depending on the artist it can get to the ear

bleeding levels! I listened to Ted

Nugent a while back and the dog disappeared out the dog door, faster than a

speeding bullet! LOL But that is not the norm!

It's all about the music!

Dennie

If I am trying to get any work done in thehouse, I usually have on some symphonic music. There are no words to hold me back or interrupt my train of thought. I'll have the LS cranked up. If I sit down toreally listen, for the symphonic music I like it to be the volume I hear at a concert. Since I always have sat farther back, it isn't too loud. Contemporary music is louder.I can get lost in the music almost every time. So much so that I fall asleep pretty often.

Listen to symphonic/classical, jazz, some country, bluegrass, lesser known acts... 90 db would be getting up there for me, although I've listened at louder volumes.

I have the house to myself, and the main system is in the living room. I have some Heresies and an HK430 in the bedroom, but don't have it on a lot. That's where my PC is, so the music I listen to there has a 100wpc amp and Alesis nearfields on it.

Bruce

I have big speakers for a reason. I listen to music just a little lower volume than a live performance at a small night club. I don't crank it up, just turn it up some. I don't overly push the speakers, just get them going some. You'll have to speak up some to be heard. I've listened to a lot of live music during my life and enjoy live best, but a good stereo can be a good second. I like to also feel the impact of the music like you do when listening to a live performance. Large speakers do this with less effort than smaller ones. I find the Klipschorns do this very well and with ease. You don't have to turn Klipschorns up much to get them to excite a room. I listen to music at different times each day, but usually everyday or evening for at least an hour or two. I'm into music and have a good quality stereo for that reason. It's about the music for me and not the stereo. I enjoy music on a boom box, walkman, table top radio, etc, but a good stereo can give you more of it. I listen to music on my stereo mostly by myself, but enjoy sharing with friends too. Either they and or I are getting new music regularly. I have a large music collection as they do too. They come to my house when they really want to hear it.

I don't think I have any special listening "skills", but I do like to practice a lot![:D]

I listen to a lot of different styles of music. Mostly rock, jazz and country, but more "classical", too, as I get older.

Volume can be from barely there, background levels for going to sleep, all the way up to shake the rafters loud when the wife and young'uns are out of the house. But I hardly ever listen at levels that are so loud I can't hear my own normal speaking voice over the music, so I guess my idea of "rafter shaking" might be more tame than others. I just don't want to harm my hearing more than it already has been from years of farm and industrial noise, plus all the hours spent at concerts, movies and in front of stereos. My favorite listening scenario is a good sounding recording of good music turned up just enough to sound full and to get your attention. Good music always draws me in. I am NOT a passive listener! (unless my intent is to drift off to sleepyville) Also, the house needs to be empty, because my "A" system is in an open, family room type area of the house, and prime listening can only be achieved when background noise is low and volume is unrestricted.

Most of my music listening is done solo. We have enough room for the family to spead out all over the house, so the typical evening at home finds my big, dumb arse listening to 2-channel music in the family room or watching TV in the media room while the wife is upstairs watching the tube with the two youngest in the living room. My oldest son is usually locked in his bedroom doing whatever it is that 15 yr. old boys do these days.[^o)] We do have family movie nights, where we all gather in the media room for a...family movie.

I also listen to music in the media room. Mostly when I want more volume than might be considered family-friendly at the given time, or if I want multi-channel. But most quality music listening time, by far is with the La Scala II's in the 2-channel rig. Ah![H]

"Audiophile: One who listens to the stereo rather than the music."

That's nonsense if you think it through -- how do you listen to the gear without listening to the music? An audiophile is just a person who notices what the gear is doing (or not doing) to the music. An audiophile is engaged with the music at a level where they notice and hear the unique sonic signature each piece of gear imprints on the music they like to listen to. It's the intense participation with the music that allows them to notice the differences. Passive listeners who "like to listen to music" rarely if ever never notice any of this. An audiophile wants a realistic reproduction, a passive listener just wants reproduction. My wife for example says if you really love music it doesn't matter much what you listen to it with -- she's quite content to listen with a crappy Sony boombox. Whether they want to admit it or not -- everyone here is "an audiophile". Actually caring about how your music sounds and doing something about it is the only prerequisite. Some of us are "gearheads", and there are two classes of that I think. The first class is comprised of those who have a bad case of audionervosa and are never quite happy with what they have. The second class is made up of those who just enjoy the variety of different ways the music can be presented. Both are "audiophiles", but the former should be shot and put out their misery -- but I suppose we should hold off until they get a chance to try the 24 karat gold plated fuses.

I like listening to music at night. It just seems that my system sounds better during that time. I think part of it is that I'm more relaxed and open to it. Even on a day off, I find that during the day, my mind just won't let me enjoy the experience the same way.

Right on. [:D]

"Audiophile: One who listens to the stereo rather than the music."

That's nonsense if you think it through -- how do you listen to the gear without listening to the music? An audiophile is just a person who notices what the gear is doing (or not doing) to the music. An audiophile is engaged with the music at a level where they notice and hear the unique sonic signature each piece of gear imprints on the music they like to listen to. It's the intense participation with the music that allows them to notice the differences. Passive listeners who "like to listen to music" rarely if ever never notice any of this. An audiophile wants a realistic reproduction, a passive listener just wants reproduction. My wife for example says if you really love music it doesn't matter much what you listen to it with -- she's quite content to listen with a crappy Sony boombox. Whether they want to admit it or not -- everyone here is "an audiophile". Actually caring about how your music sounds and doing something about it is the only prerequisite. Some of us are "gearheads", and there are two classes of that I think. The first class is comprised of those who have a bad case of audionervosa and are never quite happy with what they have. The second class is made up of those who just enjoy the variety of different ways the music can be presented. Both are "audiophiles", but the former should be shot and put out their misery -- but I suppose we should hold off until they get a chance to try the 24 karat gold plated fuses.

>>> "Audiophile: One who listens to the stereo rather than the music."

I think there's more than a little tongue in cheek in this statement. But that's really what it's good for, to knock us off that "gearhead" syndrome when we get on it. I catch myself all the time, while really enjoying the music, looking around the room and thinking "gee, I wonder if I replaces X with Y and added Z what it would sound like."

Guitar players sometimes talk about having "GAS" Guitar Acquistion Syndrome. I think audiophiles can get it too. My other hobbies are similar and all seem to bring a certain amount of GAS to the table, in my case motorcycling and owning multiple motorcycles, and photography and cameras and lenses.. talk about a money pit of gear that can be!! Yikes!

Dean I agree with you about the "audionervosa" thing too.. the never ending elusive chase for perfection. Never being satisfied, always one step away from the perfect set up. Pure addiction is what it becomes. I have friends that chase horsepower in motorcycles that way.. always changing and fidling with the engines and the tune.. thousands upon thousands of dollars.. until the bike becomes so unreliable it is breaking down constantly, then they get a new one and then the whole cycle starts again. ...insanity.. more money, new gear, more upgrades.

Finally though, we have this quality audio system, and we listen to the music and getting the most out of the experience is what I am looking to achieve. Just like with GAS, I think sometimes I buy too much music. Is there such a thing? Or maybe it's really I don't listen to it well enough, either closely enough, or intently enough, or enough times, etc.. to really get the most out of it.

Although lately, I have been really enjoying the music more. I've been listening to a short list of albums/CDs/DVDs, and really getting into them a bit deeper, before just putting them away for a while. Especiually new music. I find I need to listen a few times, maybe 5 or more times before I really get to "know" and enjoy the music. Am I alone in that? Does that make any sense?

Been great reading the responses to this thread!

It's a routine for me, deeply embedded in habit. Listening revolves around what I'm doing, or what day of the week it is, etc. and where I'm doing the listening.

The morning just does not go right unless I hear the news and news discussions on NPR. Unfortunately, during the week it is via the truck radio on the way, and a boombox in the office. Muzak, I suppose. On the weekends, unless I'm at work or in the workshop, it's the same routine, but in the man cave with one of the amps and one of the Klipsch speaker pairs, hot cup of coffee as I clean up the kitchen, check out the Forum, etc., etc. In the mornings, either way, I really like classical music.

The afternoons are also a product of habit. I always like to sit down at the end of the "duty day" which for me is about 3:00 PM to about 5:00 PM and listen to some tune, artist, etc. that during the day somehow popped into my mind. A nice cold beer, couple LP's or CD's, etc., crank it up just a bit, get dinner ready or prepped to start, get the kids & homework sarted in their rooms, chores, etc.

In the evenings, after supper, etc. Watch a movie or a serial show (lately like CSI: Miami) in the living room with an AVR and the Cornwalls. Promptly at 9:00 PM, kids in bed.

On Saturday afternoons (unless I'm busy with other "stuff") or in the evening, it's man cave with the wall of voodoo, and whatever sounds right. On Sunday morning, it's the man cave NPR or classical. Sunday afternoons, it's generally out into the living room for a movie, or sometimes in my wife's "wall of boudoir" to watch a movie.

While on active duty, my apartment was always the "man cave". After active duty, college, and getting married to the love of my life...., we could not afford a "man cave", so "listening" to anything after work became problematic, especially when "competing" with SWMBO watching soap stuff, kids, etc. The best thing I ever did was build the room for the wall of voodoo. I find myself listening to things that I had not heard for 30+ years and the nostalgia effect is very rewarding.

Enjoying music, in a way and for me, I guess is related to the delivery within what I'm doing, and the ambience and setting. More busy? News, etc. Less busy? Classical. Plenty of time, the day is over, etc. Vintage rock.

I do agree with Greg. For some reason, music in the evenings or at night is more enjoyable. It soothes the savage beast as the old saying goes.

I can't say enough about how much I enjoy my system, both the privilige of owning it and the pleasure of listening. Its a tremendous piece of technical achievement that is also a work of art.

I listen as much as I can. I enjoy HT, music, and just plain old TV...mostly Discovery and HD Theater...a little football as well. I could go on about the pleasure it gives me but I've made my point.

The forum is great. Its great to share ideas with people who also enjoy Klipsh and to learn from them. I also have a fine wife who supports my avocation. All things hard to live with in the world notwithstanding, my Klipsch system makes me happy.

My father played the viola in the National Symphony in DC for 40 years. His day began with classical music and I used to lie in bed listening to Bach, Beethoven and Brahms. I have since adopted his morning habit. I have speakers all over the house and the first thing I want to hear in the morning is classical. I used to live with a gal and the first thing she turned on was the Regis and kathy Lee........it drove me absolutley batshit!

As the day progresses I am all over the map musically. About the only thing I don't listen to is Mainline (CMT type) contry and ©rap. Lots of blues, jazz and when I want to annoy the neighbors plain old fashioned R&R. I'll get on a kick for a few days and then move on to something else. I get bored listening to the same thing and love to stumble across stuff I've never heard of before.

The great thing about new speakers is hearing new sounds in old tunes. I love my Klipsch!

Listening is either active or passive. Passive listening is done during chores or other household tasks like working in the garage or doing yard work or putzing with fishing gear. It is pretty inconsequential on details and merely filler for silence. I actually prefer silence over passive listening like while driving to/from work.

Active listening is the immersion into and the absorbtion of - the music. This requires solitude for me, typically darkness with little ambient light, and a comfortable seat. My most memorable active listening moments were at the passing of a close friend or family member. It is during these times that I am most acutely aware of the notes/delivery and embrace the emotion of the message. I suppose it would be accurate to say, this is when I am the most sensitive. Aside from these specific occurences, active listening is most enjoyed alone, late evening, seated in the sweet spot, with a beverage of choice.

Passive listening is generally Doo ***, Rock or Country with "oldies" (50's/60's) being my go to standby. Active listening is most commonly some from of Jazz/New Age with artists like 3rd Force, Govi, Jesse Cook, Chris Spheres, Craig Chaquicao, Diana Krall, Mindy Abair, etc. with the occasional contemporaries of Clannad, Michael Bolton, Annie Lennex, etc thrown in. I find active listening to be a very personal time.

There is one lone exception to the above - and it occurs each fall. My wife and I really enjoy cruising Gulf Blvd between Indian Rocks and St. Petes beach with the top open and homemade best of CD's playing on the car strereo. The Gulf breeze and great tunes with the one I love, is pretty special.

I rarely have anything on at all (shock), usually it's the same Glenn Hughes or Deep Purple CD all week just grinding away in the player. Never FM. Rarely LP. Honestly. I can't afford CATV so probably watch far too much Simpsons and Seinfeld than I should. I live alone and could play whatever I want as loud as I want but usually I sit in silence here. I know you guys probably think that more than a bid odd considering my collection but that's the truth of the matter.

Good to hear you fellas enjoying your systems. I probably spend more time dusting my stuff or chatting about it than listening to it, but I'm not a well man. I'm not allowed a beverage of choice so that may cut down on enjoyment. In my 20's and 30's there was always music in my life. As I get older I just enjoy silence. Is that wrong?

Except this week I got thinking about Jeff Beck for some reason. I'd acquired a Best hits on CD a while back, and remembering that I had Truth/BeckOla and Wired on LP, actually dusted off the Technics and played a few sides. You can't walk away from an LP for long, so I found myself glued to my seat, standard stereo mode on, listening intently and fairly well relaxing and enjoying it. It's always over too soon with LP's and I was glad for the auto-return feature of the SL1700 direct drive as I fell asleep mid-lp more than once.

Once I get the Sansui finally operational, it'll be interesting to try out the MMF5 I got from Cullison and to fiddle with the 'twice it's weight' Thorens TD125MkII. I have probably 600+ LP's here including boxes I've never sorted through compliments of GaryMD and others. Any idea how to go about that tedious procedure of keep em/give em away/***** em?

Most of the time I listen quieter than you can ever imagine. I can
usually hear the phone ring and when friends drop by I don't have to
turn it down to converse. Only occasionally do I really turn up the
wick, unless I'm in the shop, in which case I have a bad case of 'fader
creep' and have to puposely go about turning it down from time to time.
KP301's with a Crown PS200 will do some damage if left on 'full tilt
boogie' mode.

M

It has been an Interesting Month listening wise for me. I sold my house and downsized. In the Morning I turn on a small CD/AM/FM Player to NPR for the Classical Music. I find this has been very relaxing, and I look forward too this each Morning............

The Only downside is on the Weekends when NPR plays their Weird (to me) programs like Sess Who , or the Radio Book Reader..........

But it has brought me comfort until I can get a new system established.................(depending on future house size). [H]