Bottled Water

Tarheel

This months Stereophile mag has an article by Michael Fremer who reports that Aquafina bottled water is purified by reverse osmosis and "thus is very pure". There is a link to click on to see why Aquafina should make a great and inexpensive record rinse!

• Moderators

Reverse Osmosis is very pure water, but I believe it still has the minerals, Distilled I believe has no minerals. It's cheap enough by the gallon, it's also very good for cloths irons or anything where you don't want the mineral deposits to build up.

I could be wrong, that seems to happen alot !

However you get there, the bottom line is always TDS (total dissolved solid). Properly implemented, RO, DI and distillation will get you there. In my business I need to generate lots of pure water. Here, with my local water, in my quantities, it's cheapest with DI. For others in my business it's RO + DI. To buy bottled, distilled seems to be the cheapest and it's reliably pure.

Aquafina? Sounds better??? Gimme a break. Water is water is water is water.

We have a DI filtration system here at work that filters the water to 18 Mohms (laboratory quality), but we still use Distilled for building our liquid test kits, because of it's purity. Go w/ Distilled, it's cheap, pure, and readily available.

Just how cheap are we talking about? With Distilled, you do have to heat up the liquid to a certain temperature, which in my mind would take up alot of electricity. At a local store, they sell R/O water as low as .12 cents a litre. Is distilled cheaper than that???

READ the lables on the water bottles in the store. A LOT of the "drinking" water is RO filtered and is $.99 per gallon. I need to really watch the lables on purchased water for my old espresso machine. It COULD NOT use RO or Distllled water as it is "too pure" and the auto fill system would not work. The system functioned by passing a small electric charge through the water tank between two probes. If the water was too pure, it would not pass electric curent, thus if I used water that was either RO or Distilled, no electricty would pass and the machine woud shut off as it "thought" it was out of water. Many of the bottles of inexpensive drinking water are, in fact, RO filtered, look at the mice type on the bottle, you will be supprised.

Just how cheap are we talking about? With Distilled, you do have to heat up the liquid to a certain temperature, which in my mind would take up alot of electricity. At a local store, they sell R/O water as low as .12 cents a litre. Is distilled cheaper than that???

That temp is boiling as distilled water is boiled and the vapor is then cooled (distilled) and returned to liquid.

I don't know what's cheap for distilled water, but looked quickly on
the web and found a case of 6 gallons for $8.25, so 0.36 cents per
liter. You might be able to find a better price locally.

Cal brought up an interesting point about his espresso machine that made me think of an unrelated, but relevant issue; Pure water has a lot of surface tension and may not flow to the vinyl surface readily, so wouldn't be that good of a cleaner. Some type of benign wetting agent would help matters, although I'm not sure what would work best. Some type of vinyl friendly detergent would do the trick.