I have been informed . . .

greg928gts

No, no, no..... you do not need to forgo wheat based carbs for a good diet. In fact it is my experience that they are actually best for a good diet, but you need to eat them gluten free. Okay, you can find both gluten free breads and pasta. They taste the same. They cook the same. They do NOT fill up the system the same, they do a better job of allowing all the food you eat get absorbed, so that you eat less overall. The theory is this.... The gluten in breads block the guts absorption of nutrition. The result is that we eat but not feel full because we did not get all the nutrition from the food put into our body. So we eat more which sets us up to eat more, more often and in larger portions. It precipitates overeating and reinforces overeating habits. If you remove the gluten intake the gut does absorb nutrients. You feel full eating less volume and fewer calories. That promotes eating less and develops habits of making less food, etc. Now not eating any carbs means you will just eat some other form of calories. If you eat gluten free products you do not get the bad and you feel full eating a lot less because they give you a sizable fill in a single meal. Seriously, I can get by on a single sandwich a day and some fruit. I feel great and I am losing weight... slowly and safely.... and in a way that is enjoyable..... that I do not dread nor am anxious to 'end' and get back to eating the way I used to. It is sustainable weight loss and a genuine lifestyle change that is easy to accept cuz you're NOT hungry all the freaking time. Check out gluten free diets.

When I got into weighlifting in the 1980's I bought a book by Arnold Schwartzenegger (Spelling?). As far as diet, the advice was very sort. You already know what to eat and what not to eat. Fruit, veggies, grains, meats, etc. All good for you.

Try this. Cook with little oil and don't eat any junk. Stop eating before you feel full and you will feel full in about 10 to 15 minutes. Eat small meals throughout the day. And lok at the portions in reasturants. They are huge and way more than you should eat at any one sitting.

Lastly, your diet should not be temporary, it should be a way of life. I changed my diet drastically at about age 25 or 26. Cut out all the crap and cook with a little oil. I eat a lot of rice, broiled chicken, broiled pork and steaks, fruit, veggies, beans, yogurt, cereals, bread, cheese, and low calorie frozen deserts for when I am hungary at night. I avoid heavy sauces and season food with spices and a little olive oil. At age 40 I am 180 lbs and 6'1". It works and does not take very much effort once you are used to it.

My wife's undergrad degree is in heath science which is a mixture of nutrition clases and sports medicine classes. I have eaten this was since before I met her but I defer to her on the science of this. She said that the low carb diets cause you to go into a starvation mode and metabolize muscle mass. Bad stuff. Fad diets are bad for you. There was also another case where a vegitarian's body would not accept skin grafts. They started feeding him meat in his diet and after a few weeks the skin grafts started working again. No offense to vegitarians.

Eat a normal healthy diet and try to exercise regularly, but don't feel bad if you cannot always do so, even for extended periods.

One las tthing about the low carb stuff. After any intense exercise, it feels so good to eat a plate of chicken and rice. The carbs give you back energy so that you feel good instead of falling asleep. Keep this in mind and good luck to you.[8-|]

A box showed up in the mail yesterday. It contained books, dvd's, cards, and paperwork. Something my wife ordered - something like "Six Week Body Makeover"? I don't know, I haven't paid much attention. Bless her, she's been trying all kinds of stuff, and diligently exercising, much more than I ever would want to, but she's frustrated.

This is not for me, although I think I heard something about how it is not just made for women being muttered last night. This morning I was informed about the bread and pasta thing.

She didn't mention Funny Bones though. I have a stash.

Greg

I have done the Atkin's Diet more times than I can count. Always a good diet for me to lose 10 pounds in two weeks. At 6'1" and 190, 10 pounds will get me where I need to be. On the third to fourth day when the glycogen burns off you get an incredible burst of energy. Still it would be good never to have to diet again.

• Moderators

I really never meant that to be mean I really didn't.

If I did everything my wife wanted I would probably be in great shape and look 10 years younger !

Instead I do all the cooking and I am overweight and take blood pressure medicine, but I am going to cure all of that I made a salad tonight.

Instead I do all the cooking and I am overweight and take blood pressure medicine, but I am going to cure all of that I made a salad tonight.

DTEL, I tried to do what was right last night and had a big salad. It was good; but, i blew it by following it up with an italian sausage sandwich.

"She said that the low carb diets cause you to go into a starvation mode and metabolize muscle mass. "

Only if you don't eat enough protein. Atkins suggests you use Ketostix to check for this. I could lose 14lbs a month without any color change.

Most people have NO IDEA what the Atkins diet really is, especially so called 'health care professionals'.

If you take the time to READ one of the Atkins books, you will find out:

The induction phase is what most people think the Atkins diet is (which is wrong).

If the so called 'health care professional' cannot explain the difference between Atkins, the ZONE, and the South Beach diets, find another so called 'health care professional'.

• Moderators

DTEL, I tried to do what was right last night and had a big salad. It was good; but, i blew it by following it up with an italian sausage sandwich.

I just love food and cooking, I kind of started working out again, the more I do it regularly the easier it is to eat a little less, it's my only hope.

i don't know whats been going on, for the last couple of weeks I have been craving sour stuff, like vinegar or pickles with salt and pepper I don't know why.

When I got into weighlifting in the 1980's I bought a book by Arnold Schwartzenegger (Spelling?). As far as diet, the advice was very sort. You already know what to eat and what not to eat. Fruit, veggies, grains, meats, etc. All good for you.

Try this. Cook with little oil and don't eat any junk. Stop eating before you feel full and you will feel full in about 10 to 15 minutes. Eat small meals throughout the day. And lok at the portions in reasturants. They are huge and way more than you should eat at any one sitting.

Lastly, your diet should not be temporary, it should be a way of life. I changed my diet drastically at about age 25 or 26. Cut out all the crap and cook with a little oil. I eat a lot of rice, broiled chicken, broiled pork and steaks, fruit, veggies, beans, yogurt, cereals, bread, cheese, and low calorie frozen deserts for when I am hungary at night. I avoid heavy sauces and season food with spices and a little olive oil. At age 40 I am 180 lbs and 6'1". It works and does not take very much effort once you are used to it.

My wife's undergrad degree is in heath science which is a mixture of nutrition clases and sports medicine classes. I have eaten this was since before I met her but I defer to her on the science of this. She said that the low carb diets cause you to go into a starvation mode and metabolize muscle mass. Bad stuff. Fad diets are bad for you. There was also another case where a vegitarian's body would not accept skin grafts. They started feeding him meat in his diet and after a few weeks the skin grafts started working again. No offense to vegitarians.

Eat a normal healthy diet and try to exercise regularly, but don't feel bad if you cannot always do so, even for extended periods.

One las tthing about the low carb stuff. After any intense exercise, it feels so good to eat a plate of chicken and rice. The carbs give you back energy so that you feel good instead of falling asleep. Keep this in mind and good luck to you.Geeked

Very similar; almost 60 (few months to go); 6'1", 185; afternoon snack of fresh sliced tomatoes and black olives; otherwise broiled or baked lean meat, fresh steamed vegetables, and..... NO fast food. Last time I had a McD's type burger was.... I forget. While it would appear that I love beer (and I do like beer), anything past one beer every other day has pretty much become a seldom seen occassion. I will, however, do my duty and attempt to clean out all that bad beer in dtel's fridge on our next trip to LR!!! LOL [Y][H]

I just love food and cooking, I kind of started working out again, the more I do it regularly the easier it is to eat a little less, it's my only hope.

i don't know whats been going on, for the last couple of weeks I have been craving sour stuff, like vinegar or pickles with salt and pepper I don't know why.

You're pregnant! [Y]

South Beach really worked for me. I lost 50lbs in about 7 months. The majority of it in the first two. The other successful diet I did was running 3 - 6 miles 4 times a week and cut out white breads, flour based pastas, no sweets, no beer, and cut portions down in size. Both worked well but the hardest part is changing your attitude and habits. The biggest problem for me is making it a longterm lifestyle change which means I still need to go back on one of these diets soon. Without that extra 50lbs I slept better and felt better mentally and physically. It is well worth the effort.

You're pregnant! BeerYes

fini,

Thanks, I needed that ;-)

Will