Holy dust bunnies batman

The Dude

So once upon a time and last night I was listening to some records. Then all of a sudden both times the sound got what sounded distorted and fuzzy. So like before I would turn the turntable off and resort to the tuner. Then earlier today I sat down to see if it would do it again, then what do you know a huge freakin dust bunny on the needle. I gave it a quick blow and boo ya back to that wonderful sound. Even though I put the dust cover on after I am done listening is there any other way to stop this from happening or is this quite common. If so then how do you all go about cleaning your needle.

thanks

duder

If it picks it up dust with the cover on then the dust particles were on the LP, likely embedded in the grooves. Many threads written on record cleaning......

For the ocassional bunnie, I turn the amps and TT off and use a soft sponge covered with a very fine weaved cloth and wettened with a cleaning solution. I lift up against the needle, without moving it sideways, etc and usually all the grit, grime, etc comes off. About once a year, I remove the needle itself and clean it with a spray and a very soft toothbrush. Woks for me and has done so for many years.

Mr.Clean Magic Eraser believe it or not.

A small cube, lower the stylus into it gently, a few times and then gently blow on it.[;)]

I have done before and after under the scope and it does better than anything I have ever used or sold.

Only people who bad mouth and create rumors of damage, are the ones who have something to lose, like me, who no longer can justify selling $50 for a tiny bottle Nagaoka fluid, once people find out how well it works.

Careful with any fluid, especially alcohol based, as it can loosen the glue bonding the stylus to the cantilever or if it runs down the cantilever, dry out the rubber suspension.

Mr.Clean Magic Eraser believe it or not.

A small cube, lower the stylus into it gently, a few times and then gently blow on it.Wink

I have done before and after under the scope and it does better than anything I have ever used or sold.

Only people who bad mouth and create rumors of damage, are the ones who have something to lose, like me, who no longer can justify selling $50 for a tiny bottle Nagaoka fluid, once people find out how well it works.

Careful with any fluid, especially alcohol based, as it can loosen the glue bonding the stylus to the cantilever or if it runs down the cantilever, dry out the rubber suspension.

tres cool Bill. Gotta try that one!

Yup, the greatest enemy of lps is dust and dirt. Makes for noise and applied liberally can ruin the record. Needles, tables, the air, your cat, the funny kid from Peanuts, a smoking habit, the Sahara, all contribute so concoct a in depth, multi-layered strategy to deal with it. Lps are worth it.

I second the Zerodust recommendation. I've been using it for almost 10 years and its held up well. It's made of some viscous gob of goo that pulls the dust and dirt off the needle very effectively - no liquid to interact with the stylus. When it gets dirty enough (every 70 uses or so), its easily cleaned with a quick wipe of mild soap and water. It should last a lifetime and the fellow at Sorosound, Mehran is a great guy and very helpful with all things vinyl. Have fun.

post-3360-13819511417492_thumb.jpg

I also find the Zerodust works very well. It's effective and easy to use. That Magic Eraser tip might be worth trying, too.

Some used records are just plain dirty. I've washed just-bought used records and noticed actual brown soil running off them, so used records that don't look spotless really need to be cleaned before playing them.

I'm with oldtimer, I use an old school-style brush with a drop of Groovy Stylus Cleaner. Bought both in a kit from NeedleDoctor.com for $10. It seems to last longer than the old Stanton stuff I had and provides less surface noise than the other fluids or none at all.