Chicago dilemma

Whyers

howdy folks, been a while...

Chicago has me in a dillema; I have my choice of a pair of '85 Cornwalls in good condition or a pair of 2005 RF-7's for the same price - $500. I have a good amp, but it's not tube and I'm concerned about flatness of sound. These will initially be used for the TV room and, eventually, into a home theatre with my LaScalas, RSW-10 sub and Jolida tube amp...

any prefs audio heads?

Like wuzzer said, both are great deals. It really depends on which you prefer in terms of appearance and sound. You mentioned you are concerned about flatness of sound. Don't worry about it. The actual in-use smoothness/flatness of frequency response will be determined primarily by your room and how the speaker interacts with it, not the speaker itself. However, if, you intend to later integrate these with your LaScalas, the Cornwall is probably a better choice. The Reference series sound different. I'm using an RC7 center with Chorus L+R. The difference in "voicing" is noticable.

Before the rf-7s went out of comission they were my first choice for Klipsch, then my service manager showed me his heritage setup (pair of Corns and a pair of Heresies) so then I was turned onto heritage now I want the Heresies for the surrounds to the HT. So now I am back at looking at the rf-7s. But then there's the 2 way or 3 way, I say it depends on more then music or movies. Movies go with the rf-7s or more for music go with the Corns.

duder

I made the mistake of hooking up an old pair of H's (1973-ish) without going through the EQ first and the only thing I could do to control them was put a couple of strips of duct tape over the tweeter mouths.

If you have a soldering iron you can change which connection the tweeter(and midrange) use on the autoformer in your crossovers.

This can make them sound much more balanced and it only take a few minutes and is easily reversable if you don't like it.

-josh