Eagles Concert DVD

Youthman

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of other good quality DVD's, if you like the artist is Eric Clapton..."One more car one more rider" also Steely Dan's " two against nature".

There's also another eagles DVD recorded just as good or better....farewell tour 1

I have to side with dtel on this call. The Eagles final farewell tour is by far the best I have listened too! Kevin Harmon and I lwatched to that disc at least four times all the way through on Kevins Jubilees and his Klipsch KPT-684 cocert sub. I enjoyed it so much that Kevin bought me one for my birthday. By the way dtel, did Kevin email you that he thwack mastered that 12 point buck on the 23rd? He says he thinks it will be in the 140s after it dries.

Roger

The Eagles just seem to get better with age. I love Hell Freezes Over. I haven't heard the Melbourne concert DVD yet...

A totally different genre - I bought Diana Krall's 'Live in Paris' concert DVD the other day. Despite my anti Krall bias, this DVD is pretty good too...

The Melbourn concert is excellent and it's a full 2DVD set with almost everything of interest that they did together and a lot they did when apart.

...and like another poster said, they are having fun.

Don Felder is gone, and they have a different (also very good) back-up lead guitar player who actually does most of the guitar leads. JW does some, but not as much. Apparently Felder could never come to terms with Henley and Frey over what his share of the booty should be. He contributed heavily to Hotel California, but wasn't in the band before that.

Big rock star show biz done right. Good for them. The back-up musicians are world class and the horn section is to die for. Crank it up and enjoy the show.

The Farewell 1 Tour is one of my two or three favorite music discs I own. Impeccable sound quality! I have the HD DVD version which is even better than the DVD. It is output in DTS 96 khz to my Yamaha receiver and it is truly reference quality. I am sooo anxiously awaiting its' release on Blu-Ray. This disc is the sole reason I am hanging on to my Toshiba HD DVD player. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that it will be on Blu anytime soon. I emailed Warner/WEA back in April or May to inquire about them releasing this on Blu-Ray and they replied that they have no plans to do so at this time. Maybe we should start a petition to try and convince them. For now I will continue to enjoy this disc on my HD DVD player (in fact I plan on enjoying it tonight with a few glasses of wine). I particularly love Joe Walsh's material on this disc. He is such a nut, but boy can he still play guitar. To me it is priceless to watch Glen Frey crack up over his antics over and over again during this show. His version of Life's Been Good on this disc is incredible! And Timothy B. Schmidt's " I Can't Tell You Why" is one of if not my favorite bass test tracks of all. It has such deep, tight, punchy bass that is to die for!!! Any Eagles fan or audiophile who doesn't own this disc should really check it out.

The Melbourn concert is excellent and it's a full 2DVD set with almost everything of interest that they did together and a lot they did when apart.

...and like another poster said, they are having fun.

Don Felder is gone, and they have a different (also very good) back-up lead guitar player who actually does most of the guitar leads. JW does some, but not as much. Apparently Felder could never come to terms with Henley and Frey over what his share of the booty should be. He contributed heavily to Hotel California, but wasn't in the band before that.

Big rock star show biz done right. Good for them. The back-up musicians are world class and the horn section is to die for. Crank it up and enjoy the show.

I've got this one on HDDVD as well as a Toshiba HD-XA2 to play it on. The Toshiba feeds four 325 wpc QSC's enrout to my RF-7's (and other 7 series surround speakers). It's like being there. It's one of my favorite demo pieces that I own. It's absolutely crystal clear at ANY volume.

The only problem with Hell Freezes Over is that it was shot in Video, so it is and will always be Standard Def. No blu-ray for that title. However, they could always put it on blu-ray anyway and re-encode the master audio in DTSHD or Dolby TrueHD. I wouldn't mind that at all! :-)

The Melbourne disc(s) also rock. But two different types. One is a bit more acoustic/unplugged, and the other with the full ensemble. Both are great!

I also love Dave & Tim, and was never a fan of DMB before I watched that video. It's fantastic.

Does anyone have the David Gilmour blu-ray? I've heard it's great too but I keep forgetting to pick it up.

Rick

Thanks for getting my attention with this DVD. I had it sitting in my Sony juke box and thought I should check it out more thoroughly after reading your comments and then I found it pretty captivating and listened to it several times over. I should have known better because I really am a fan of the group and I've never seen them in person,so its been fun to see what their stage presence is like. I also found the initial few chapters enlightening with respect to what it took for them to get back together and to get their chops back.

I wasn't familiar with Glen Felder and I found some interesting things about him and the groups parting on Wikipedia. I have to finish up with that study to get an idea what Henley and Frey's take on it is. Apparantly Felder wrote a book about his experience that made the NY Times best seller list. Another interesting point I picked up because of your comments.

Picked up the Clapton DVD today and glad I did. I'm always looking for more good concerts to play a gazillion times.

One of my favorites is Bill Wyman's Rythem Kings. He wanted something to do after a few years retirement from the Stones, started going into the studio with some of his peers, and was asked to form a touring band. They are not all 73years old but its a mature group having a great time. Its got lots of 50ish rock, jump music and stuff that even has roots all the way back to the thirties. Its really well done if you think this might appeal to you. I hope I have something close to that kind of energy when I'm that age.

BigStew:

In The Flesh is a GREAT concert. I especially like Dogs on that one. The louder the better.............

(My little huntin partner ( Brittany Spaniel ) would make the funniest looks hearing it too)Big Smile

Yeah, that is just a great concert period. I like Time the best. I've seen Roger twice at the Hollywood Bowl. Live shows sound identical to the albums. Both times I saw him, he was doing Dark Side of the Moon. The first time, Nick Mason showed up and played drums for the DSOTM part of the show.

how far up north are you? I'm originally from Oakland and make it up that way about once a year. still have tons of family in the Oakland, Hayward, San Jose area.

Steve

I recieved the Eagles Farewell Live From Melbourne Tour for Xmas a couple years ago. I haven't watched it yet (shame, shame on me). I guess I'll have to give it spin. Hopefully, it might be just as good.