Do you like the look of this horn?

greg928gts

Just curious what the forum members think of the aesthetics of this horn.

I know the wood is beautiful, but I'm asking more about the design of the front and the trim around the front.

The inside tops and bottoms were not veneered, only the sides, so use your imagination! It's figured anigre on the inside sides and the inside tops and bottoms are just the birch plywood. The trim is sapele.

Thanks.

Greg

post-11090-13819554605464_thumb.jpg

post-11090-13819569972592_thumb.jpg

It's interesting that you extended the top and bottom piece beyond the side flare. Is there a sonic benefit for this or is it just asthetics? I like the light/dark contrast of the two wood colors.

Yeah, that's the part I'm unsure of. I'm at that stage of development where the excitement of creating something bold, and taking a risk in doing so, has worn off, and now I'm looking at what I created and I'm unsure of it.

The sides versus the top/bottom terminate themselves very differently, so it would be very difficult to just do a picture frame with the trim. By extending the top/bottom out, I was able to turn the trim and attach it in different ways. The trims have dado's cut out of them and they fit over the edges of the horn.

I don't yet know how this horn sounds. That's the next hurdle.

I appreciate the feedback so far.

Greg

The roundoff looks sharp?!?? [;)]

Greg, it looks very pretty! I think I'd probably prefer the trim and horn being the same species, and without the top and bottom extension. I think it would look slicker, more modern. Great work, sir!!

I know the wood is beautiful, but I'm asking more about the design of the front and the trim around the front.

The inside tops and bottoms were not veneered, only the sides, so use your imagination! It's figured anigre on the inside sides and the inside tops and bottoms are just the birch plywood. The trim is sapele.

Thanks.

Greg

I think it's gorgeous !!

You've heard of the 'Baby Cheeks' Tweeter? - You can call this the Bubba Cheeks Horn !![:D]

Greg,

I like the concept, but is the horn in the picture finished?

If it is, there are entirely too many gaps I can see and slightly off lengths.

Otherwise a very pretty concept. [Y]

Roger

Thanks.

Greg

Greg. That looks cool.

I'm just nit picking but if you are just wanting ideas thrown at ya....

It "might" look more appealing if the rounded trim weren't so big. Any chance the trim could be the same size as the panels?

What is the size of the mouth......12 x 24?

jc

The more I look at it, the more I don't like the top/bottom extensions as much as the trim on the sides. The trim on the sides just looks right to me, but the trim on the extensions is too bulky.

I think I may have figured out a way to do a picture frame with the trim all in the same plane, and in the same direction.

If the trim and the wood inside were the same species, as fini pointed out, I don't think the trim would look as big. It would blend in.

Greg

Greg,

I like the concept, but is the horn in the picture finished?

If it is, there are entirely too many gaps I can see and slightly off lengths.

Otherwise a very pretty concept. Yes

Roger

Yes, thanks for pointing that out Roger! [:$] edit - LOL - didn't want you to think I took any offense.

I had a VERY difficult time putting this trim on, which is another reason why I'm leaning towards doing it a different way.

I didn't sand or fill any of the trim, it's just a prototype horn. But I wouldn't rely on sanding and filling too much anyway, the joinery would have to be better. It took me about two hours to do the trim on that one horn.

Greg

Greg. That looks cool.

I'm just nit picking but if you are just wanting ideas thrown at ya....

It "might" look more appealing if the rounded trim weren't so big. Any chance the trim could be the same size as the panels?

What is the size of the mouth......12 x 24?

jc

Where the horn terminates, the mouth is 12-1/2" x 25" - good guess!

I could make the trim smaller, but I think it will be fine the way it is if I go to a simpler picture frame trim. Also, making the trim and the veneer the same species would help hide the size of the trim.

Greg

Those look great Greg, keep thinking outside the horn[:D]. Are you going to run some tests prior to changing the trim so you know how the trim change affects the horn, and how that prototype compares to a conventional tractrix design?