Too stupid to know we're stupid?

sputnik

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that disassociation exactly what happens on every American Idol preliminary show? We often sit there (when we watch it, which is not often) and say, "Surely they know how bad they are!" - but maybe they really don't...and now there is a name for it...

B

• Moderators

Even many of the comments from the peanut gallery are great.

Every peanut counts around here. [:P]

It is a good article and make alot of sense, just look at the news at some of the crazy stuff people try.[:S]

My favorite part.....

People will often make the case, “We can’t be that stupid, or we would have been evolutionarily wiped out as a species a long time ago.” I don’t agree. I find myself saying, “Well, no. Gee, all you need to do is be far enough along to be able to get three square meals or to solve the calorie problem long enough so that you can reproduce. And then, that’s it. You don’t need a lot of smarts. You don’t have to do tensor calculus. You don’t have to do quantum physics to be able to survive to the point where you can reproduce.” One could argue that evolution suggests we’re not idiots, but I would say, “Well, no. Evolution just makes sure we’re not blithering idiots. But, we could be idiots in a lot of different ways and still make it through the day.”

Most of people in my village are walking examples of the Dunning-Kruger Effect.....

I have to come back and thank you again for this post. I shared this with some of my coworkers and this was the subject of a 15 minute conversation before a plant-wide meeting today. This topic actually held the meeting up for about five minutes, so you deserve kudos for that if nothing else.

The premise of Idiocracy was great, but seeing all those slack-jawed yokels started to get pretty old after a while. Still, it's worth seeing once.

One of the TV shows in the movie reminded me of a highlights reel from America's Funniest Home Videos.

It really is pretty interesting. I'm wondering if our ingnorance of our ignorance is both a positive coping mechanism as well as a life limiting factor.

I heard a lecture by Richard Feynman where he was discussing the electromagnetic spectrum and how little of it we can sense. He explained how we'd go "nutty" if we could sense the entire spectrum and it was probably an important aspect of our survival as a species that we did not see all and know all - we just got the information we needed for our given ecological niche.

The same ignorance (or suspension) of reality and our place in it, perhaps, simulataneously allowed nazi concentration camp guards and prisoners to cope with the horror in which they were both placed as evil doers and victims - "this can't be happening so it really isn't true and I'm ok." Back in the late '70s, Jacob Bronowski used the Heisenberg uncertainty principal as an example of testing our confidence of a given conclusion and eloquently applied it to the Holocaust.

***Watch this video***

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mIfatdNqBA

It's so interesting that the same effect could help us get along and as well as result in catastrophe. It could also give us the self confidence we need, even if it's undeserved, to accomplish things (for better or worse.) Fascinating stuff.

This was my favorite part

"So, yes, the idea resonates. I would write more, and there’s probably a lot more to write about, but I haven’t a clue what that all is."

Too funny.

My speakers could sound much better than they do, but I'm not even aware of the existence of the better sound that is available. Unkown unkowns!

Greg

I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
Socrates

Not sure the authors added anything to the above, nor did the really underscore the profound nature of the level of evolution required to produce a creature able to make that statement. I find it even more profound that anyone should have reached that level as it is not required for survival.

But, here we are.

Dave