OT: Raining? Can't barbecue? One pot spicy meals!!

I'm not the greatest cook, in fact unless I experiment around, boiling water tends to be my level of expertise. But I have learned to make a few things. Mostly it's "manly-man" spicy stuff, but on occasion, my wife says I did a good job and eats one of my concoctions more than once...

I'm a great believer in "one pot" stuff. Spaghetti sauces, soups, etc. Simple, can be done without too much heartache, and when it's raining, or you really don't want to end up with 30 thousand dirty pots, pans, etc laying around after the experiment, then the "crock pot", or 6 quart cooking pot method of soups, stews and sauces can make you a hero on the WAF-O-Meter.

My latest creation (in honor of dtel & company!!) which actually comes out really well. Hearty and filling, etc. and I can add hot stuff to my portion without killing anyone else......

Chicken, Sausage & Okra Gumbo:

You will need a large skillet and olive oil (you can use vegetable oil, but will need to skim later) and either a 6-8 quart crock pot or a large cooking pot (6+ quart or bigger).

Part - 1: Cut into ½" chunks and slightly season (see below) 2.5 - 3.0 pounds frying chicken (boneless breasts and thighs work best); then cut 1 medium sweet onion cut in chunks; Brown chicken, then the onion chunks in skillet with olive oil & put into pot...

Part - 2: Dice 6 slices bacon; cook and put into pot with about 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings

Part - 3: Slice (1/4" pieces) 1 pound smoked "andouille" or smoked sausage; then cook and into pot, with a tablespoon of drippings optional.

Part - 4: Chop up 1 medium-small sweet onion; 1 or 2 green bell peppers; 2 celery ribs; 3 cloves fresh garlic, or 2 tablespoons of minced garlic. Mix the vegetables together; then slightly brown & put into pot.

Part 5: Now turn crock pot "on" to high (or stove top medium or high simmer setting if using a conventional pot); Add 4 cups (or cans) of chicken broth, a tablespoon of thyme, 3 cans diced tomatoes, about a cup or two sliced fresh okra, and one tablespoon of the below seasoning mix.

Let it cook/ simmer, stirring every 15 minutes for the first hour, and after the first hour of when it's been simmering, taste and add additional seasoning (not more than about 1 tablespoon) if you want to "kick it up". After about an hour, you can turn the heat down and let the concoction cook for about 3-4 hours on a low setting as long as it's slightly "bubbling". Keep stirring every 30 minutes or so, and taste it every hour and add additional seasoning if that's the way you like it.

About ½ an hour before serving, skim any excess grease/ fat off the top and stir it really well.

Can be served as a hearty spicy soup, or over rice with Louisiana hot sauce garnished with fresh jalapeno's (my favorite!!)

It'll make about 6 quarts and you can freeze the leftover in mason jars.

The "seasoning" mix.... which seems to be pretty much the Creole taste I was looking for, although dtel and Christy have yet to weigh in on additional ingredients.

• 2.5 tablespoons paprika
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoons dried thyme

Let's hear from others with "one pot" meal ideas (except chile which is another whole sacred category unto itself...)

The "seasoning" mix.... which seems to be pretty much the Creole taste I was looking for, although dtel and Christy have yet to weigh in on additional ingredients.

• 2 tablespoons salt

Or just get some Tony Chachere's or Slap Ya Mama. They have all of the above plus secret ingredients.

• Moderators

I would eat that.....[:P]........but that statement also covers about 95% of all foods. [Y]

Some people also use finely chopped celery, bell pepper and even gumbo file'. If 1000 people in New Orleans makes Gumbo it would be different in 995 houses, people use what they like and ingredients that was left over.

The general idea is the same but it's always a little different. Kind of like red beans and rice, in the old days it was always cooked on Mondays in N.O. because Monday was wash day, so the beans sat on the stove cooking all day while you did other things, everyone cooks them slightly different.

Another way to get started is to boil the chicken in a big pot until almost cooked, drain off the fat and use the water/stock for the soup or gumbo, and go from there. You can still brown the chicken in some spices to give it some more flavor and add it back to the pot later. Although that is more trouble, but you can also make a BIG pot, it freezes well.

• Moderators

• 2 tablespoons salt

Or just get some Tony Chachere's or Slap Ya Mama. They have all of the above plus secret ingredients.

Got to be careful with that Tony's, it can get really salty, we tried the salt free, it taste even more salty then the original some how ?

I was real careful about the "Cajun Seasoning" and decided to experiment and make my own. Some of them contain MSG and other preservatives that Katrina does not like in anything we cook. I need to "look into" the gumbo file' stuff though.... [H]

This batch is in the crock pot while I'm working on grants. Only thing to do is stir it evry half hour and serve when Her Majestic Worshipfulness arrives home from overseeing her dominion..... [:D]

• Moderators

This batch is in the crock pot while I'm working on grants. Only thing to do is stir it evry half hour and serve when Her Majestic Worshipfulness arrives home from overseeing her dominion...

That's funny, you are well trained, I still have a ways to go. [:-*] It is easier to play along than to try to fight it. [:$] I have learned as I got older, or is it i am just lazy and take the easy way out ? Whatever keeps the [bs] to a minimum. [H]

I think your better off with normal spices, most of the premixed stuff has something your not going to like in it, and alot of salt, (which i like) but my blood pressure and weight does not.

Next project is to do a gumbo with roux... I'm not really confident with the "thickening" process at the moment and may just add slowly add slowly add some flour to the gumbo and see what happens. I'd bet less than 1/2 cup will do it.... Need some ground up sassafras leaves (file') as a sprinkle topping [Y]

• 2 tablespoons salt

Let's hear from others with "one pot" meal ideas (except chile which is another whole sacred category unto itself...)

That's Emeril's "essence" seasoning mix right there, and it's good stuff. If you like it, you like his jambalaya, which is also an easy one-pot meal. Recipe here. This takes me less than an hour in the Dutch oven now.

Now this one isn't quite one-pot, but it is my favorite super-quick meal. Blackened salmon. You need two filets, a cast iron skillet, the Creole seasoning, and some canola oil. Oh yeah -- a good hood fan or cross-flow ventilation, otherwise you're testing your smoke alarms.

Put the skillet in the oven and heat it to 450 degrees. While it's heating, lay out your filets on a plate and dry them with a paper towel. You're going to season the filets with the seasoning, and I have best results using the wet hand/dry hand technique. I'm right-handed, so the right hand is the dry hand. Take the lids off the seasoning and the oil (unless you have a drizzler -- drizzlers win) and put about a half teaspoon of oil on each filet. Rub the oil on the filet with your wet hand to coat the whole side, then use your dry hand to season the fish to preference. Me, I don't want to be able to see the fish through the seasoning.

With your wet hand, flip the fish over, and repeat. Wash your hands now -- you're done making a mess of yourself.

When the skillet is hot, take it out of the oven and place it on a burner set to medium-high. Swirl about a teaspoon of oil in the skillet. You may get just a little smoke and that's just fine. It's also why you don't use olive oil here -- way too low a smoke point. Set the fish in the skillet and give it two minutes on the stovetop. Set the oven to broil.

Once the fish has had two minutes in the skillet, turn it over, then put the skillet back in the oven under the broiler. Two minutes there and you're done.

You can also do this with mahi mahi, but since it's a denser fish you need another minute per side. The technique is also perfect for ahi, but I wouldn't ruin a good ahi with heavy spices. It's best unseasoned and served with a little green onion/ginger/sesame oil/rice wine vinegar sauce.

Serve with the side of your choice. I favor steamed broccoli, but garlic roasted asparagus is also nice.

That essence is a great dry marinade for anything you want to grill. About a tablespoon of it shaken up in a ziplock back with a pound of chicken livens things up nicely.

• 2 tablespoons salt

That's Emeril's "essence" seasoning mix right there, and it's good stuff. If you like it, you like his jambalaya, which is also an easy one-pot meal. Recipe here. This takes me less than an hour in the Dutch oven now.

Now this one isn't quite one-pot, but it is my favorite super-quick meal. Blackened salmon. You need two filets, a cast iron skillet, the Creole seasoning, and some canola oil. Oh yeah -- a good hood fan or cross-flow ventilation, otherwise you're testing your smoke alarms.

Put the skillet in the oven and heat it to 450 degrees. While it's heating, lay out your filets on a plate and dry them with a paper towel. You're going to season the filets with the seasoning, and I have best results using the wet hand/dry hand technique. I'm right-handed, so the right hand is the dry hand. Take the lids off the seasoning and the oil (unless you have a drizzler -- drizzlers win) and put about a half teaspoon of oil on each filet. Rub the oil on the filet with your wet hand to coat the whole side, then use your dry hand to season the fish to preference. Me, I don't want to be able to see the fish through the seasoning.

With your wet hand, flip the fish over, and repeat. Wash your hands now -- you're done making a mess of yourself.

When the skillet is hot, take it out of the oven and place it on a burner set to medium-high. Swirl about a teaspoon of oil in the skillet. You may get just a little smoke and that's just fine. It's also why you don't use olive oil here -- way too low a smoke point. Set the fish in the skillet and give it two minutes on the stovetop. Set the oven to broil.

Once the fish has had two minutes in the skillet, turn it over, then put the skillet back in the oven under the broiler. Two minutes there and you're done.

You can also do this with mahi mahi, but since it's a denser fish you need another minute per side. The technique is also perfect for ahi, but I wouldn't ruin a good ahi with heavy spices. It's best unseasoned and served with a little green onion/ginger/sesame oil/rice wine vinegar sauce.

Serve with the side of your choice. I favor steamed broccoli, but garlic roasted asparagus is also nice.

That essence is a great dry marinade for anything you want to grill. About a tablespoon of it shaken up in a ziplock back with a pound of chicken livens things up nicely.

Great post Olo. One variation I do with mixing up the essense is to simply leave out the salt, thereby allowing for complete salt control of any dish in which I use the essense.

I've been making Gumbo for awhile and it is a great dish that freezes well. Groomlake, to make a roux you must have patience, what is it Emeril calls it? "A two beer roux", literally takes twenty minutes of CONSTANT stirring over a medium/low flame. I use a dutch oven for gumbo, the biggest pot I've got. I start with a decent amount of olive oil which will prevent the butter from burning while making the roux. First warm the oil and then add a stick of butter. After the butter is bubbling, sift a rougly equal amount of flour into the warm pot. Sifting it will prevent lumps of flour from forming and having uncooked flour in your gumbo. Stir using a whisk for roughly 20 minutes until the roux has become the color of peanut butter/coffee with a little milk.

At that time I add chopped peppers, onions, and celery and garlic. This will cause the roux to sieze up, you can "relax" it by adding stock, either chicken stock or seafood stock. I try to save any leftover cooking liquid from steaming clams and mussels throughout the year for making gumbo. I also buy stock from my local seafood store, it all goes in there. After the veggies have cooked about halfway through it is open season on what you put in there. I usually add a large can of chopped tomatoes for color and additional liquid. I'll strip a rotiserrie chicken, chop that up and throw it in. Grill up some andouille sausages and toss them in the pot after slicing them. Up north we have access to good local Keilbasa/Polish sausages so they end up in there sometimes if I can't get andoullies.

I know it is not traditional but I make a sausage/chicken/seafood gumbo, so towards the end of the cooking time 3 hours or so, I'll throw in some crawfish tails, & local chopped clams. If I am feeling flush I'll put in a pound of lump crabmeat from Phillips, which I can get from Costco. It adds a really nice sweet finishing touch right at the end. The crab will just break up and spread out throughout the stew.

As to spices, well the world is your oyster. Hot sauce, cayenne, cracked pepper, thyme, parsley, whatever floats your boat. I tend not to use too much salt in the dish because there is plenty in the various clam broth, seafood stock or chicken stock and sausages in the pot. File powder adds a very distinctive note to the gumbo and is used to help thicken the gumbo. It is only added at the very end. Good luck with your next version.

I defrosted a bunch this morning and the wife and I will be having it for dinner tonight, a timely post! [:D]

http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/twarda/recipes/Beef_in_Burgundy.html

The recipe is a favorite -- as a start. Not spicy as it stands but you can doctor it. I do put in a little tobasco. I always say I will deny the words passed my lips . . . but it needs more garlic.

For me, this care with the bacon is misplaced. Do put it the pot. Mushrooms can be doubled. Onions I cook until they are sweet -- so do start with sweet onions. I use olive oil for the roux and it might convice someone it is a healthy step. I try to find broth without MSG because there is an odd taste to it IMHO. Other recipes say chicken both is just as good. I stick with beef because otherwise you have visions of some horrid hybid animal.

It seems somewhat important to limit the amount of wine (more for the cook) and fluids. Otherwise it doesn't boil off and you need more roux.

The universal advice is to not use wine you wouldn't drink. Don't use jug wine but I don't see any need for expensive stuff. Burgundy is Pinot Noir. You're going to serve the dish with red wine and, so, buy accordingly.

You can read about roux on the web. You're just frying flour a bit.

Ordinary stew beef from the grocery store works for me. Sometimes I wonder what it really is. So cutting up chuck or round works.

I simmer it rather than use an oven. I expect that if you cook too long, it turns to mush. Hence limit fluids you have to boil off.

It seems that there are hundreds or more recipes for beef in red wine. The basic idea here is beef, wine, garlic, bacon, onions, and some spices. How can that not taste good?

This is a great minimal effort, maximum result dish.

Wm McD

"If it has no roux, it's a soup." That's straight from my Cajun bride [6]

Actually all you need to make great roux is a properly working oven! My wife makes roux the old fashioned stovetop way, buy my mother-n-law bakes it in the oven and it works out great. If interested I could probably cough up the recipe.[<:o)]

When visiting my wifes family (Lake Charles, La) we hit the bayou for a while and go crabbing with chicken necks first. That's because for proper gumbo you need about a doz. cleaned blue crab bodies floating around the top of the gumbo pot!

• Moderators

"If it has no roux, it's a soup." That's straight from my Cajun bride Devil

Actually all you need to make great roux is a properly working oven! My wife makes roux the old fashioned stovetop way, buy my mother-n-law bakes it in the oven and it works out great. If interested I could probably cough up the recipe.Party!!!

When visiting my wifes family (Lake Charles, La) we hit the bayou for a while and go crabbing with chicken necks first. That's because for proper gumbo you need about a doz. cleaned blue crab bodies floating around the top of the gumbo pot!

[Y] Sounds like the lady is the real thing. [Y]