Khorn Owners

jcmusic

I have mine sitting directly on the carpeted floor.

The fellow I bought them from had built a platform that fit perfectly in the corners out of two by fours stood on edge with a 3/4" plywood top. This looked just OK, it could have been finished nicer but the fit was great, looked like it was just part of the speaker. He said he had built them because he had been in a house with a basement that flooded once and he did not want to take any chances with his beloved Khorns.

I chose not to use them because I did not want to raise the speaker 4-5 inches off the floor as my ceiling height is marginal at 7.5 feet.

Flat on the carpet, no false corners (no room!), sealed with pipe insulation on the tailboard and the sides of the bottom of the top hat. I'd always understood that the lowest notes would be weakened or not as extended if the K's don't sit on the floor. Otherwise, my tweaks are selection of other stuff.

Flat on the carpet, no false corners (no room!), sealed with pipe insulation on the tailboard and the sides of the bottom of the top hat. I'd always understood that the lowest notes would be weakened or not as extended if the K's don't sit on the floor. Otherwise, my tweaks are selection of other stuff.

Ditto!

Very cool pic SoundBound... I am impressed... Nice JOB...

In the corners with false backs...

with, unfortunantly, a book case between them... (NEVER DO THIS>>> AWWWW)

Thank you. There's no book case between them. That's a closed door. There's two doors between the Klipschorns. A door that comes into that room and a second door that goes into another room with a narrow wall between the doors. I close both doors while listening to the Klipschorns.

Hi:

Mine are situated in natural corners and resting on a hardwood floor. I've added 3 "sliders" (no, not White Castle burgers) to the bottom of each bass bin as suggested by HDRBuilder.

I've added pipe insulation to the tail boards but not to the top of the bass bins as others have mentioned. Don't know why I missed/overlooked that part but will be adding the pipe insulation to the bass bins shortly.

Thanks

JJ

Sorry about that - I couldn't resist...

Seriously, PWK was pretty adamant about no gaps under his speakers, so they should be on the floor (for that matter, this applies to all Klipsch Heritage speakers). Secondly, the Khorn needs to be centered left-to-right in the corner such that the two horn mouths on each side are the same size. If they're not in the corners at 45 degrees, they don't sound right.

I have mine in corners with the open-cell refrigeration pipe insulation on the tail piece and on the top of the bass bin to seal the tops from the bass bin. This helps quite a bit - and the most important seal is on the tailpiece. It also helps to keep marks off your walls...

Chris

Hi:

Mine are situated in natural corners and resting on a hardwood floor. I've added 3 "sliders" (no, not White Castle burgers) to the bottom of each bass bin as suggested by HDRBuilder.

I've added pipe insulation to the tail boards but not to the top of the bass bins as others have mentioned. Don't know why I missed/overlooked that part but will be adding the pipe insulation to the bass bins shortly.

Thanks

JJ

Hey JJ, How you doing?

What do mean by 'sliders' - Are these the little plastic disks that other furniture has? Would this lift thebass bin by about 1/8 to 1/16 inch off the floor?

Mine are on a concrete floor covered with a layer of vinyl tile, which is covered with very heavy carpet padding and comercial grade (HyattHotel) carpeting. However the tail boards are lag bolted to the wall with a vertical 2x10 custom fit tightly & sealed air-tight into the corner and also lag bolted to the wall. The wall is heavily reinforced with staggered 2x4 vertically and horizontally, and also lag bolted to the foundation wall, covered with solid core marine grade 1/2" plywood overlayed with 5/8" sheetrock. Air space voids between studs filled with loose rock wool.

The walls still vibrate.

For all the extra work, FWIW, IMHO the midrange/treble was improved more than the bass.

Mine are on a concrete floor covered with a layer of vinyl tile, which is covered with very heavy carpet padding and comercial grade (HyattHotel) carpeting. However the tail boards are lag bolted to the wall with a vertical 2x10 custom fit tightly & sealed air-tight into the corner and also lag bolted to the wall. The wall is heavily reinforced with staggered 2x4 vertically and horizontally, and also lag bolted to the foundation wall, covered with solid core marine grade 1/2" plywood overlayed with 5/8" sheetrock. Air space voids between studs filled with loose rock wool.

overkill x infinitie

I have mine setting on the hardwood floor. I had them tucked back in the corners and thought they sounded great. After a year a tube amp builder came over and sat down for a listen. He was a little baffled with the sound as he said there was no imaging, He ask me to toe them out away from the wall and for the first time I heard them image. I could not believe the new sound. I immediately put false backs on all 6 of mine and have them all toed out from the corners and love the sound.

On hardwood floors, but..... original tailboard removed (it's got those big gaps for giant baseboards), "straight" tailboard, bottom has "top" section bottom installed which seals the bottom from "leaks", tailboard, bottom board and top section bottom board sealed with speaker gasket tape to wall. No leaks. See: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/109618.aspx

[H]