Why do we love our horn speakers so much?

Max2

I know there are several obvious answers to this, but give me yours. There are a lot of people out there that cant stand a horn and continue to buy one of the thousands of flavors of "mid towers" or bookshelf type speaks (take your pick of brand).

I was spoiled with a set of Cornwall II's starting back in 1987. I have never heard any normal speaker since then that was comparable IMO. Actually in 1984 I was rattled by a neighbors set of Heresy's and knew I had to have some horns....and so it began.

I guess its the shear sonics of the mids with their details and the dynamics that give a 3 dimensional sound or at least what I hear with whats left of my ears. Vocals seem so lifelike and effortless. Everytime I hear a conventional/high tech new design that is basically a rehashed version that started decades ago with Norman Labs just leaves me with a sterile sound. Its almost like trying to hear the music pumped through one of grandmas old quilts[:)]

I was just curious as to what everyone thought about all the "Horn haters" out there.

I was just curious as to what everyone thought about all the "Horn haters" out there.

Head stuck in the sand comes to mind..... [6]

For my ears, it's all about the dynamics & scale of the sound. I still remember back in 1978 when I first heard a pair of LaScalas. The dude at the store was playing some ELP and I was dumbstruck as to how the band was actually INSIDE the speaker. I mean, it was as though they took ELP and physically jammed them inside there and they were playing for me. Nothing at that store sounded as real. They did have some kind of electrostatic speakers in the main listening room and there was certainly a delicate "true" sound about those.... but essentially zero score in the dynamics department so I never gave those a second thought.

It's a pretty simple answer for me: I believe that there have been quite a few poorly executed horn-loaded speakers over the years that have soured many folks on the idea. For instance, my experience with commercial VOTT-type units found in many DJ forums hasn't been positive. I refer to these units as "PA speakers". Many PA speaker designs were horn-loaded in order to sustain the required loudness up to 105 db(SPL) where the patrons walk in the door. Most folks don't think of these speakers as being worthy of the classification "hi-fi quality".

Additionally, the invention of neutral sounding constant-coverage horns without the "frying pan sizzle" or horn-like sound has been a relatively new development, e.g., the Klipsch K-402, K-510, and other straight-walled horns with carefully smoothed horn throats and reasonable mouth flare.

It's interesting to note that most people still think that horn-loaded speakers as "old hat" technology. Actually, I now believe that good horn designs are newer than planar speakers (dynamic or electrostatic) and other cone-drivers-in-a-box technologies. This is more than a bit counter cultural. For instance, if you look at the U.K. audiophile community and their dominant group opinion--the superiority of direct-radiating cone-type speakers--you'll see what I mean. Just pick up the book "High Performance Loudspeakers" and read the paragraph or two on horn-loaded speakers. Misinformation is epidemic in those pages.

But there is another relatively new development that I believe that even many patrons of this forum have yet to hear: very good and affordable active digital crossovers that enable time alignment of drivers and can correct for the drop in hf response of the newer "constant directivity" horns that don't use diffraction slots (again I'm referring to the above mentioned horn types like the Klipsch designs, et al.). These crossovers have appeared within the last decade or so, and in particular, the last 5 years. To my knowledge, the only Klipsch speakers that routinely use active crossovers are in their commercial line, a key business area that has captured something like 60% of the market share in the movie theater marketplace. In my discussions with Roy D., most clients continue to say that they're "...blown away by their hi-fi sound...". If you find a Klipsch-equipped cinema vs. a Brand-"X"-equipped cinema in your area, I believe that you'll hear that difference clearly.

Recapping these two developments:

1. non-diffraction-type constant coverage horns, and
  2. active digital crossovers providing for constant coverage EQ needs, time delay, and steep slope crossover networks that are stable under high-SPL heating conditions and aging of crossover components and provide for one amplifer channel per driver type/frequency band (...a distinct advantage...)

These have been relatively recent additions to the horn-loaded speaker world--at least in terms of the competing speaker technologies mentioned above.

I believe that it's been a realtively invisible change for a many folks. Most folks nowadays, when they go to the theater (albeit, not as often as they used to), they enjoy the sounds but don't notice that it's gotten a lot better. Interestingly, the same active-crossover time alignment capability used in cinema and commercial environments helps out even more in small rooms with horn-loaded speakers having as-built time misalignment of drivers.

Another reason that I believe we still have "horn haters": too many people that demand laughably small speakers over good-sounding speakers: I'll leave that topic to another posting... [:#]

My $0.02.

Chris

• Moderators

For me it's only two things and there very simple.

1 I like the way they sound, simple enough, and this is always #1 on the list.

2 There very efficient, you don't need high priced high power amps.

As far as horn-haters go if they hate them because of there sound fine, but if it just because they have horns only they must have a reason more important then the sound, which I don't understand.

For me; it goes back to my Dad's JBL L100s and a Sansui 9090db.

I have always longed for something comparable.

I got my promedia 2.1s back in 2001-2002......

Well; I got some Ohm "Model E" speakers for $4.00 each in mint shape at the thrift store...... and that ignited the buried desire to achieve great sound.

I got some KG 2.5s; and was at another level; and then.... BAM. The second I hooked up the Heresies; I knew I was on the path to sonic glory......

I am now (almost 2 years later) borderline obsessed, including getting Klipsch speakers introduced and owned in the family.....

The Horns just sound real. More accurate. More efficient.

I was told last weekend that my GFs cousin now has "a concert in his basement"... And to a large degree.... absolutely true....

Because I was handed a copy of the 8 Card by PWK himself after he spent half a day with a friend and me explaining all about the Klipsch philosophy. I was 21. Once I'd read the paper, I knew only Klipschorns would ever work for me and more importantly I knew why.

What horn haters hate is accuracy. Stuff that sounds OK on colored and more forgiving speakers sounds like bloody hell on them big 'ol 'horns. I disposed of quite a few recordings after getting mine.

Dave

it's because they are so dam sexy

Very concise.

Why horns? Dynamic, effortless, realistic sound. I can listen for days on end--and never tire of that sound.

(...That reminds me of a quote from Amadeus [~]...)

Chris

Max2mc: can you tell me about your KLF30"s? How they sound and how they compare tothe other Klipsch you have owned. I am trying to figure out if dual 12's is the way to go or if dual 10's work out better? Also what you thought about the mid horn on the KLF's? It's supposed to be the third generation tractrix horn. They are actually hybrid designs. Right now I am thinking the Forte ll mid horn (K704) which I think is the first generation followed by the CF series then the KLF may be the best of the lot but you really have to listen and compare. any comments would be most welcome from users. Thanks best regards Moray James.

can you tell me about your KLF30"s? How they sound and how they compare tothe other Klipsch you have owned.

moray james,

I had KLF-30's, KLF-20's and RF-7's all in the same room at the same time and did some comparing. To me, the KLF-20's sounded like a three-way RF-7. The KLF-30's sound closer to a Heritage sound but not entirely. I would say the 30's are in the "extended heritage" category along with Forte's and Chorus. The RF-7's to me sound very good for music but are ultimately a home theatre speaker in comparing them to the above metioned three-way Klipsch.

I stuck with the KLF-30 and found that with proper placement the tight bass, three dimentional soundstage and pinpoint imaging is staggering with the right recordings. The 30's are known as a rock and roll speaker. The "smoothness" of the mids-highs on any type of music is what amazes me on a daily basis.

There is so much talk about the K-horns, LaScala's and Cornwalls but the KLF-30's, Forte's and the Chorus ll's have their own followings for good reason. Properly set up.....properly fed.....horns are hard to beat. When you get to the point of having warmth complimenting their clarity and dynamics, you've really got something. [Y]

Even though I've only owned Klipsch for a couple of years now, the horn journey really started 20+ years ago when I was only into German and Swiss gear and was extremely happy with my systems. I needed a system for a small bar that I co owned and wasn't going to spend a ton of money. I ended up purchasing a pair of 2 way community pa speakers that were driven by an Onkyo receiver and those speakers rocked the place with very little power. Many of my patrons ended up purchasing those speakers for their home and I remember that even though they didn't have quite the detail of my home systems, the mids were excellent and the bottom end punch was great.

Flash forward and the progression has been from a pair of RF7's, to Cornwalls, to split Cornscala's, with a few pieces and parts cut and laying in the shop for Jamboree's and a pair of Spud's. Details, Details, Details[:D]