Help me buy a shotgun

CECAA850

I'm in the market for a shotgun. It's primarily going to be used for home defense. I've done a little reading and it seems most people aren't generally very accurate with a pistol grip so I'm guessing a normal stock? I have some store credit at Bass Pro Shops, so I was looking on line there and saw THIS . Does anyone have an educated preference to make or model? Thanks.

Carl

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I don't know about that model but I use a old Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip, 3" 00 buckshot, better hang on. [Y]

I have had it for a long time and never had any problems with it, I even brought it with me in the boat for years saltwater fishing and except for a little rust on the barrel it has always worked. I ended up painting the barrel to clean it up, it's kind of nice to not have to worry about scratching it up I can drag it anywhere like this.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=5

post-11804-13819641676416_thumb.jpg

Mossberg 500 Bullpup

Mossberg 500 bullpup shotgun.

Type: Pump action shotgun
Gauge: 12, 20, or .410; Chamber 3" / 76 mm
Overall length: varies with different models
Barrel length(s): 355 - 500 mm (14" - 20") for combat/defensive versions. up to 711 mm / 28" in hunting versions
Weight: 3.06-3.29kg
Magazine: 5, 7 or 8 rounds in underbarrel tube magazine

This is one of mine that I use for home defense. 12 guage

I like it because it can be secured very well against your shoulder and you have two strong grips by which to hold it.

Make sure you're up to speed with TX castle doctrine - the short version: anything goes if your safety or the safety of others is in jeopardy and you are legally able to carry the gun where you happen to be (home,car,property, etc or if you have your CHL)

Do you have a police supply place in your area? if so look at theri stuff.Most are banged around in a squad car but have little actual wear.

Lots of older Remington 870s that will do just fine- If new look at the Beneli Novas.

Mossberg 500 Bullpup

Mossberg 500 bullpup shotgun.

Type: Pump action shotgun
Gauge: 12, 20, or .410; Chamber 3" / 76 mm
Overall length: varies with different models
Barrel length(s): 355 - 500 mm (14" - 20") for combat/defensive versions. up to 711 mm / 28" in hunting versions
Weight: 3.06-3.29kg
Magazine: 5, 7 or 8 rounds in underbarrel tube magazine

This is one of mine that I use for home defense. 12 guage

I like it because it can be secured very well against your shoulder and you have two strong grips by which to hold it.

Where in the world did you find that?

I don't know about that model but I use a old Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip, 3" 00 buckshot, better hang on. Yes

I have had it for a long time and never had any problems with it, I even brought it with me in the boat for years saltwater fishing and except for a little rust on the barrel it has always worked. I ended up painting the barrel to clean it up, it's kind of nice to not have to worry about scratching it up I can drag it anywhere like this.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=5

Do you have any trouble hitting what you're pointing at (with the pistol grip) or did it take some practice?

• Moderators

Do you have any trouble hitting what you're pointing at (with the pistol grip) or did it take some practice?

Not really, I tend to hold it out in front of me a little which helps. The hand on the pump part better hold on tight with 3" shells, my barrel is a little shorter than pictured. If you shoot it at night a flame is about a foot longer than the barrel will surprise you. [:o]

I originally had the gun for duck hunting and later changed it, it was a 30" full choke from the factory with a very tight pattern, great for *****.

Have you considered a Taurus Judge ? I have the 3" chamber 3" barrel version . The 3" 410 000 buckshot round is a beast ; for a handgun . 5 36cal pieces of shot hitting the target at the same time would ruin a critters day , regardless of what size the critter may be .

Have you considered a Taurus Judge ? I have the 3" chamber 3" barrel version . The 3" 410 000 buckshot round is a beast ; for a handgun . 5 36cal pieces of shot hitting the target at the same time would ruin a critters day , regardless of what size the critter may be .

Have one with laser sights. went to 45 long colt for ammo after reading article where 2.5 chamber only penetrated 4 inches. Had to get the Judge after the Lady of the house decided I had not bought her a Birthday Gift. Busted Again! Hers has Laser sights also, and only weighs 13 oz. Keep 45 long Colt ammo in mine with enough time to get to one of the glocks, which should get me to Benelli. Benelli simi auto will dump 5 shots before 1st case hits the ground. The thing I like about the pump shotguns is the noise they make racking the action. It will get everybody's attention, and if someone is misbehaving, give cause to change their mind. And you should not be tempted to keep one in chamber (some of the time).

There are plenty of sites for gun nuts, why do you find it necessary to pollute an audio site?

Home security. Have to protect stereo investment. But really, I thought of similar reply. Just couldn't help myself. Lots of sites for those of us who also collect guns. Not all of us are nuts though.

CECAA850 you have Email

you should be fine with most any pump shotgun out there...most stick to 12GA and pump for ease of use and little worry of a failure when needed (as might happen with an improperly maintained semi auto)...I would look for a reputable used (or new if money isn't a huge worry since they aren't THAT expensive) Remington 870 like you referenced in your first post...also worth considering...Mossberg 500, 590...Benelli, Browning, etcetera...stick to the big names and you'll be fine...many of the "off brands" (made in China and elsewhere) are fine but can be heavier than the models they tend to copy...If you need one for the whole family...perhaps look at a similar shotgun in 20GA...the firearms forums will help you decide (or confuse you more) on a proper all around load for HD...

Bill

Another Mossberg 500 owner here. I bought the "combo" kit that came with the wood stock and pistol grip with a 30" barrel (I think) and an 18" barrel. I have it configured with the pistol grip and the 18" barrel.

Years ago I read in a hunting magazine an article about "home defense" weapons. The writer said that a pump shotgun is the best personal defense weapon because it is the least likely to be fired. The theory is that pretty much any criminal type knows the sound of a pump shotgun being racked and upon hearing that VERY distinctive sound is going to head for the nearest exit post haste.