My jubilee setup

bracurrie

• Moderators

I mean, if what you see falls short, what about what you can't see? Plainly put - I'm all but pretty sure everyone else didn't get the level of quality that you and Richard did (first two built for home use).

The cut list, bracing and build was significantly changed, I believe starting after Michaels. I don't remember there being any issues after that.

Travis

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was kinda hoping to get two of the newer builds, I worked at the company at the time. Two dusty cartons of the old build type were delivered from Hope. Same quality as Dean's I'm afraid. Mis-aligned braces, split wood, scars on the 402's. I had mentioned months earlier to a design engineer the possiblity of adding (I think I called it a 'beauty panel' at the time) to the front to doll them up a bit.

The new build order created a yoke of sorts from the bracing that made them one piece and made it possible for one man to assemble the Jubilee bass bin.

I never use them. The XTi solution I was pointed to is far too noisy for my home and hearing (ever wonder why PA companies use the iTech but never the XTi?). I can't afford the EV network. I think I dusted the horns a few months ago. They pretty much just take up space and look impressive.

Michael

I agree completely with Doc's statement about the DBX Driverack. It does not have anywhere near the quality of processing chip of the DX38, so it's noisy. Also there aren't nearly enough PEQ channels to dial in all the settings recommended by the engineers at Klipsch. I use a Driverack in my PA and NEVER use the auto-eq setting. Dead flat is rarely musical sounding. Most live sound engineers use a calibrated microphone and a system such as SMAART or other software with transfer function setting and checking phase response to tune a sound system. There is quite a bit to getting even the crossover points and balancing system compents prior to beginning with eq. There is no way to get this anywhere close without some test equipment. That's what they do when they tune an actual cinema. I've seen it done.

Michael

Tom be carefull of these DSS horns especially if 2-way high performance is your goal at some point. Good polars are very important but it really matters how they have been acheived.

mike tn

Mike, I hear you.

For a while I fooled around with the big JBL b-radial (2360). It controlled the dispersion very nicely and down to a low enough freq in order to mate with my Jub-clone bass bins. However, there was a harshness to the sound if crossed too low. I assumed it was because of too much air being forced through that narrow diffraction slot (diffraction slot required for the CD dispersion). Although they do not control dipsersion as well (in the vertical plane at the crossover freq), the Klipsch K-510 and Electrovoice HP640 were much better sounding. Trying to achieve a two design does present some problems. Someday I will get a Klipsch K-402 in there, but not today ......

I have not seen any good pictures of the big DDS. So I am not sure of its geometry and contours. This would not go on my Jub bass bins but it is for another project.

I bought (3) of the "new design" Jubilee bass bins and the buid quality was very good, no issues at all.

Also the (2) 402 horns I bought several years ago were very good, no flaws I can see, finish or otherwise.

I also think the 402 sitting on the Jubilee bass bin looks just right, even the wife thinks so! Just plug the screw holes around the perimerter with black scwews or plugs.

I still say the 402 is the best HF horn I have ever heard.

rigma

I still say the 402 is the best HF horn I have ever heard.

+1. The soundstage is AMAZING. I've also learned that damping early reflections around the K-402s is important to hear that really deep and crisp/focused soundstage performance.

Roy remarked to me last fall that imaging would be maximized if you placed the K-402s outside with nothing between the two speakers but air. It only took me 3 years to discover the difference (...and one year after TADs...).

Chris [:D]

if you placed the K-402s outside with nothing between the two speakers but air

Maybe that's why I've been frothing at the mouth about mine for so long...

I'm using them like headphones....and there is nothing between them but air!

[8-)]

So that's how you can tell if Roy likes you or not. If Fedex drops 'B' Stock on your curb, you're in trouble. :-) Just to be clear here, the K-402 IS a great horn, it's just freaking too expensive. C'mon, you can get a new K-401 for $50!

if you placed the K-402s outside with nothing between the two speakers but air

Maybe that's why I've been frothing at the mouth about mine for so long...

I'm using them like headphones....and there is nothing between them but air!

Roll-eyes

Too funny

So that's how you can tell if Roy likes you or not. If Fedex drops 'B' Stock on your curb, you're in trouble. :-) Just to be clear here, the K-402 IS a great horn, it's just freaking too expensive. C'mon, you can get a new K-401 for $50!

I think they are competing directly with JBL in the theater market, so their price structure is set up the same way. Priced any big JBL's lately? I can only afford the used ones.

I'm concerned that you will continue to spend money chasing the true Jubilee and will continue to fall short. From your description of drop-outs, shallow crossover slopes, mis-matched hf horns, etc., I'm guessing that you are not yet close to the real Jubilee.

Bill, I appreciate your concern, however you are missing the point. The thrill is the chase. I will continue to be blissfully ignorant until I hear the real thing. But that's ok because getting to know all the great people on this forum and learning from you is priceless. I am not disappointed at all. Quite the opposite to be sure. My home brew has a great nose, fruit forward flavor and no bitter finish.

What if I stumble upon a better system? It would be a shame to spend $5,000 to $7,000 only to either be unable to hear the difference, or worse be convinced it was of no use to explore further.

Question: What is the best speaker system you have heard that is not a Klipsch product? Why?

Someone else said the assembly of art can only be appreciated if you understand the motivation of the artist.

A humble carpenter from Oklahoma. He has built a half dozen or so Jub clone pairs. Pretty good work. BEC has got a pair and the opinion is that they are pretty good copies of the real thing. He is not trying to make a living building and selling these things, but just sharing the love. [H]

Question: What is the best speaker system you have heard that is not a Klipsch product? Why?

Besides my 4-way horn stack with Audyssey EQ (containing a horn from 4 different makers), my friend's Open Baffle 3-way system with choice electronics in a good room. The speakers dissapear, the imaging soundstate is 3 D and wider than the spaker spacing.....amazing. Since it's direct radiators, it's not as dynamic a micro-transient-detailed as my big horns, but the illusion is very good.

• 3 months later...

Sunfire True Subwoofer

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks

To match the TRANSIENT response of a bass, midbass, midrange, and tweeter horns, you need a HORN SUB!!

For a given amount of cubic feet, you get the most sub-bass performance from a Tapped Horn Sub (it's not too late to get a Danley DTS-10 kit for less than a Kilobuck). Or, you can build your own using inexpensive Lab 12 drivers.