Cat Scratch problem.

gagelle

My cats are attracted to sitting on top of my speakers. I've already found some superficial scratches on my Cornwalls. I don't mind it when they perch on my old speakers that are already marked up, but not my new Cornwalls. Oh, the aggravation! I need something to cover the tops of the speakers that won't damage the finish. I found some rubber mat material at a store but it specifically said not to use it on finished furniture. There has to be a simple answer to this problem, other than getting rid of my cats. Thanks in advance for any help.

My cats are attracted to sitting on top of my speakers. I've already found some superficial scratches on my Cornwalls. I don't mind it when they perch on my old speakers that are already marked up, but not my new Cornwalls. Oh, the aggravation! I need something to cover the tops of the speakers that won't damage the finish. I found some rubber mat material at a store but it specifically said not to use it on finished furniture. There has to be a simple answer to this problem, other than getting rid of my cats. Thanks in advance for any help.

+1 on getting glass tops made for your speakers.

Roger

Thanks Wuzzer. There's a place in town that cuts glass to order. I tried towels but the cats liked that as a comfortable place to sleep! What's better for a cat than an indoor tree with comportable padding? The other day, I found that some of the stain had come off on a white towel that I used as a cover. It was just a small amount of stain but perhaps the heat from the cat's body made the stain liquify to some extent? Just a theory. Glass seems the beat way to go.

Thanks Wuzzer. There's a place in town that cuts glass to order. I tried towels but the cats liked that as a comfortable place to sleep! What's better for a cat than an indoor tree with comportable padding? The other day, I found that some of the stain had come off on a white towel that I used as a cover. It was just a small amount of stain but perhaps the heat from the cat's body made the stain liquify to some extent? Just a theory. Glass seems the beat way to go.

My money is on Spray if you have a male cat, or Urine cause body heat aint gonna do it!!!

Here Kitty Kitty Kitty....[:@]

Roger

Occam's Razor solution - We love the cats, but they live outside and guard the dog, the porch and the pick-up truck....

Irrespective of the "solution" however, a nice piece of properly cut glass on the tops is a good thing, particularly on oiled finishes. Keeps the dust off the wood/oil, and allows appropriate decorative things to be placed on them.

[H]

If you live in earthquake country (which the whole country potentially is, except for a minisule area in Montana, and another small patch of Texas), be sure that the glass is well attached to the Cornwalls, to avoid it flying through the air and decapitating someone..... there may be some kind of glass gripping clips that would attach to the backs of the Cornwalls, and reach over the tops just a bit. I almost think I've seen such a thing.

Otherwise, bedpad material covered in an attractive fabric???

Our cat is banned from our music room. I just wish she knew that.

I've heard of people putting cheap plastic car floor mats upside down on their cars to help save the paint from scratches. Depending on the cat, after a few days it should get tired of this prickly surface and find another "comfy" place .

I use OUT Indoor/Outdoor repellent to keep our cats off the speakers. Spray a little on a towel or something and put on top the speaker, you may have to repeat once a week or so for awhile. I mainly use it to keep them away from the passive radiator on the KG4's. For that I put a piece of aluminum foil behind the speaker and spray a little OFF on it.

Don't use too much as this stuff has a nasty odor.

If you live in earthquake country (which the whole country potentially is, except for a minisule area in Montana, and another small patch of Texas), be sure that the glass is well attached to the Cornwalls, to avoid it flying through the air and decapitating someone..... there may be some kind of glass gripping clips that would attach to the backs of the Cornwalls, and reach over the tops just a bit. I almost think I've seen such a thing.

How about safety glass, like used in sliding glass doors, or car windows?

How about safety glass, like used in sliding glass doors, or car windows?

Safety glass can still act as a horizontal guillotine when the whole sheet of it goes flying across the room. In the Bay Area quake of '89, I watched locked file drawers fly fully open, objects fly horizontally and then drop, while others lept upward and then fell.

Maybe those small metal clamps with rubber pads pressing against the glass (that showcases are put together with) would work.

• Moderators

If you want to keep the cats away from the speakers, try swapping your factory woofers out with these aftermarket ones.

That would work for sure.

Years ago with a different cat I would sit on the sofa and when the cat would walk to the end of the room with the speakers I would squirt her with a misting bottle set to shoot a stream. She never knew where it was coming from and eventually didn't go to that side of the room. May have been just a dumb or lazy cat but it worked.

My vote would be for the glass, protects even from dummies with drinks.

I have cats.....

I have had similar issues, but also including using speaker grilles as a scratching post.

The solution has been scratching posts, a large tall kitty tree and kitty beds.

(We have one post that is 3 feet tall)....

Cats like to be high up when they sleep often times....... (Probably why they choose the Corns).

Give them a Cat tree and a comfy bed and they will largely leave your speakers alone.

Also using an orange scented pledge to clean with works; Cats dislike the scent of citrus.

Finally; the glass is a good idea.

Good Luck.

If you live in earthquake country (which the whole country potentially is, except for a minisule area in Montana, and another small patch of Texas)..

Kinda like, "Ten out of ten people die."

Yes, but will some die prematurely due to a lack of caution? In the next x years very large earthquakes will occur in California, Oregon and Washington .... and isn't a new one about due in the area of New Madrid, Missouri? The last big one there knocked down a forest and rang church bells as far away as Boston. To forestall premature death (or serious injury), it is required at SFSU that all bookshelves, cabinets, etc. taller than 4 feet be attached to the wall.

I don't know what I'd do if my cats scratched my speakers. I have 3 cats, 2 are going on 14, and one is almost 10. They scratch cardboard boxes and basement exposed studs sometimes. Never touched any of my speakers or grill covers.

They do get let outside daily and go in the woods to do their cat things. That may be it.