A Led Zeppelin error.

gagelle

Sometimes I'll hear a song over and over and think nothing of it until one day the light bulb goes off, so to speak, and I realize how good it really is. This happened to an obscure piece on Led Zeppelin 3 called "Hats Off to (Roy) Harper. It's the last song on the album. It struck me how good the guitar work is. It's like the blues on acid. The last time I played the song it sounded like my left tweeter was breaking up at the beginning. As I went into a panic, my son reminded me the Led Zeppelin frequently left errors in their songs if they felt it was a good take. Sure enough, I put it on my living room equipment and heard the same crackling sound. It appears that their amplifier was breaking up when they recorded it. It made me feel a bit foolish for blaming my equipment and going into a panic.

Peter Gabriel's UP has a track (sort of) like that. It sounds a little fuzzy at first, then very slowly gets more fuzzy, almost like when a tube amp gets saturated. And in fact, when I was using my 3.5 watt SET amps that is what I thought it was. But 200w of McIntosh power laid that notion to rest. It's the recording and it's deliberate. The sound all of a sudden clears up at the end.

Anybody hear the talking at the end of one of the tracks (no I'm going to tell which one) on Joe Walsh's The Smoker You Drink The Player You Get? I guess either they didn't hear it or figured by the time it got to LP it would be inaudible.

At the beginning of PINK FLOYD'S, WISH YOU WERE HERE track (on the album of the same name) you can hear David Gilmour clear his throat prior to the beginning of his vocals. No effort was made to remove the sound.

On the lead-out groove of Side One of James Gang's Yer' Album, a voice repeats over and over, "Turn me over. Turn me over. Turn me over."

On Side Two, the voice in the lead-our groove says, "Play me again. Play me again. Play me again."

I've had that album for nearly forty years, but I first heard the voices only a month ago, after I read about locked grooves on Wikipedia and listened for them.

And if you hear it isolated, it sounds like half of his lung is expelled with the cough. [+o(]

At the beginning of PINK FLOYD'S, WISH YOU WERE HERE track (on the album of the same name) you can hear David Gilmour clear his throat prior to the beginning of his vocals. No effort was made to remove the sound.

Then you've got the saturation of Joni Mitchell's voice on the "Court and Spark" album, and the textbook inner groove distortion on "Hurry Sundown" from the Peter, Paul and Mary "Album." (Not "Album 1700") The latter is not present on the CD version, but the former is.

"...The last time I played the song it sounded like my left tweeter was breaking up at the beginning. As I went into a panic, ..."

I've had those moments, too. Yes, there is grunge that sounds like an overload in the lower mid. Sounds nasty. Maybe that's why it stayed in?

With a really good amp and a properly set up pair of K'horns, and if you listen for it, you can hear all kinds of neat artifacts and other interesting things you never heard before. Some things will of course drive you crazy LOL!!!

If you want to buy a song from Amazon for example, usually there are 4-5 different but allegedly identical recordings of the same song. Same song, some cleaner, some re-mastered, different release dates, etc. It's a good idea to "sample" all of them before picking the one you want. In order to sample the songs via computer however, you need a really good sound card to hear some of the differences... Using my old computer, and then with the new one which is now a music server with a really good high end "stereo" card that goes direct to the amps by way of the tape deck circuits..., I ended up going back and buying a different version on a number of songs. The difference with the new card was amazing.

My favorite example of really neat recording anomalies is Allison Krauss taking her breaths as she sings "Down to the River to Pray". 'Course Ms. Krauss can leave one breathless as it is....

[H]

There is a track on Nilsson Schmilsson that the woofer sounds like it is blowing up.

It is, but on the bass amp in the studio. Scared the living daylights out of me until I figured it out (I was playing it rather loudly at the time).

I have a vinyl copy from the 80s and it's hard to hear. It's very pronounced on my SHM CD copy. When i first heard it, I immediatly put it on my other system in the living room to make sure it wasn't my speaker. It could be that the SHM CD was mastered differently. Although I heard it on my record, it was much lower and hard to hear.

If you listen very closely to the final "famous" note on the Beatles A Day in the Life (from Sgt. Pepper's) you can hear some studio noises in the background. This includes (what sounds like) an A/C unit that is running to cool the room.

If we are listing errors on famous albums, I'd like to note the awful mic distortion on The Who's "Who's Next," cut "We don't get fooled again," when Roger Daltry comes back in after the synth break with the screaming "YEAHHH!!!!" just before "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.." This is also heard on the CSI:Miami theme as well as an older Nissan commercial. Don't you think they could digitally edit/manipulate that, especially on the remaster, to remove the overdriven mic distortion? I say studios ought to clean up such things if they have the chance.

For those who can't find the Led Zeppelin error: It's occurs at the very beginning of the song-- ("Hats Off to (Roy) Harper), the first 3 seconds. The guitar strumming distorts on one channel. It's most easily distinguished on my SHM-CD. Last night I heard it on a vinyl copy, but it was hard to hear. It could be something that was brought out more in the mixing of the SHM-CD.

"If you listen very closely to the final "famous" note on the Beatles A Day in the Life (from Sgt. Pepper's) you can hear some studio noises in the background. This includes (what sounds like) an A/C unit that is running to cool the room."

Ah, so. One of the books out in the last few years mentioned this. They had all hands around that day, literally, bang out that last cord on a few pianos and hold it. The control room rode the gain up as the note faded away to provide some sustain. One of the sounds is Ringo's butt shifting on the piano bench.