What happens when a train does a burnout

Jay481985

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy, that is something. Was with the Railroad for 34 years and never saw anything like that, I can't even imagine who that would happen. I'm not sure about the engine configuration, but the spacing doesn't seem to match up.

Simple matter to fix, cut rails and insert a new panel, no problem.

CB

You sure this is real? There's a ton of thermal mass on the tracks and the wood isn't even scorched...

Excellent!!,...... Ah you engineers are all alike [;)], far too much common sense.... you should be charging money for your opinions.

And if the tracks look like that, imagine what the wheels look like, their probably worn down to the axles.

• Moderators

Darn teenagers and there hopped up trains. [:|]

I wonder how long it took to do that ? They have a cool way to fix that, they just can fuse together sections of track, like welding them together but I don't remember what was used but remember seeing pic's of it . Maby it was Thermite that was used ?

• Moderators

Was with the Railroad for 34 years and never saw anything like that,

My Dad retired from the railroad after 40 years, Public Belt railroad in New Orleans. When I was a kid sometimes my Mother would take me up to meet him at work and he would take me for a ride on the train or to visit the round house which was what they called it, where they could turn the trains around and preform maintenance. It was amazing to see an engine with the body off, unbelievably heavy duty construction.

We were walking one day and a restored engine was passing, these tracks are right on the river next to the French Quarter.

post-11804-1381966000982_thumb.jpg

That's some wild track damage! It looks like the loco that did it was a six-axle unit, and the traction control on one truck wasn't operating properly, so those three axles were able to spin up, while the three axles on the other truck did not.

I'm guessing the locomotive, or set of locomotives, was trying to get a very heavy train moving. It's possible that the loco with the spinning wheels was the second or third one back, so the engineer and brakeman may not have been aware what was happening.

In any case, that section of track is out of service until it's fixed. I'd expect there would be a track gang onsite within a day, so the traffic could move through there again.

Several things. I agree that the heat required to degrade steel in that fashion had to be intense. It was intense on the track and intense on the wheels too. How did the back wheels advance beyond the track damage imposed by the forward wheels? Railroad ties are creosote soaked to prevent rotting. That is a carbon based, oil derived substance and there's not any ignition? All of that aside the only locomotive engine that might have done this had to be a pusher. If it was a pulling engine then the rest of the cars in the train would have had to have traversed over these marred rails. Uh Uh. That did not happen or we'd have a picture of a massive derail. So how did this perfect storm of events really happen? Maybe via photoshop?

Maybe I misinterpreted the narratives that accompanied the original posting. The title rather implies a 'burn out' like that associated with a vehicle burn out. That and the narrative led me to believe that this locomotive and/or other cars passed over these rails after the event occurred. More accurately it seems that a locomotive sat on this stretch of track and ran uncontrollably while unable to proceed forward (or backwards). I have to assume that the offending locomotive was lifted off of the tracks afterwards, and carted away. Still it is curious that so much heat that close to oil soaked lumber produced nary a singe. It would have been interesting to see the locomotive in situ prior to its removal. A series of photos would lend a lot more validity to the 'burn out' circumstance being described.

You sure this is real? There's a ton of thermal mass on the tracks and the wood isn't even scorched...

Would not the heat be spread across and down the metal rail rather than scorching the wood?

My first cynical thoughts were like Mike's. Yes the rails would draw heat away from the friction points, but would it be fast enough to avoid any discernible effect to the wood? Also, the rail metal adjacent to the melted areas shows no evidence of being extremely heated; not the least bit blued.

Notwithstanding the unexpected lack of supporting evidence of high heat, why would anyone go to the trouble to fake this?