I just got the best deal ever, no seriously must read

johnnydrama

PLEASE READ. I would like to issue an apology to the Klipsch forum and more importantly Jerome. Im not sure what his handle is here on the forum but he is a member. My post yesterday was immature, misleading, and not nice. Im embarrassed and remorseful for it but wanted everyone to know. He was on the forum last night and read the not so nice things I wrote. Rightfully so he pulled the agreement. I meant no harm or disrespect to anyone. I honestly was just so excited for the catch on the system and couldn't contain myself. I hope you all will forgive me. Im sorry.

Found an ad on CL late last week titled Klipsch 5.1 Surround Sytem ($2000). Curious to see what system it was I clicked on the link. The guy had listed all brand new in the boxes pair RF-82s fronts, RC-62 center, a pair of RS-52s surrounds, and a RW-10D sub. I thought well thats not a bad deal so I messaged the guy to see if it was still available, didn't hear anything for 3 days. Then I get a message saying they are still available. So I ask him a bunch of questions... How long have you had em? Is it the newest reference II line? etc... Turns out its not the newest reference line it's the line manufactured from 2006-10 so I use that against him saying that system isnt worth as much now and also that it's not the sub I want and I'll have to get rid of it after I buy because he was unwilling to sell seperate. We set up a time for me to come take a look at the system so I did yesterday. Sure enough it was the speakers he had listed all unopened in the boxes so I opened one of each to pull them out to take a look at them. So I began negotiating and again telling him it's not the exact system I'm really wanting(even tho it really is the system I want minus the RW-10d) and that it isn't worth $2k anymore due to the newer line being out. I got this complete sytem for $1k! And here's the real kicker that I left out... he mistyped the subwoofer in his add... it wasn't a RW-10d, it was a RSW-10d!!!! Huge difference! Couldn't believe it when I went to look at the speakers. I almost feel bad especially since I wasn't really in the market for a new system but could not pass this up. I'm picking it up tomorrow and paying him his $1k cash. Has anyone else ever gotten a deal this good? I'm sure some people have but I had to share the story. I can't wait to get it all setup. However I am trying to unload my current system now listed in my signature below. Just the 5 Klipsch Icon X line speakers. I have an ebay auction ending today at 1pm eastern time if anyone is interested or if it doesn't sell there pm me all reasonable offers + shipping. Thanks guys cheers!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Very nice score indeed. This is just another reminder to everyone that it is still a buyer's market and there are some sweet deals still to be had. Also that it never hurts to try and negotiate. You might just get what you are asking for.

Has anyone else ever gotten a deal this good?

This is one of the many deals that have been shared on the forum. I've seen guys get speakers for FREE so yes, there are even better deals to be had. LOL Not trying to bust your bubble. You did well and if you ever needed to sell it, you would easily be able to at the least get back the money you put into it.

Great deal. I am just wondering what kind of person would sell brand new speakers for half of what they were asking? They either needed money in a bad way, the speakers are stolen or they are just terrible at negotiating. There are deals on craigslist.

You know.....there are many needing to sell their gear because they are in desperate need. I'm not a fan of people playing mind games or takign advantage of people on CL when it comes to negotiation. Either you want it or you don't. Either it's a good deal, or it's not. There is no good in trying to devalue somebody's stuff when you are negotiating just to get the price down unless there are issues with it that weren't disclosed before viewing them. It really isn't necessary and it really aggrivates the seller and makes the whole thing potentially hostile.

My most recent CL score came about NOT because I was the first one to contact the seller, and NOT because I offered to pay more than the guy ahead of me, but because my communication was clear and honest. The seller told me I wasn't the first to respond, but she liked my email the best! By the way, that was the score of the century. $150 for a complete 5.1 system I later reluctantly resold for a tidy profit (to some clown that insisted on trying to talk me down on price, which was a game I didn't want to play and I didn't allow it).

Just my opinion -

• Moderators

There is no good in trying to devalue somebody's stuff when you are negotiating just to get the price down unless there are issues with it that weren't disclosed before viewing them. It really isn't necessary and it really aggrivates the seller and makes the whole thing potentially hostile.

I agree with you to a certain extent. I do all of my negotiating over the phone, email or text. I too am not fond of people showing up at my door, when I thought we had already agreed on a price, trying to get me to sell it even lower. My thought is they should have asked for a lower price before they came. I don't have a problem telling them no thanks and sending them back on their drive. I don't play games. As you have stated, unless there is something wrong with the items that were undisclosed, there is no need for further negotiating.

With that said, I do not have any problem making a low offer for an item someone is selling. They are under NO obligation to sell it for my offer and likewise I am under NO obligation to buy at their asking price. That's part of negotiating. Coming together on an AGREED price. If both parties cannot agree on a price, you simply move on. No need to get your feelings hurt or get mad. It's simply business and economics.

If someone emails me with a lowball offer, I simply reply with "I appreciate your offer but no thanks". Occassionally I have emailed them with comparable listings to show that my asking price is appropriate for the item I am selling.

Maybe you guys misunderstood due to the way I typed the original post. Negotiations were done through e-mail and I didn't devalue his equipment I just told him what his stuff was worth to me and what I'd be willing to pay for it. I would have prefered to pick up the newer reference II line and wasn't going to pay $2k for his. And I also had no interest in an RW-10D and would have tried to unload it after the purchase but since it's and RSW-10D I will probably keep it. I made an offer and he accepted. And as stated earlier by someone else my initial thoughts are he either (A) knew absolutely nothing about this sytem or what it's probably worth or (B) stole the system or © needed the cash and wasn't willing to hold out for a better offer. I'm not a dog eat dog kind of individual. My curiosity just lead me into a great deal. Don't think i should feel bad about that, and I don't.

You know.....there are many needing to sell their gear because they are in desperate need. I'm not a fan of people playing mind games or takign advantage of people on CL when it comes to negotiation. Either you want it or you don't. Either it's a good deal, or it's not. There is no good in trying to devalue somebody's stuff when you are negotiating just to get the price down unless there are issues with it that weren't disclosed before viewing them. It really isn't necessary and it really aggrivates the seller and makes the whole thing potentially hostile.

My most recent CL score came about NOT because I was the first one to contact the seller, and NOT because I offered to pay more than the guy ahead of me, but because my communication was clear and honest. The seller told me I wasn't the first to respond, but she liked my email the best! By the way, that was the score of the century. $150 for a complete 5.1 system I later reluctantly resold for a tidy profit (to some clown that insisted on trying to talk me down on price, which was a game I didn't want to play and I didn't allow it).

Just my opinion -

Sir.... Deep breaths .... Relax.... If the seller wants to sell for half his asking price that's his choice. Unless you Think there is something wrong with negotiation or the free market economy. Do you?

Not to Poop on your parade but how about a singlr Klipschorn for $200 in oak, how about a single pro LaScala for $50, how about a double car trailer full of Pro Klipsch speakers for $1000. All purchases that I personally have made. There is a guy here that got a pair of really nice Klipschorns to haul them away.

Roger

you better hope some doesn't sweep in with an email willing to pay his asking price. Craigslist IS a dog eat dog world, and until you've got the speakers in your car, it's far from a done deal. ;)

Ain't that the truth! To further rant about CL a bit, I had an offer to buy a whole set of speakers from a seller for his full asking price. Before I left to pick them up, he contacted me stating another party offered to pay MORE than his asking price, but felt the need to let me know and give me an opportunity to pay the new higher price. I politely refused - stating I'm not playing into a bidding war and agreed to the original terms which HE/NOT ME asked for. 3 days later, he told me to get the gear at the original price. I did, and when I asked him what happened to the other guy with the "higher offer", he told me he failed to show up to close the deal.

you better hope some doesn't sweep in with an email willing to pay his asking price. Craigslist IS a dog eat dog world, and until you've got the speakers in your car, it's far from a done deal. ;)

Ain't that the truth! To further rant about CL a bit, I had an offer to buy a whole set of speakers from a seller for his full asking price. Before I left to pick them up, he contacted me stating another party offered to pay MORE than his asking price, but felt the need to let me know and give me an opportunity to pay the new higher price. I politely refused - stating I'm not playing into a bidding war and agreed to the original terms which HE/NOT ME asked for. 3 days later, he told me to get the gear at the original price. I did, and when I asked him what happened to the other guy with the "higher offer", he told me he failed to show up to close the deal.

At that point I'd have offered him less than his original asking price.

At that point I'd have offered him less than his original asking price.

Yea, but then he would have been possibly upset and wouldn't have sold me the KSP-S6 surrounds for only $50 to go with the KLF 30s, C7 and KSW15 he sold me for $650! Some times, a good deal is simply good enough. In this case, a GREAT DEAL

That was a good deal, congrats.The best deal ever for you may be correct.Back in spring I bought some bookshelf speakers for $5, in another state, Rogers ls3 -5a or something, little bitty, I sold em' on ebay for $2000.

Hopefully, your seller doesn't read this forum and fine out the true value of these speakers, before you pick them up. I may have told him about the mistake in the subwoofer, but I guess it would depend on how I felt that day.

I could go get these as fast as I could before the deal falls through.

Good Luck