Bashing choices when members are asking for opinions.

Pete H

After a few years on this forum it still blows me away that when I read a new post from a person that is asking for an opinion there are those that think they are expert enough to tell you what an idiot you are if you purchase "X". Get a grip on life and try and post your opinion in a constructive and meaningful way, or if you are the worlds authority on anything relevant to the post, please scan your credentials in so we can all praise your accomplishments. I'm the first one to joke around and be sarcastic, but when someone that doesn't have thick skin asks for suggestions can you please keep your " this is what I did so it has to be right " attitude in check. Just remember that not everyone has the means that you might have, and beyond that, it's all about what puts a smile on your face, not what you think will put a smile on others. Have a wonderful day!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Good point Pete, also not all members are from this country or a country which speaks English.

With all that said you seem like a real nice guy Pete, it's to bad you suck at picking out equipment. [:o][:P]

I couldn't resist [6]

• Moderators

Did the pope die and you were elected?

Well it's kind of how it went, you were second in line but Pete is nicer [:o]

I really have no idea, I'm not even a catlick anymore......

I couldn't resist again, I'm probably one of the guilty [:$]

Pete I'll agree to the extent that telling someone they are an idiot for choosing X is not the way members should treat members.For the most part, as far as I've read, most of the time we do pretty good, but not always.I will give the forum credit, again for the most part we are not like many forums with constant drama and insults.I'm think in if someone chooses something they think it's right, human nature is to defend ones beliefs.To do that while being helpful and respectable, and NOT insulting members or their beliefs(right or wrong) is a noble idea and something to strive for.If all else fails, make your points and let it go is best.

Did the pope die and you were elected?

i think Pete was die recting this thread toward me when i apparently offended some Mitsubishi RPTV owners.
No, not specific to your comments about Mitsubishi, not directed to those that think if you don't own heritage you don't have real Klipsch, not directed to people that hate behringer, bose, sony, or anything else; just a general observation.

You guys are clueless. I wouldn't use brand X for a paper weight. I can't believe there's actually people here who've spent their hard earned money on it. What a bunch of losers. I use brand XXX and if you don't, you're not intelligent enough to respond to this post.

• Moderators

I hate brand X pure and simple

I absolutely love brand X and who are you to tell me that it is not the best in the world?

I think it was Jacksonbart, but it's ok, fish said it's better than nothing which is still ahead of brand B.

It does not really matter, the problem is the wires your using, everyone who loves brand X already knows the magic is in the wires and power cord combination, simple really.

i think we can collectively agree that ANYTHING is better than Bose and therefore ANYTHING should be acceptable in the eyes of man. Praise be to the Rock gods, for they are fair and just.

Don't you have a sub you should be calibrating or something?

dude, this whole job thing is getting in the way. i race home to quickly test stuff out - but then i have to spend time with wife, and chores, and dinner, and blah blah blah. i do some tweaking and re-calibration by around 10pm and it's too late for me to really test. so the next day, rinse and repeat. woe is me, right? as stated in my other thread, i'm impressed at how well this thing performs in spite of my crappy calibration and limited placement options [6]

About a hundred years or so when the world was young I took a job with a fairly “high end” audio retailer. Before I was allowed on the sales floor I had to undergo about a week of indoctrination… ERR… I mean “sales training”. This training was conducted for the most part by the owner of the company.

During the training there was some discussion about the various lines represented and inevitably someone asked “which is best”. The immediate answer was “there simply is no BEST in this business. What’s best for customer A can be and will be VERY different than what’s best for customer B”. He went on to say that if there was one “perfect for everyone” speaker system then the market would consist of one brand and one model of speaker. As we all know that is simply not the case.

One of the really great things about the audio/video market is the diversity. Is it all perfect? Of course not but I can promise you that the TV whose picture you think is simply awful has a loyal following of people who think it the best TV EVER.

There are VERY loyal fans of every brand (current & defunct) of audio equipment ever made. At the point at which nobody cares for a brand or even a particular model that brand or model disappears from the marketplace.

One of the other things that stuck with me from the “sales training” was to never EVER bash what a customer currently owned. As part of the discussion we were advised to ask the customer “so what do you have now?”. Unless the answer was “nothing” the response was to always be “nice, very nice, (whether it was or not). Here’s what I think might be a pretty nice upgrade for you”.

At the time the GOOD salesman would custom tailor the system to the customer’s budget, musical tastes, listening space and wishes.

I know any number of people including members of my family who are perfectly satisfied with their Bose systems. I respect that. I make absolutely no effort to tell them about the mistake they’ve made and make every effort to hide my utter contempt for the brand. Conversely none of them try to convince me to ditch my GIANT speakers (Cornscalas) in favor some teeny tiny acousta-cube or whatever.

Bottom line… Live and let live. Otherwise known as “there’s no accounting for taste”.