KLIPSCH DOESN'T MAKE ANY HIGH END STUFF

BigStewMan

That's the reply I got from a co-worker the other day at lunch after he said he wanted to build a new sound system at home. I said, "Go Klipsch." He says, "Klipsch is okay; but they don't make any high end stuff." He's a pilot and i should have asked him how he got his pilot's license with such pathetic hearing. I told him that i considered the Heritage line...high end. I was so afraid he was going to mention Bose and i would have had to stab myself with the straw from my drink. I've concluded that he just wants to think that whatever he has or wants is the best...just like my Klipsch forum friends...except we're right. Steve

That's the reply I got from a co-worker the other day at lunch after he said he wanted to build a new sound system at home. I said, "Go Klipsch." He says, "Klipsch is okay; but they don't make any high end stuff."

I would've asked him what his budget was and pretended to know something about building a quality sound system.

• Moderators

Just tell him, that sound about right, MOST people don't know but they make very good speakers.

They are so good there are only a very few limited dealers, you would be very luck to be able to even audition the better models. But that's because there that special, sales are good, some even buy without even hearing the speakers, it's a good thing you asked you may not have even found out. [H]

bigstewman,

Thanks for posting. Interesting story and ironic perception of Klipsch.

as mentioned above, it does sound reasonable that his perception of Klipsch comes from Best Buy.

if you ever have him over to your house to listen, don't do it after he's purchased his high end system. That would be devastating for him. [:P]

The general public, Best Buy, Klipsch connection never occurred to me. I'll bet that is where he formed his opinion. I guess i can't fault Klipsch for grabbing another consumer demographic--just a shame that people conclude "that is all they are." And then some people are just clueless. My brother told me that he'll have people over, crank it up a bit and "let the Cornwalls breathe" and some just say "yeah they sound nice," and that frustrates him so much. But, whenever musicians or a person with some hi-fi knowledge comes over, they go crazy about how great they sound. Maybe Klipsch needs to get a White Van, drive through parking lots, and let the public know just how good they really are.

..And then some people are just clueless. My brother told me that he'll have people over, crank it up a bit and "let the Cornwalls breathe" and some just say "yeah they sound nice," and that frustrates him so much....

Again, that brings up the point of what your lunch buddy wants to spend on speakers and what he considers "high end." Ya know, he may very well bring up the "b" word and that would give you an idea where to start...To those people I recommend the AVS Forum for Speakers and have them search for the word "Bose." If he truly wants to spend $10k on speakers there are alot of nice options out there but then I would encourage him to listen to a well setup RF-7II package running towers all of the way around (and smaller speakers for surrounds if he can't manage the fit) for less than that so he knows what high end quality sounds like and then decide if spending more would be worth it.

That said, he may be like some of the people your brother had over and those want to be told what to buy and then they get to give like-minded people advice after their purchase. After all this is the Internet Age and no one auditions speakers anymore. [;)]

To be honest, I don't even remember where I first heard of Klipsch. When I started looking at a new HT, it was the first brand I thought of and there just so happened to be a dealer in the town where I live, so I was able to go listen to them. I did a little research prior and from what I had read they seemed to have the sound that I was looking for. Although at times I wish I would have demoed some different brands just to get a comparison, but I'm glad I went Klipsch and will probably be Klipsch for life.