Interconnects

ChipByrd

I am sure this has been discussed ad nauseam, but have you men found significant improvement switching interconnects? I had a chance to pick up some Audio Metallurgy GA-0's. Here's the thing: I kept switching them back and forth with the ones I bought from Blue Jeans Cable and couldn't notice a bit of diffrence. Granted, I am relatively new to the hifi world, but zero... zilch... not ANY difference. Are there other interconnects I should try? Or is this one of those bits of marketing magic?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep....some folks can tell a difference if they switch cables, tubes, capacitors, crossovers, tweeters, horns, spikes, no spikes, in corner, not in corner, wires on elevators, wires not on elevators, regulated power vs non regulated power, balanced power vs non balance power, tubes vs solid state, and some folks can not.

Your ears do not deceive you. Woo-wire hucksters never seem willing to provide any tangible evidence of the superiority of their products, but most are never short of flim-flam marketing, often incorporating a bit of fact woven into a larger tapestry of bullshit designed expressly to lighten your wallet.

Check out what the pros use. It's based purely on the functional capability of the wire to perform the task, not magic. Lots of them use Blue Jeans product.

The most critical aspect of an interconnect is the length. If the interconnect is not long enough to reach from the componet to the Pre Amplifier, you will definitely hear a difference.

............. rolling.gif

That is funny! Nice one CT!!

Dennie

Your ears do not deceive you. Woo-wire hucksters never seem willing to provide any tangible evidence of the superiority of their products, but most are never short of flim-flam marketing, often incorporating a bit of fact woven into a larger tapestry of bullshit designed expressly to lighten your wallet.

Check out what the pros use. It's based purely on the functional capability of the wire to perform the task, not magic. Lots of them use Blue Jeans product.

It's like the question when we were teenagers......which rubbers feel the best. I would like to watch a comic strip of two clowns trying to apply a scientific approach on the woo rubbers. Second to that...is reading why one capacitor is better than the other....one tube better than the other...one wire better than the other. Why does something have to be better.....it's that primal monkey thing....female monkey picks the better one...biggest screamer...smelliest...the one the other monkeys run away from. We all want to be the big dog monkey.

if you dont hear it, dont worry about it and move on. I got to a certain point with both the ICs and speaker wires where I stopped hearing anything significantly different in my auditioning so I stopped. I am happy with my system as it is now. I would note that for me, in my system, with my equipment, with my music, tube rolling, swapping amplification and source components all had more dramatic effects than any changes I made in wires. YMMV, IMHO, yadda, yadda. enjoy the music! tony

i just buy whatever looks good in my room. if my speaker cable can be seen why not have it dressed up a bit. so monoprice cables for me with black teck flex with the gold wrap pinstripe to kind of match the klipsch colors and gls audio banana plugs. they look great and sound juuust fine

Can you hear a difference? I don't know, but I've done some recent experimentation, and this is what I figured out.

First, I started with some barbed wire that I found on a recent hike. The highs came off pretty sharp and the mid-range was somewhat rusty sounding. I then tried a straighted out wire coat hanger. It seemed the notes just hung there in the air and the bass came off like as though it was dragging on the floor. I then got some left-over Ethernet cable and tried that. Seemed the sound came off sounding "digital". Not only that, but when there was a lot of bass, it seemed to get congested.

Oh well, went back to my generic Radio Shack cables and my system went back sounding, well, like my system. [;)]

• 3 weeks later...

I have found best results with Radio Shack's best shielded interconnects, with gold plated connectors. You can pay $15 for a 1m pair or $1000 for a 1m pair of 'Golden Dragon' interconnects or others with fancy names that add absolutely nothing to the sound performance of your system.

I have also found that you will get better results of you can use balanced interconnects instead of RCA connectors, and if you can keep the interconnect length to the minimum necessary.

I'm sure others will disagree with the Radio Shack recommendation, but you be the judge.

these threads are painfull. so something does not make any difference and we can all have agood time with the tar and feathers on those who object but wait I have a recommendation that is great and it only costs......so where is the line? you said it does not make a difference but you have a recommendation, please. everything matters to some degree get over it and learn to draw your own lines and stop worring about others and what they think. Best regards Moray James.

All that is necessary is that the wires be in good electrical condition and be long enough to reach the connection points, for lengths normally found in home installations. I asked a salesman at an audio salon a few years ago to show some interconnects to me that would sound different, so he plugged in some wires and indeed they changed the sound. The highs were rolled off and it sounded horrible. I asked why anyone would want to do that to their system and he said people used them to tame a system that was "too bright". So one applies an undefined correction to an unmeasured problem and that properly corrects the problem, for only $900? Not too bright, IMO.

As long as you are chaning the interconnects, you'd better replace your power cords too. You know how much better it can sound with an audiophile power cord on your components. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the importance of buying $200 power cords. Just might make you smile. [6]

I can hear the difference between magnet wire (Cardas), copper and silver. I can hear the difference between capacitors of different type, and the difference between a dirt cheap metallized polypropylene, a quality one, and a good film and foil. Most of you have hearing damage and are half deaf from years of high SPL exposure. If you fall into that category, or are getting on in years, or wear hearing aids -- please don't bother with telling me what I can and cannot hear.