Best tuner on market new and vintage? Any suggestion

BBZink

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Magnum Dynalab, expensive (but probably not like Sequerra), once claimed to make analog tuners: http://www.magnumdynalab.com/

I have an MD 102, which I think has been superseded, and had it upgraded to a triode tube output so it became an MD 102T. I think it sounds very nice and analog.

Larry Zurowski, owner and president, was Canadian nice, very easy to talk to, and answered the company phone when I last called them.

For pure reception capabilty I have found the Sony XDRF1HD to kick some serious butt. For whatever reason none of my tuners would reliably pickup the kid's favorite station from about 30 miles line of sight over water. The Sony does a great job with the stock single wire antenna where my other tuners would not lock in using a Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna. Stock, it equals vintage tuners that I had aligned and modded by Radio X Tuners. This is not to say that the money paid to Radio X Tuners was not well spent just that in stock form the Sony worked great. I am comparing reception capability only.

My Onkyo T-9090 worked really well but I sold it before moving so I don't know how it would have performed here. Silly me, I thought that line of sight over water would have been easy; not so.

Make sure that you have good FM to pick up before you spend much money on a tuner.

I had a Sansui 717 that was modified like crazy and tested better than a few of the "supertuners" like the 919 and 9900.

I sold it becuase our local stations all have "HD2 and HD3" which does not mean Hight Definition. These take bandwidth away from the other fm stations and they all sound thin and crappy.

FM Tuner Info will just have you spend a whole bunch of money on an old tuner that doesn't have a remote.

Marantz made some tuners, like a 6000 that is very good (good reviews - don't know if it has a remote)

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/marantz-st6000_e.html

They also made a 7001 which I think has the HD channels (or XM).

For pure reception capabilty I have found the Sony XDRF1HD to kick some serious butt. For whatever reason none of my tuners would reliably pickup the kid's favorite station from about 30 miles line of sight over water. The Sony does a great job with the stock single wire antenna where my other tuners would not lock in using a Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna. Stock, it equals vintage tuners that I had aligned and modded by Radio X Tuners. This is not to say that the money paid to Radio X Tuners was not well spent just that in stock form the Sony worked great. I am comparing reception capability only.

My Onkyo T-9090 worked really well but I sold it before moving so I don't know how it would have performed here. Silly me, I thought that line of sight over water would have been easy; not so.

i read good thing about this sony, but sony is sony, so they get rid of it, and no more available! What is it with this company, as soon as they do something good, they dismantled it? strange...

The best I have owned was the the Marantz 20B.....Smoked the Mcintosh MR-71 that I had.

I got rid of all my Tuners after I got a Squeezebox Touch.....Now I use MOG which provides better fidelity than any Tuner I've heard. True CD Quality. This is with the SBT plugged into a High Quality DAC.

The best will be very expensive, and there are very few good signals left out there. Marantz 10B, and the DaySequera models (actually the very same designers) are universally accepted to be the best ever by a wide margin. The founder of Sequera designed the 10B.

Edit: I see now you have found a tuner disregard.

I will upgrade anyhow, so i go check sequra

The best will be very expensive, and there are very few good signals left out there. Marantz 10B, and the DaySequera models (actually the very same designers) are universally accepted to be the best ever by a wide margin. The founder of Sequera designed the 10B.

Edit: I see now you have found a tuner disregard.