People who steal just suck

jhoak

I sold my RF-3 IIs this week so I decided to get one of my pairs of beater Heresys out of storage. I split the rent on a climate controlled 5' x 10' with a friend of mine. I get there this morning and as I go to unlock the padlock I notice that the shackle has been cut. From the looks of the cut it was done with a pair of bolt cutters. It would have had to been a big @$$ bolt cutter because the lock was pretty substantial.

Gone was 2 pairs of Heresys, a Marantz 2270 receiver, a Marantz 2325 receiver, a Sony 3-head cassette deck and a Teac R2R deck. The rest of what I had in there looked like it had been gone through but nothing else taken. I called my friend and told him what happened and he came down to see what of his had been taken. He lost a TV, a couple of guns and some other electronic pieces.

We went to the manager to ask if there was any kind of insurance or other recourse. Of course we were told "it happens... sorry about your luck". He told us that we could call the police but it probably would matter even if they did bother to show up.

On the way out we walked down the row of storage units and almost all of the locks had been cut. We went back to the office and reported that to the manager and suggested he contact the people renting them. He just shrugged and said "it's not my problem". @$$HAT!

My friend and I pulled the remainder of our stuff out of the unit and told the manager to kiss our lilly white @$$es as there would be no further rent forthcoming.

CRUD!!! I think I'll start drinking early today.

The worst part is that this leaves me Klipsch-less for the first time in a lot of years.

I'm not without speakers to listen to. I currently have a pair of Maggies in the living room but I would prefer a pair of Klipsch.

The Maggies are nice but my ears are acoustomed to and appreciate the Klipsch sound.

I just don't have the extra coin righ now to be shopping for a new (pre-loved) pair of speaker so I guess I'll be listening to my SMG-As for a while.

I could have much worse problems.

No security cameras?

I don't know. I'm assuming that that's the local PO's job to investigate.

Right now I'm trying to track down the owner so he and I can have a couple of four letter word laced conversation with.

I find it 100% unacceptable that I pay rent and expect a level of security only to be stolen from.

Also unnacceptable is the manager's attitude of "oh well".

When I track down who owns this facility he's going to get an earfull.

Jeff,

That is crazy. No recourse with the storage company owner huh?

The worst part is that this leaves me Klipsch-less for the first time in a lot of years.

If you want, you could "borrow" my recapped Heresy BR's with CT-125's for a while and "possible" purchase in the future if you are interested.

http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/i/f/1301530731.jpg

Or the RB-35's if you prefer. No commitment to purchase either pair.

Bill

Man I am really sorry for your loss. Any chance you had taken down the serial numbers of the speakers and electronics? With the on-site manager's "Oh well" attitude I can't help but think that he is somehow connected to the thieves. Either as the thief himself or pointing out to others which units have moveable items and are rarely visited. Sorry again for your loss.

Bill, Thank you very much for the offer but I'm already deeply indebted to you and I'd prefer to not go any further in debt.

There is no lack of speakers here. Currently there's an old pair of Maggies singing in my living room. Not Kliptch but not bad either.

I'm more pissed off about the theft and the managements "oh well" attitude than anything else.

Jeff that really does suck, and unlike that storage place manager--i'm genuinely sorry. I've got a beater set of H2s collecting dust; but, i'm a pretty fair distance from you and the shipping cost would probably exceed the value of the speakers.

i'd would think that the combined value of all the goods stolen from all the units would get the local p.d. interested. - steve -

Bill, Thank you very much for the offer but I'm already deeply indebted to you and I'd prefer to not go any further in debt.

I know when someone refers to the word borrow it usually implies debt, but seriously, I will let you use them until I need them back.

I'm more pissed off about the theft and the managements "oh well" attitude than anything else.

I would be livid.[8o|]

Bill

• Moderators

Sorry to hear this, that's low, takes a real dirtbag to steal and it sounds like the guy that runs the place is in on it or just as bad with his attitude. Makes you want to get in trouble doing something stupid. [:@]

I sold my RF-3 IIs this week so I decided to get one of my pairs of beater Heresys out of storage. I split the rent on a climate controlled 5' x 10' with a friend of mine. I get there this morning and as I go to unlock the padlock I notice that the shackle has been cut. From the looks of the cut it was done with a pair of bolt cutters. It would have had to been a big @$$ bolt cutter because the lock was pretty substantial.

Gone was 2 pairs of Heresys, a Marantz 2270 receiver, a Marantz 2325 receiver, a Sony 3-head cassette deck and a Teac R2R deck. The rest of what I had in there looked like it had been gone through but nothing else taken. I called my friend and told him what happened and he came down to see what of his had been taken. He lost a TV, a couple of guns and some other electronic pieces.

We went to the manager to ask if there was any kind of insurance or other recourse. Of course we were told "it happens... sorry about your luck". He told us that we could call the police but it probably would matter even if they did bother to show up.

On the way out we walked down the row of storage units and almost all of the locks had been cut. We went back to the office and reported that to the manager and suggested he contact the people renting them. He just shrugged and said "it's not my problem". @$$HAT!

My friend and I pulled the remainder of our stuff out of the unit and told the manager to kiss our lilly white @$$es as there would be no further rent forthcoming.

CRUD!!! I think I'll start drinking early today.

OMG! That guy is a moron! Either that, or he is the one who provided the bolt cutters. I'd find out a little more about that one...

Quite a few of the units broken into and the manager doesn't care? That really does smell like an inside job.

I'd be going to the police and to the news. Who knows how many other customers don't realize yet that they've been robbed? It appears that they won't find out until they visit their locker, which could be some time from now.

Normal procedure would have been for the manager to take notice of the broken locks, then call the police and all the affected customers. His behaviour is very negligent, to say the least.

Well it's shaping up to be a total write off. The homeowners can't do anything because my name does not appear on the rental contract. The unit was rented by my friend he let me put my stuff in there as a favor. Of course he didn't buy any additional insurance at the time of the rental.

The facility does have video surveillance but it runs through a HD based DVR and only has the last 7 days of video available. It's probably been 4 or 5 months since I was last there. The detective I talked to this morning wasn't very encouraging. He told me that the PD had "a number" of content theft cases from that facility. It's in a "not so nice" end of town.

I did find the owner's name. He's from out of state and owns quite a few of these storage facilities. I have a call in to his office but haven't heard back yet. The woman I talked to said that the owner really doesn't get involved with any of the properties. Everything is left up to the local manager.

I read through part of the rental contract this morning and yes the property bears no responsibility whatsoever for any loss due to theft of contents. I called a former coworker who is an attorney and asked him if I had any chance in small claims court. Between the fact that my name isn't on the original rental contract and the contract's loss disclaimer pretty much none. I think his exact words were "not a prayer".

If there's any consolation at all it's that none of the electronics worked very well. They all needed service of one kind or another. The Heresys were real beaters that I was planning to refinish as soon as I could afford to. And best of all is that I really didn't have a lot of money tied up in the whole pile.