g

Axz Hout

• Moderators

I can only remember a few

The same exact same Grand funk and Led Zeppelin, and a Chicago and Santana but not sure what the last two were, It's been a looong time, don't have any of them anymore.

If I remember correctly [:S] that was around when FM radio got a popular rock station in New Orleans, WRNO the rock of New Orleans, it was called. They even had what they called album hour on Fridays where they would play one side at a time without interruptions, that was a big deal.

First LP: one by the Ventures

Second LP: Insight Out by the Association...still a great album

Otherwise all my first records were 45 rpm: Day Tripper/We Can Work it Out by the Beatles; Kicks by Paul Revere and the Raiders; I can't remember the rest, but I generally bought one or two 45 records each week in the mid to late 1960's...starting around 1965-66. I had a few hundred by the time I joined the Army in 1972. And a nice collection of LPs by then, too!

-Andy

Can't remember when I got MY first LPs. Probably some Kingston Trio or Smothers Brothers... I know between my brother and myself we ended up with around 20 of the Kingston Trio albums. That's how I learned to play guitar.

The first Stones album was Satanic Majesties Request.

This is tough. I know I did not buy any Stones or Beatles. My cousin always bought those and I'd borrow his as needed. I recall owning Hendrix, Zepplin, Moody Blues, Small Faces, Donovan, Steve Miller, Doors, Spirit, Santana, Canned Heat, Cream, the 1st Iron Butterfly..... Which 10 came 1st? Very hard to say. My parents had lots of LP's as did my older brother. They all got co-mingled. The household stereo was of much better quality than the TV. JBL D130's and Fisher/Garrard.

This is tough. I know I did not buy any Stones or Beatles. My cousin always bought those and I'd borrow his as needed. I recall owning Hendrix, Zepplin, Moody Blues, Small Faces, Donovan, Steve Miller, Doors, Spirit, Santana, Canned Heat, Cream, the 1st Iron Butterfly..... Which 10 came 1st? Very hard to say. My parents had lots of LP's as did my older brother. They all got co-mingled. The household stereo was of much better quality than the TV. JBL D130's and Fisher/Garrard.

Ooh... I did have a few of the Moody Blues, Donovan, Canned Heat, and the 1st Iron Butterfly, but as you say, "which came first?"

Vinyl was Rolling Stones Through The Past Darkly shaped octogon. I can't remember much vinyl but once I turned 16 and got an eight track in my mustang then I started buying some.

The Who Who's next

The Guess Who Best Of

Pink Floyd Uma Guma

Grand Funk Railroad Mark Don and Mel and Footstomping music I think

Black Oak Arkansas Can,t remeber the name

Johnny Cash Folsom Prison

Beatles White Album

Rolling Stones High Tides and Green Grass

I'll have to dust off some cobwebs for this list:

Creedence; Bayou Country, Allman Bros: Fillmore East, Rolling Stones: Hot Rocks, Steppenwolf: Live, Gold. Doors: Morrison Hotel, Beatles Abbey Road, Past Masters Vol. 2-(was initially released on vinyl & cassette under another name, can't recall the original title). Led Zep II, CSNY:Deja Vu, That sounds about right.

That'd be it. Here's a few additional notables. John Mayal' 'Bluesbreakers, 'Vincebus Eruptum' by Blue Cheer, 'Birth of a Beat' by Sandy Nelson (my parents owned this one) and Herb Alpert and his Tijuana Brass. The parents owned a small stack of 45's that included Jorgen Ingmanns version of 'Apache'.

The first one I bought with my own money was "A Session With Gary Lewis and the Playboys." I always liked the photo on the back of the cover, where Gary's Dad (comedian Jerry Lewis) was seated, checking out the records, while Gary stood by. It seemed Gary was really craving his Dad's approval.

Before that, I'd received Chipmunk albums ("AAAALVIIIIN!!"), The Sword in the Stone soundtrack, etc. Of course my older sister was buying Beatled albums, while my brother leaned toward folk (Dylan, Pete Seeger, Peter Paul and Mary). I still love 'em all!