Why do I like the sound of Chorus Is better than my Forte IIs?

wuzzzer

So after having my $50 craigslist Chorus Is as my main speakers for almost a week, I've decided that they will become the main speakers in my setup. $50, torn but repaired woofer, scratched up cabinets, completely stock. As you can see in my signature below, my Fortes are pretty heavily modified as the only original components they have are the cabinets and woofers. Better synergy with my receiver?

I had thought about performing the same or similar modifications to the Chorus' as I did to my Fortes but now I'm worried. Maybe I'm messing with perfection?

I modified Forte IIs with Crites titanium tweeters and updated crossovers. They sounded very very good and I thought, "ok this is it".

Then a pair of Chorus IIs came along, stock. I have kept them original and sold the Forte IIs. Not putting down the Forte IIs at all, but these Chorus IIs just have a bigger, more effortless sound. Do bigger cabinets create that?

I'm in the same boat as you, and for me I don't want to try and improve them.

I've never heard a Chorus, or the Crites replacement xovers or titanium drivers, But, being a conservative soul, I wouldn't be so inclined to mess with supposed improvements.

I'm one of the few here who tried substituting Crites tweeters in my very well-engineered AK-4 crossover/tweeter/mid-driver setup, but found backward as well as forward steps and put things back the way they were. I decided that, for me, it might not pay to mess with good Klipsch-engineered products. Specifically, the tweeter and mid range were no longer exactly similar in the CHARACTER of the music's transient response and timbre. I also thought the balance changed between the two as I walked from side to side, which suggested different polar responses to me. The AK-4's produced a seamless blend from every angle.

IOW, if your Choruses sound good, I myself would leave them be.

The original Forte smoked the original Chorus hands down, I demonstrated this to the Klipsch factory rep at the time.

Klipsch then changed both speakers, and the Chorus II then sounded better than the Forte II.

I have both iis in very different situations. The fortes are preferable to me so it could depend on the room.

Rooms always make a difference.

Our demo room that most of the Klipsch were in was quite large and had a 10' ceiling that was dropped from the true 14' ceiling (roof). This acted like a huge bass trap and I had to make false corners that were sand-filled for the Klipschorns in order to give them some bass.

I haven't heard the Chorus or Forte, but the Chorus has a 15" woofer, right? Forte has a 12" woofer, right?

My guess would be that even though the Forte has a volume optimized cabinet for the 12" woofer, ie. an advantage over Heresy, that the Chorus will be moving more air and perhaps better bass extension.

Stock Chorus vs stock Forte this would still be true, no?

Perhaps this accounts for the subjective preference.

As happy as I am with my forte and it's overall performance, especially the bass, there is a presence with my Chorus, especially the bass, that as was previous stated about displacement, physics of the thing, that I cannot escape from. And, I have not gotten around to the port extension mod. that others have done with their Chorus. Another happy Chorus owner, I presume.[H]Cheers

Same room, same speaker location in room, same everything. I think I'm going to replace the grill cloth, refinish the cabinets and be done with it.

That was sort of my poorly made point. A different room with both speakers auditioned may give you a different result.

As for bass extension, the figures from Klipsch show the forte and forte ii with flatter response down to a lower frequency. The physics of no replacement for displacement is probably at work here. The larger horns in the same room are going to have more presence, as amply demonstrated by hearing the jubilees in a relatively small space. It confirmed my belief that there is really no such thing as a speaker too big for the room unless you take it to ridiculous extremes. Tigerwood, I might be one who would say yes to the forte over the chorus even ignoring the different horn in the ii, if you have listened to both and like the balanced sound and response curve of the forte better. In the case of the Chorus I, you are also talking about the difference between a rear passive system versus a front ported right? It would be hard to go wrong either way.

modifications were poorly chosen from a lack of choices

Craig,

Please elaborate. I have the Forte IIs and have done the Crites upgrades to tremendous satisfaction. After your comment I would like to know what I might have missed.

Brad,

First off I said I "suspect" and stated it that way because most of my experience with speakers is big heritage although I owned chorus speakers for years. But let me ask you a question first before I elaborate on my thought. What upgrades did you do and please describe best you can the improvement?