KHORNS

Jim and Laura

Those are the little risers that keep the cables off the floor for improved sound

Keeps me from running the vacuum cleaner over them and tearing them up... [8-)]

Then again, I just use zip cord for my cables, so they are cheap to replace.

Bruce

[:^)]

What's a vacuum cleaner ? Is it to clean vacuum tubes ?

I find the 5 horse shop vac works quite well for getting the loose hair out of my beard. Gotta be kinda careful around the eyebrows though... Taz

Human beings have very poor sense of spl, most of the sensation of loud is the change in distortion characteristic.

Agreed. One of the old, highly distorting 1 1/2 watt transistor radios
could sound "louder" -- at least to most ears -- than a powerful system
with efficient speakers, and also louder than a live acoustical band,
but measure much lower in SPL. It still cracks me up when someone worries that their ears may be in peril when
their tiny, distorting, TV speakers seem to be too loud. The brain
mistakes high distortion for high SPL, but the more experience one has
with live acoustical music, the less this happens, IMO.

With my Khorns (with a Belle center) 1 wt/channel is usually plenty loud. REALLY, REALLY LOUD (with a SPL meter and ears) would be 6 to 8, or perhaps 10 watts. For peak readings of 110 dB at 17 feet away (with -- perhaps 123 dB unread peaks on the leading edge of transients, since VU meter ballistics would predict that), my old power amp meter sometimes showed 25 watts, which shook windows on the other end of the house, created a good breeze in the room, temporarily threw a desk behind listening position out of square, and convinced people 4 rooms away that we were having an earthquake. Don't try this at home, unless you are willing to take some risk. Be sure the treble is not turned up and that programs like Audyssey are turned off, to safeguard the tweeters. Beware movie soundtracks in which the LFE can go down to 5 Hz (for no good reason!).

As I've said before, the 4 Speakerlab SKhorns (factory built, plywood, aluminum 350s and T-35s) used in a DJ biz in the 70s played so loud and clear the SPLs were dangerous. The SKs were 8 ohm, so 2 per channel created a 4 ohm load to the Dynaco 400, which put out 300 watts/channel into 4 ohms.

One time a woman called to book a return engagement. When I quoted a price, she asked, "Does that include the drummer?" It was all I could do to convince her there had not been a live drummer the first time. She'd never before experienced that much horn loaded sound in such a relatively small space.

In addition to accelerating my high frequency hearing loss, all that SS power regularly fried the voice coils of the T-35s. I could call EV on Monday and a new diaphragm and an invoice for $11.00 would arrive in time for the next weekend's gig. I mailed a lot of checks to 600 Cecil St., Buchanan, MI. Those were the days.